Pigs

Khonwan

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone fattening pigs commercially here in Thailand?

Not yet, but I spent today clearing a small area of land that will probably support 20 pigs or so. I'm thinking of using the dung and urine as fertilzer for the "beer garden".

A great way to use the dung is put it in the fish pond as fish food. We have two fish ponds and the fish grow like h***

I will start a sort of banking in pigs, give one female pig to a family, when the pig is adult and has pigs of her own they give me 2 pigs back. That way that (poor) family has a way of income and I have a 100% return on investment, it helps both sides.

Joe

Depending on the size and depth of your fish ponds that idea is reasonable to a point. You will eventually reach the point of suffocation for the fish.

As far as giving a gilt to a 'poor family' how will they pay for food unless they have a rice mill, which is the way most local people breed pigs ?

I developed 8 piglets from 4 weeks to 6 months ( optimum age for slaughter ) and the nett profit was minimal.

Had one of those pigs died ( can easily happen ) my profit was gone....too risky.

As an aside the first litter is not suitable for breeding.

Gestation period is 114 days and the shagging charge is 500 Baht. ( if u don't have a Boar)

Depending on the size and depth of your fish ponds that idea is reasonable to a point. You will eventually reach the point of suffocation for the fish.

As far as giving a gilt to a 'poor family' how will they pay for food unless they have a rice mill, which is the way most local people breed pigs ?

I developed 8 piglets from 4 weeks to 6 months ( optimum age for slaughter ) and the nett profit was minimal.

Had one of those pigs died ( can easily happen ) my profit was gone....too risky.

Gestation period is 114 days and the shagging charge is 500 Baht. ( if u don't have a Boar)

You're right, if the pond is small you will reach the point of suffocation. We are lucky to have two huge ponds (with fish) and a smaller one (no fish). With us it works fine.

If your profit is gone when you lose one pig I would stop immediately as it makes no sense. We keep pigs from 1 - 4 months and have a profit of about 1000 baht per pig. Not big money but pigs are just one of the activities of our farm.

Joe

You're right, if the pond is small you will reach the point of suffocation. We are lucky to have two huge ponds (with fish) and a smaller one (no fish). With us it works fine.

If your profit is gone when you lose one pig I would stop immediately as it makes no sense. We keep pigs from 1 - 4 months and have a profit of about 1000 baht per pig. Not big money but pigs are just one of the activities of our farm.

Joe

Break even is fine as long as you get a good pork chop out of the deal! What are you feeding the pigs and how many sq meters is a "small" pond and how many for a "big" pond. Also, how many pigs do you have?

I'm a bit concerned about the smell from the pigs. Is it a problem at your place?

rgds

Joe

Break even is fine as long as you get a good pork chop out of the deal! What are you feeding the pigs and how many sq meters is a "small" pond and how many for a "big" pond. Also, how many pigs do you have?

I'm a bit concerned about the smell from the pigs. Is it a problem at your place?

rgds

Current cost of 30-day-old piglets from local breeders: 1,000 baht. Feed per pig: 2,200 baht. Sell at around average 105kg. Current price: around 39 baht per kg, but likely to go up to 45-50 baht over the new year.

Smell? Washing pigs/pens once per day (pressure hose) prevents any serious smells. My pens are 400 metres from my house and at least 1,000 metres from my neighbours' homes so no problems.

Very easy work. Until you have several hundred pigs, no need for hired help. I currently have 125, which involves only 2 hours of work per day.

Forgive me if your question is not addressed to me...

My nose is not the greatest as I smoke and drink, however my wife would quickly point out unacceptable odours.

We buy food from a farm that has over 100 sows and hundreds of pigs fattening etc and there is no wiff.

They have a huge pond but I can't be sure where all the poo goes.

For us we have 10 sows in 4 rai of land 1 of which is ponds (3 ) all with fish and we clean religiously twice a day. All the sows are in cages with 2 farrowing cages.

I dont think we smell. But people in the village that run a pig or two in shitty conditions do get complaints of smell and are stopped by Pu Yai Baan.

