Pigs

Khonwan

Tim adds a couple points all people self medicating should bare in mind.

60% of generics on the Thai agricultural market are counterfeits and potentialy dangerous.

About 20% of brandname products are also counterfeit.

The quickest and easiet way to eastblish a countefeit is to study the label, graphics and small print. If it is not genuine there will almost certainly be spelling mistakes somewhere.

By from an established and reputable supplier

About one third of "vets" are not qualified vets!

Tim adds his bit. The below reccomendations for drug usage and rates are fine, except for 1.

Chlorpheniramine Maleate will not save any animal from a snake bite that is system toxic. It is an antihystamine. So while it may reduce airway inflamation or similar the, specific antidote will still have to be used.

Keep medications out of sunlight and if possible in a fridge at around 5 - 10 celcius

Somtham, it is true that CP are making out like bandats, but the pig farmer is not doing to bad herself, for no investment and thus no loans she is makinng 128baht/pig*500=64,000bahtfor six months*2=128,000baht for 0ne year or 10,666 baht per month, probably about 3 or 4 times what the average villager is making. Issangeorge.

Somtham said the lady had two buildings and I think he meant to say there were 500 pigs per.... (building?). If so, then your numbers above should be doubled, i.e. she's making >20K per month, right? But as Jeff suggests we really need to know how many people are taking care of the 1,000 pigs.

You're both correct. She has 2 buildings but is only workingf one of them. For some reason, my wife and I couldn't understand, CP is running the second building themselves. It is her land but they're running it. Maybe because they just installed the new PP feeders and re-did the cement work in that second building and they want to study it. Anyway, the calcs IG did are correct....~B10K/month is what she is pocketing. Also, the lady was 46 years old and doing all the work herself. No helpers. When we pulled up she was in the process of changing some PVC pipe that fed the the cooling system.

Regardless of her B10k/month which around here puts her on par with any rice farmer, Cp is still making a killing on the service she provides.

rgds

PS- Khun naKHONsaWAN - thanks for your hospitality today. your place is wonderful and the wife and I talked about the mountain views all the way hone. Khrap khun mak khrap.

Hi Somtham - Thanks for your kind comments. We thoroughly enjoyed your visit and look forward to meeting up with you again. I promised you I would provide some details of medications I use on my pigs.

My experience of local District Thai vets over several years of breeding cattle has led me to form a very poor impression of them. Those I have experienced demand payments they are not entitled to, display poor knowledge / skills / interest, and are frequently unavailable. Should you wish to raise pigs, or any other livestock, you should be prepared to learn the basics yourself. The Internet is, thankfully, an invaluable resource. Additionally, profit margins on pigs simply don't lend themselves to vet fees. For these reasons then, I will post how I treat ailments in my pigs.

Caution: I am not a doctor, veterinarian, pharmacist or similarly trained person so please satisfy yourself first before following my use of the following injectible medications.

For diarrhoea: Tylosine 20% (1cc / 10kg), Lincomycin (1cc / 10kg), Tiamulin 20% (1cc / 20kg). I now generally prefer to use Tiamulin, and would use only Tiamulin should any blood be presented in the diarrhoea).

For wounds and general infections: Oxycline (oxytetracycline; 1cc / 10kg).

For sprained legs and skin allergies: Dexon-A (dexamethasone; 0.5-2cc).

For pain / fever: Novacilin (dipyrone; 1cc / 10kg).

For de-worming: Ivermac-F (invermectin; two strengths: 1% - 1cc /33kg; 1.5% - 1cc / 50kg).

For antidote to invenomation by snake, centipede, scorpion or allergic shock to a vaccine: Chlorpheniramine Maleate (1cc / 1kg; must be injected immediately as death normally occurs within a few minutes).

For loss of appetite: Catosal 10% (1cc / 10kg).

A powder pour-on treatment for maggot infested wounds: Negasunt.

These medications are all readily available at most animal feed shops and are sold OTC (over the counter – no need for prescriptions).

Please (Somtham et al) feel free to comment / advise / correct should you disagree with my medications regime (particularly should any vet/pharmacist be reading this).

