Corruption -- I've been forced to pay 200 baht fine on departure to a thai officer. In Ranong.

By the way, about 2-3 years ago when I was leaving Thailand for Burma to renew my visa excempt by water, by boat, in Ranong, on depature a thai officer on the thai border asked me to show him 20k baht cash when I gave him my passport to get the departure stamp. They didn't mind me renewing my visa excempt, though. I didn't have that much cash and I ended up paying 200 baht fine. There were a few more farang there who probably have been fined as well. I realized later that cash should only be shown when entering a country.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chado said:

I realized later that cash should only be shown when entering a country.

I assume that they wanted to see it to insure you did not have a problem when re-entering the country since it was evident you were just doing a border hop for a new entry.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I assume that they wanted to see it to insure you did not have a problem when re-entering the country since it was evident you were just doing a border hop for a new entry.

Hmmm. Then why didn't they give me 20k cash instead? :smile: I'd for sure be secure.