I grew the 8 piggielets in a deep pit arrangement whereby the poo gets accumulated with the rice skin. No shit shoveling required, just a monthly renewal of gep ( rice skin )

Forgive me if your question is not addressed to me...

My nose is not the greatest as I smoke and drink, however my wife would quickly point out unacceptable odours.

We buy food from a farm that has over 100 sows and hundreds of pigs fattening etc and there is no wiff.

They have a huge pond but I can't be sure where all the poo goes.

For us we have 10 sows in 4 rai of land 1 of which is ponds (3 ) all with fish and we clean religiously twice a day. All the sows are in cages with 2 farrowing cages.

I dont think we smell. But people in the village that run a pig or two in shitty conditions do get complaints of smell and are stopped by Pu Yai Baan.

I grew the 8 piggielets in a deep pit arrangement whereby the poo gets accumulated with the rice skin. No shit shoveling required, just a monthly renewal of gep ( rice skin )

I originally considered the deep-pit bedding of 'gep' but opted for concrete. There are some locals growing a few pigs on 'gep' but they have difficulty selling their fattened pigs and usually obtain poorer prices.

Joe

rgds

Current cost of 30-day-old piglets from local breeders: 1,000 baht. Feed per pig: 2,200 baht. Sell at around average 105kg. Current price: around 39 baht per kg, but likely to go up to 45-50 baht over the new year.

Smell? Washing pigs/pens once per day (pressure hose) prevents any serious smells. My pens are 400 metres from my house and at least 1,000 metres from my neighbours' homes so no problems.

Very easy work. Until you have several hundred pigs, no need for hired help. I currently have 125, which involves only 2 hours of work per day.

I agree, smell is not a problem if you clean daily. Our pigs are about 800 m from the house and 1 km from neighbours, but I find they don't smell anyway. I guess concrete is the better material against smell.

We have one pond of appr. 1000 m2 and one of appr. 800 m2, both with fish, the smaller one is appr. 400 m2 (no fish).

We buy 1 month old pigs for 1000 baht, feed them for 3 months (1000 baht per pig) and sell them for 3000 baht, profit 1000 baht per pig.

Joe

rgds

I agree, smell is not a problem if you clean daily. Our pigs are about 800 m from the house and 1 km from neighbours, but I find they don't smell anyway. I guess concrete is the better material against smell.

We have one pond of appr. 1000 m2 and one of appr. 800 m2, both with fish, the smaller one is appr. 400 m2 (no fish).

We buy 1 month old pigs for 1000 baht, feed them for 3 months (1000 baht per pig) and sell them for 3000 baht, profit 1000 baht per pig.

What weight are you attaining at sell date? What are you feeding?

Joe

rgds

What weight are you attaining at sell date? What are you feeding?

Weight is about 70 kg, the feeding I would have to ask my wife as she takes care of the pigs.

do you slaughter any yourself for your family?

Not at all, we buy, feed and sell pigs, not even breed them (no time for that :D )

Pork meat is at and has always been a miserable price per kilo, even during the Bird Flu epidemic.

To make any serious profit you will have to do something with the meat , e.g. Sun dry and smoke, or make ham & bacon & sausages or jerky ( Moo daddy- oh )

Don't forget, you can use every part of a pig apart from the Squeeeeaaaalllllll :D:o:D

We slaughter the odd pig for our own consumption and much prefer our fresh pork to that available at the local markets. We too do not breed - too much hassle.

I think few people come into farming to "make serious money" - it's a lifestyle decision. I gave up a good business three years ago in Bangkok to become a full-time farmer (relying only on farming income) after having been a weekend farmer for several years.

No doubt at all that changing from a pig finishing operation to a pork production operation would be more profitable but I'm personally content to earn around 1,000 baht per pig. Good money can indeed still be made: simply increase the number of pigs. 200 pigs provides a comfortable income. I aim to increase to 1,000. The more you manage the better the economies of scale (cost of feed) and the less susceptible you are to normal market downturns.

We slaughter the odd pig for our own consumption and much prefer our fresh pork to that available at the local markets. We too do not breed - too much hassle.