I currently vaccinate against Aujeskies Disease (aka Pseudorabies), and Classical Swine Fever. The local breeders usually advise to vaccinate against the latter some two days after you buy 30-day-old piglets but I follow other guidelines advising vaccination at between 6 and 8 weeks of age. Most rearers will probably also vaccinate against Foot and Mouth Disease.

All of the above are inexpensive costing around only a few baht per pig treatment (shop around though - retail prices vary greatly).

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any1 know where to sell these pigs, after 100Kg. I planing and building for 300 sows. I have heard that i can sell to CP, but dont know if they pay good. Any1 have a better option?

/Jonny

That's certainly a large operation you are planning; should provide you with perhaps 800 pigs for slaughter per month. I don't think that CP would buy them, unless perhaps you are purchasing the sows from them. You can certainly truck them to the few large slaughterhouses. What experience do you already have in pig farming?

My family have experience from a smaler farm. What we need is contact with slaughterhouses, down in Korat, or closer if there is one (Phi mai). A telefon number to CP would be nice to have. Large operation??? If it is possible to make a nice buissnes with 100 sows, why not build it larger, like 300 - 500 sows?

/Jonny

Some excelent posts Khinwan, thanks

What do you think of Moo Bha ? if often though about keping a few on a small scale as I assume that their higher selling price could mean better profit. Quite a few of the thais around here say they are difficult to keep, but you go to any hilltribe village and a large percentage of the houses have them.

I might take you up on that vist offer as I'm not far from you and get up that way fairly often as I have another friend living near Mae Wong, I'm in Tak Far southern end of Nakhon

Thanks Ramdom. I'd be delighted to have you visit. I just noticed yesterday that there is a chap (I can't recall his name/handle) who lives in Klong Lan Pattana (I think that's at Klong Nam Rai, if my wife is not mistaken). I assume that's the friend you may mean. If so I'm around 75km from him; 20km after Baan Khao Chon Kan. I'll PM you the details. I haven't contacted that chap yet but was saying to my wife yesterday that I must visit him since he is so close. You are around 170km from me (I'm 100km from Big C).

Moo Pha (wild boars): We often get the opportunity to eat 100% moo pha from the forest, 2 metres behind our house. A couple of locals shoot and trap them quite regularly, despite the fact that my only close neighbour is the forest rangers station! My wife did previously try her hand at breeding and growing moo pha while I was occupied by my cattle. These were around 80% pure moo pha (as are normally farmed). She looked after them for nearly one year; had around 25 at peak. Waste of time! Other Thais around here who have tried agree. Fatten them like domestic pigs (moo baan) and customers complain the meat is, funny enough, just like moo baan (and why then should they fork out extra money?). Feed them naturally and the (live-pig buying) customer complains they are too thin. They are wild muscular animals in the wild that don't get the opportunity to deposit much fat!

I expect you could make a go of it if you fed/managed them naturally, slaughtered & butchered them, and marketed the meat in the cities (where the meat commands a much higher value). Build strong walls extending under the ground should anyone wish to try farming moo pha - they are true escape-artists who just love your neighbours crops!

Hi

I am in chiang rai( near to huai krai) I am interested in rearing pigs and like to get contact where to get the piglets, food and who can i sell it to when its grow up ?? thanks in advance......

RB

• 4 weeks later...

Khonwan.

I was wondering about you mortality rates. Looking at the Missouri State Uni's website (USA's biggest pig producing State) which gave average mortality rates for feeder pigs at 8-10%. If you then load info into their online accounts programme (Excel) it computes a loss figure of just under 5%. (start with 240 pigs....finish with 229 pigs to market). Both figures seem quite high to me They even give a paper on how to dispose of the carcases. (mincing and dumping in the fish pond wasn't one of the suggestions :o)

I'd be interested in your experiences of this.

Regards

Khonwan.

I was wondering about you mortality rates. Looking at the Missouri State Uni's website (USA's biggest pig producing State) which gave average mortality rates for feeder pigs at 8-10%. If you then load info into their online accounts programme (Excel) it computes a loss figure of just under 5%. (start with 240 pigs....finish with 229 pigs to market). Both figures seem quite high to me They even give a paper on how to dispose of the carcases. (mincing and dumping in the fish pond wasn't one of the suggestions :o)

I'd be interested in your experiences of this.