I think few people come into farming to "make serious money" - it's a lifestyle decision. I gave up a good business three years ago in Bangkok to become a full-time farmer (relying only on farming income) after having been a weekend farmer for several years.

No doubt at all that changing from a pig finishing operation to a pork production operation would be more profitable but I'm personally content to earn around 1,000 baht per pig. Good money can indeed still be made: simply increase the number of pigs. 200 pigs provides a comfortable income. I aim to increase to 1,000. The more you manage the better the economies of scale (cost of feed) and the less susceptible you are to normal market downturns.

Would you mind posting a few pictures of your layout for raising the pigs? Any input you have on a good layout or pitfalls to watch out for before I start pouring concrete would be appreciated. Also, any web sites that I should read before getting started.

Thanks for your time.

I agree farming is a chosen life style. That goes for me too.

Concerning 1000 pigs: aren't you afraid of infections/diseases? The most problems in farms occur when too many animals are held in too small housing. I'm convinced that bird flu in Asia is caused by too high concentrations of poultry (plus unhygienic circumstances). I'd like to hear your opinion on this as it keeps my mind busy.

Joe

Anyone fattening pigs commercially here in Thailand?

Not yet, but I spent today clearing a small area of land that will probably support 20 pigs or so. I'm thinking of using the dung and urine as fertilzer for the "beer garden".

A great way to use the dung is put it in the fish pond as fish food. We have two fish ponds and the fish grow like h***

I will start a sort of banking in pigs, give one female pig to a family, when the pig is adult and has pigs of her own they give me 2 pigs back. That way that (poor) family has a way of income and I have a 100% return on investment, it helps both sides.

Joe

What a brilliant idea you have, my wife and i started doing pigs, not to many, they all went towards wedding partys, and celebrations in the village, we did not mind helping everyone out, but next year when we move full time to Thailand, we are going to start a pig farm, the way we are thinking of doing it, is like free range, we have 7 Rai of rough land with a shallow pool and woodland, we are going to build shelters etc and just let them roam free, we will still feed them regular as well, what you think, we are not bothered getting them fat quick like the thais, when i first visited the wifes village 12 years ago, all the pigs then were running around wild, but now all in concrete pens.

Free range taste better, i may even start making sausages as i am bringing a sausage machine with me from UK, pork and garlic bangers, also pork burgers, the wife makes the burgers now, with minced pork, onion, garlic, soy sauce and a little fish sauce, mix all togeather and fry, boy are they good, the soy sauce and fish sauce helps the meat to stay togeather when cooking, and gives a nice flavour.

Would you mind posting a few pictures of your layout for raising the pigs? Any input you have on a good layout or pitfalls to watch out for before I start pouring concrete would be appreciated. Also, any web sites that I should read before getting started.

Thanks for your time.

Sorry Somtham, I don't have a digital camera or scanner, but I'll describe it for you. Each of my pens is 4m x 4m. This size is suitable for 12 - 13 pigs based on their needs at around 100kg. Squeezing in more will cause them to grow slower due to excessive heat.

My concrete is 50mm thick (no rebar); it has a 3% slope; it has a hard-brushed finish to prevent the pigs slipping. Each pen is walled to 800mm high consisting of two rows of the normal building blocks (typically 3-4 baht each) and two rows of the ornamental blocks (costing around 6-7 baht). We use the solid blocks on the bottom to prevent waste migrating to adjoining pens (basic hygiene) and the open, or ornamental, blocks above to assist air flow. I do not use gates. A shallow ditch outside carries the waste to a pond - there is no smell since very dry waste or very wet waste has none.

Each pen has a bathing area one block high (200mm) at one corner (bottom of slope to drain to ditch) measuring 2m x 1.6m x 1m x 2m. You could simply use 2m x 1.2m but the shape I have described makes it easier to wash the pens. I fill these with water in very hot weather, which allows the pigs to wallow and cool off. The water is changed each day. I have two 3-inch pvc pipes in each corner for this. No need for a valve - just push an elbow joint on to the outside end when filling and remove it when emptying.

The higher the roof, the cooler - the local back-yard pig raisers have roofs too low for me to fully stand up in. Their facilities are therefore very hot and often rancid.

Each pen has three drinkers: one at 350mm from the ground, one at 450mm, and one at 550mm.

I have a circular self-feed trough in the middle of each pen, which can accommodate around 50kg of feed (a bag of commercial feed is usually 30kg). I feed ad-lib. These troughs cost around 2,000 baht for the stainless-steel versions that I use.

Hang nets to keep birds out. Also hang ... can't recall what you call it in English ('slim' in Thai) ... 50-70% sun shade. This is not for shade - use it to keep out drafts in cold weather and open it otherwise to allow normal airflow.

Hang one of those electric insect killers for night use - very effective (around 600 baht). I get loads of insects (many of them biting pests) that I then feed to my fish. I prefer to replace the UV lights inside them with normal white lights to provide low but usable luminance during the night - still kills all the mosquitoes, etc.

More important than all the above:

1) Buy only from good breeders (albeit local) - check their pigs are achieving 100+ kg no later than 23 weeks of age.

2) Feed only commercial pig-feed, unless you want to try your hand at producing your own, which I don't recommend (involves a very good understanding of essential amino acids, and their balanced to each other, etc. I used to make cattle feed regularly but wouldn't consider pig feed at this time). Your neighbours may well feed their pigs with waste food and agricultural by-products - this will not produce lean meat. If buying piglets at 30 days of age, I feed 30kg of 20% crude protein (cp), followed by 60kg of 18% cp, then 60kg of 16% cp, and finally 60kg of 14% cp.

I should point out that I've only been doing this for 9 months, so I'm still a novice. Have raised beef-cattle for a number of years prior to this though.

You are welcome to visit should you be anywhere near me - I live in Mae Wong, Nakhon Sawan.

Some of my favourite websites:

http://www.thepigsite.com/

http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/pigs/940.html

http://purdue.porkgateway.org/web/guest/home

http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/swine/index.html

http://mark.asci.ncsu.edu/PIGPEN.HTM

http://www.dit.go.th/diteng/contentdet.asp...1201&ID=322

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp

• Like 1

That is an excellent food conversion ratio you are achieving....210Kgs of food to produce a 100 Kg pig.

I'm impressed. Isn't 2.5 - 2.8 the accepted norm ?

We used to use the commercial feed ( Nutrena ) but changed to mixing ourselves a 5/6 ingredient combo.

Just felt it was fresher and cheaper. Was never convinced of , how shall I say it...the integrity of prepacked

pelleted feed. My own paranoia perhaps being in Thailand.

I believe the bigger pig farms make a deal with a commercial feed supplier whereby they provide the pigs and the food and at slaughter time the farmer takes his profit after costs for feed + pigs is deducted. This saves you the huge initial outlay. Doesn't do for me as your not your own boss anymore.

I agree farming is a chosen life style. That goes for me too.

Concerning 1000 pigs: aren't you afraid of infections/diseases? The most problems in farms occur when too many animals are held in too small housing. I'm convinced that bird flu in Asia is caused by too high concentrations of poultry (plus unhygienic circumstances). I'd like to hear your opinion on this as it keeps my mind busy.

Joe

I must be afraid - that's the big risk factor! But I plan to minimise the risk by changing my current operation. My current pigs have been purchased from mainly two relatively small breeders at different times. I'm switching, early 2007, to the all-in-all-out system and will source all piglets from only one breeder. Most of the risk, in my experience, is before the pigs weigh in at around 20kg. I'm intending purchasing 200 20kg piglets early 2007 from one major breeder. I intend to speak with CP (I'm not interested in contracting though) but I already have info from Mittraphap: 16kg @ 1,400 baht plus 46 baht per additional kg (20kg = 1,584 baht) plus 30 baht to cover the vaccines. That works out at 584 baht more than the 1,000 baht I currently pay locally for one-month-old weaners. Most of this extra cost is offset, however, since I will not require the 30kg 20% crude protein feed that I refer to in my reply to Somtham today.

Young pigs are at great risk of becoming infected by older pigs. My pigs, be they 200 or 1,000, will all be the same age.