Regards

Of around 160 pigs to date, I've lost 3. One suffered piles, then became constipated before dying. One died of a centipede bite. One died in an allergic reaction to a vaccine (could have been avoided if I had had the necessary medication to hand instead of in the medicine box). That's a rate of less than 2% (less than 1% due to disease).

My concrete is 50mm thick (no rebar); it has a 3% slope; it has a hard-brushed finish to prevent the pigs slipping. Each pen is walled to 800mm high consisting of two rows of the normal building blocks (typically 3-4 baht each) and two rows of the ornamental blocks (costing around 6-7 baht). We use the solid blocks on the bottom to prevent waste migrating to adjoining pens (basic hygiene) and the open, or ornamental, blocks above to assist air flow. I do not use gates. A shallow ditch outside carries the waste to a pond - there is no smell since very dry waste or very wet waste has none.

Each pen has a bathing area one block high (200mm) at one corner (bottom of slope to drain to ditch) measuring 2m x 1.6m x 1m x 2m. You could simply use 2m x 1.2m but the shape I have described makes it easier to wash the pens. I fill these with water in very hot weather, which allows the pigs to wallow and cool off. The water is changed each day. I have two 3-inch pvc pipes in each corner for this. No need for a valve - just push an elbow joint on to the outside end when filling and remove it when emptying.

Thanks for sharing those details, it is very useful. I am considering pigs on a very small scale, and if it works for me I might expand a bit.

I have made an autocad drawing following your description - is this about right ? If anyone wants the drawing file let me know and I will post it, then you can work up your own drawings based on that.

Cheers,

Mike

post-21307-1170571931_thumb.jpg

My concrete is 50mm thick (no rebar); it has a 3% slope; it has a hard-brushed finish to prevent the pigs slipping. Each pen is walled to 800mm high consisting of two rows of the normal building blocks (typically 3-4 baht each) and two rows of the ornamental blocks (costing around 6-7 baht). We use the solid blocks on the bottom to prevent waste migrating to adjoining pens (basic hygiene) and the open, or ornamental, blocks above to assist air flow. I do not use gates. A shallow ditch outside carries the waste to a pond - there is no smell since very dry waste or very wet waste has none.

Each pen has a bathing area one block high (200mm) at one corner (bottom of slope to drain to ditch) measuring 2m x 1.6m x 1m x 2m. You could simply use 2m x 1.2m but the shape I have described makes it easier to wash the pens. I fill these with water in very hot weather, which allows the pigs to wallow and cool off. The water is changed each day. I have two 3-inch pvc pipes in each corner for this. No need for a valve - just push an elbow joint on to the outside end when filling and remove it when emptying.

Thanks for sharing those details, it is very useful. I am considering pigs on a very small scale, and if it works for me I might expand a bit.

I have made an autocad drawing following your description - is this about right ? If anyone wants the drawing file let me know and I will post it, then you can work up your own drawings based on that.

Cheers,

Mike

Spot on, Mike.

Cheers,

Mike

Spot on, Mike.

Khonwan,

For your "drain to ditch" along the lowest edge, do you have missing blocks in the bottom row of blocks to allow washing the waste out ?

Thanks,

Mike

Cheers,

Mike

Spot on, Mike.

Khonwan,

For your "drain to ditch" along the lowest edge, do you have missing blocks in the bottom row of blocks to allow washing the waste out ?

Thanks,

Mike

I've used the blocks with the oval shape cut out, and have cut the bottom edge away with a 9" angle grinder. My attached photograph (courtesy of billd766) should hopefully clarify my description. Although the detail cannot be seen in the photo, there is a quarter-inch re-bar running behind these lower blocks (horizontally at a central level to these blocks) to prevent the very young weaner piglets from escaping.

post-38686-1170593749_thumb.jpg

edit... Although the detail cannot be seen in the photo, there is a quarter-inch re-bar running behind these lower blocks ...edit

Not true KW. The picture has enough resolution that when zoomed in the rebar can be seen. What's going on with the price of pigs on the hoof? Our neighbors say it is now below B30 per kg. What are you selling for?

edit... Although the detail cannot be seen in the photo, there is a quarter-inch re-bar running behind these lower blocks ...edit

Not true KW. The picture has enough resolution that when zoomed in the rebar can be seen. What's going on with the price of pigs on the hoof? Our neighbors say it is now below B30 per kg. What are you selling for?