With regards to close confinement: my provision of 1.3 sq.m. per pig greatly exceeds European & American standards. Certainly, our natural-ventilation system and hot, humid weather dictate we must.

The all-in-all-out system allows for complete disinfection of the entire facility before pigs are introduced.

I have started using EM in the pig drinking water and wash water. This can only help prevent disease. I treat pigs at the first sign of sickness and, of course, vaccinate. In the interest of bio-security, I got rid of all my chickens and am selling my buffalo (only have three). But yes, a major epidemic (in Thailand, not necessarily my farm) would be disastrous. Any insurance out there for such a risk?

That is an excellent food conversion ratio you are achieving....210Kgs of food to produce a 100 Kg pig.

I'm impressed. Isn't 2.5 - 2.8 the accepted norm ?

We used to use the commercial feed ( Nutrena ) but changed to mixing ourselves a 5/6 ingredient combo.

Just felt it was fresher and cheaper. Was never convinced of , how shall I say it...the integrity of prepacked

pelleted feed. My own paranoia perhaps being in Thailand.

I believe the bigger pig farms make a deal with a commercial feed supplier whereby they provide the pigs and the food and at slaughter time the farmer takes his profit after costs for feed + pigs is deducted. This saves you the huge initial outlay. Doesn't do for me as your not your own boss anymore.

I had, or have, a copy of CP's contract (via, I think, an FAO web page). From memory, I think they use a food conversion rate of 1.7 as their benchmark. Their contract did not interest me. I would, however, like to buy piglets from them and sell them back for slaughter at hopefully better than average market prices. I would be happy to buy their more expensive feed - I started off using their Novo brand - if required. A guaranteed buy-back price would be great but I'm not holding out hope for that.

Yes, my conversion rates surprised me too, but I'm not complaining!

I switched from CP's Novo to Nutrena, before switching to Mittraphap. Nutrena is Cargil's brand; they don't get any bigger than USA's Cargil. I had no complaint with their feed but Mittraphap provides the same quality at a much less expensive cost. I also prefer in phase-feeding to switch from 20% to 18%. Novo and Mittraphap provide for this but Nutrena drops from 20% to 17%.

I don't supplement the pig feed with by-products since the nutritional values are thrown out of balance, particularly with regards to the essential amino acids.

Hi all.

Some one told me that u can make about 800 - 1000 Bhat/ pig

I whanted to try this so we buy 10 pigs fore 11,000 bhat

and thay whent to the town and gott some pig food .

My question is can u make mone from pigs if u have to buy all the pig food ?

Pig 1000 - 1200

Food 500 bhat/ bag at start fore the small pigs

after 3-4 weeks its the cheaper food around 250 bhat/ bag

This started in sep so thay are around 18 weeks now and when i whas in thailand last week thay whas around 80 kg .

so when i do the mat its 35,000 baht i payd so far and if i gett 40 Bhat / kg its gona be 80 * 40 * 10 = 32,000 bhat

Thats - 3,000 :D ( + 21.000 fore the pig house :o butt that im nott dona sell )

So now when i read here i see that there is a way to make money from pigs :D

(( its my girlfrinds mom that have manage the pig ))

sorry fore my spelling ant that good in englich.

Thx / Rob

Khonwan or anyone else.....do you have any trouble selling the produce ?? I looked into pigs many years ago and what I came up with was an attractive option, but then I was told by a couple of people about the 'pig' mafia and how they tied up the buying and selling of pigs in their areas and would make it very hard to do business.

Why did you change from beef to pigs ?? were you growing beef here in Los or prior to coming here ?

Hi all.

Some one told me that u can make about 800 - 1000 Bhat/ pig

I whanted to try this so we buy 10 pigs fore 11,000 bhat

and thay whent to the town and gott some pig food .

My question is can u make mone from pigs if u have to buy all the pig food ?

Pig 1000 - 1200

Food 500 bhat/ bag at start fore the small pigs

after 3-4 weeks its the cheaper food around 250 bhat/ bag

This started in sep so thay are around 18 weeks now and when i whas in thailand last week thay whas around 80 kg .

so when i do the mat its 35,000 baht i payd so far and if i gett 40 Bhat / kg its gona be 80 * 40 * 10 = 32,000 bhat

Thats - 3,000 :D ( + 21.000 fore the pig house :o butt that im nott dona sell )

So now when i read here i see that there is a way to make money from pigs :D

(( its my girlfrinds mom that have manage the pig ))

sorry fore my spelling ant that good in englich.

Thx / Rob

Are they aged 18 weeks, or have you (your gf's mom) been managing them for 18 weeks? If 18 weeks old, they are on track - they should attain around 100kg at around 22-23 weeks (of age). If you have been feeding them for 18 weeks, they are certainly underweight.

I can see from the price you quote that you are feeding them incorrectly. 500 baht (or so) would buy you the correct weaner feed (20% crude protein) but 250 baht thereafter would only buy you 12% crude protein feed suitable for pigs over 90kg.

Note also that the pig genetics is vitally important. I too once purchased piglets from a small breeder that only achieved a weight of 80kg after 210kg of high quality feed - a lesson learned.

Cost of food: Buying a few bags of (the correct) feed from a local store is going to cost you 2,500 - 2,600 baht per pig. I buy at least 300 bags direct from the feed mills. It costs me 'only' 2,130 baht per pig (plus 91 baht delivery). That 300-400 baht less cost means 300-400 baht more profit per pig. I keep telling my neighbours (though they don't listen) that they must group together to buy feed. Allowing for feed expiry dates, an individual or group growing a total of 85 pigs should order 300 bags direct. 85 pigs would require two such purchases over the growing time.

What a brilliant idea you have, my wife and i started doing pigs, not to many, they all went towards wedding partys, and celebrations in the village, we did not mind helping everyone out, but next year when we move full time to Thailand, we are going to start a pig farm, the way we are thinking of doing it, is like free range, we have 7 Rai of rough land with a shallow pool and woodland, we are going to build shelters etc and just let them roam free, we will still feed them regular as well, what you think, we are not bothered getting them fat quick like the thais, when i first visited the wifes village 12 years ago, all the pigs then were running around wild, but now all in concrete pens.

Free range taste better, i may even start making sausages as i am bringing a sausage machine with me from UK, pork and garlic bangers, also pork burgers, the wife makes the burgers now, with minced pork, onion, garlic, soy sauce and a little fish sauce, mix all togeather and fry, boy are they good, the soy sauce and fish sauce helps the meat to stay togeather when cooking, and gives a nice flavour.

Can you plese stop describing those sizzling burgers your wife makes? Or you have to offer me some of them... :D Water is dripping from my mouth on the keyboard..... that's not nice of you... :o

Khonwan or anyone else.....do you have any trouble selling the produce ?? I looked into pigs many years ago and what I came up with was an attractive option, but then I was told by a couple of people about the 'pig' mafia and how they tied up the buying and selling of pigs in their areas and would make it very hard to do business.

Why did you change from beef to pigs ?? were you growing beef here in Los or prior to coming here ?

Never heard of a "pig mafia" here. No problem at all selling the pigs.

I reared beef cattle on my current farm. I have 195 rai but it is on quite high ground next to the hills - my pastures were green for only about 5 months of the year. It was a constant problem to attract and then keep farm-hands. Vets were not available or useless. Cattle dying from snake bites. Cattle traders wanted to spend all day negotiating a price to their advantage. Just decided it wasn't worth it at the end of the day and sold off (to farmers, not traders!). Tried doing nothing for 7 months, but that was boring so tried pigs since I already had a 480 sq.m. feedlot. I found that both I and my wife enjoy growing pigs (she was never that interested in cattle - too big for her!).

Some excelent posts Khinwan, thanks

What do you think of Moo Bha ? if often though about keping a few on a small scale as I assume that their higher selling price could mean better profit. Quite a few of the thais around here say thay are difficult to keep, but you go to any hilltribe village and a large percentage of the houses have them.

I might take you up on that vist offer as I'm not far from you and get up that way fairly often as I have another friend living near Mae Wong, I'm in Tak Far southern end of Nakhon