Hi Somtham

Yes, I too noticed the detail after posting the photo here!

The price of pork, and hence pigs, has totally collapsed. Pig raisers can't get more than 24-25 baht per kg (less than half the normal seasonal price and around 66% of the farmer's production costs). Disastrous! The current price has not been seen for 13 years.

I blame the government. Despite having salaried agricultural personnel at national. provincial, and district levels, they fail to offer farmers the most basic support of market intelligence. This complete lack of information led to an over-supply. Should the government be unwilling to have these officials earn their salaries they could at least support the creation of a futures market for pork (and other commodities), which would provide the necessary intelligence on supply and demand as well as offering a level of protection.

Some large farms are now selling pork at the local markets directly for 33 baht per kg (100 baht for 3 kg). I've decided that operating in an environment where risks cannot be quantified is more gamble than sound business. I still intend to speak with CP, especially since I have now heard that they do offer a guaranteed minimum buy-back price. Should this indeed be the case, and should that minimum at least cover my costs, I'll be pleased to continue rearing pigs. Should it not be, I'll retire from pig raising.

Hi Somtham

Yes, I too noticed the detail after posting the photo here!

The price of pork, and hence pigs, has totally collapsed. Pig raisers can't get more than 24-25 baht per kg (less than half the normal seasonal price and around 66% of the farmer's production costs). Disastrous! The current price has not been seen for 13 years.

I blame the government. Despite having salaried agricultural personnel at national. provincial, and district levels, they fail to offer farmers the most basic support of market intelligence. This complete lack of information led to an over-supply. Should the government be unwilling to have these officials earn their salaries they could at least support the creation of a futures market for pork (and other commodities), which would provide the necessary intelligence on supply and demand as well as offering a level of protection.

Some large farms are now selling pork at the local markets directly for 33 baht per kg (100 baht for 3 kg). I've decided that operating in an environment where risks cannot be quantified is more gamble than sound business. I still intend to speak with CP, especially since I have now heard that they do offer a guaranteed minimum buy-back price. Should this indeed be the case, and should that minimum at least cover my costs, I'll be pleased to continue rearing pigs. Should it not be, I'll retire from pig raising.

At last, real support for farmers! This is from The Nation this morning:

Modern channels to be used to stabilise commodity prices

The Commerce Ministry is planning to apply modern trade methods as another marketing mechanism to stabilise commodity prices. The goal is to reduce the billions of baht spent on price-intervention programmes and lost to corruption.

Some of the modern strategies to be applied this year include electronic trading, the Agricultural Futures Exchange of Thailand (Afet), zoning for central agricultural markets, forward auctions and farm outlet operations.

Siripol Yodmuangcharoen, director-general of the Commerce Ministry's Internal Trade Department, said last week the modern channels would allow farmers to quote prices for their crops instead of trading through middlemen.

In particular, Afet will be an important government channel to solve the problem of price falls. Trading on Afet will allow farmers to check the demand for key farm crops, which will assist them in their management.

The government will try to strengthen the competitiveness of the agricultural sector by slashing subsidies on some economic crops such as rice, rubber and coffee. Without intervention, farmers can get a better idea of the real prices and competitive levels of their crops.

The strategy will also reduce the market distortion which results from intervention programmes.

The value of the country's agricultural goods reached Bt1.1 trillion last year. Of the total, 60-70 per cent came from the principal economic crops, such as rice, tapioca, rubber, palm oil and sugar cane. However, every government budget has set aside billions of baht to shore up the price of these goods.

"By launching the system, the most important thing is to reduce the corruption which always happens in the government's price-intervention programmes," he said.

Siripol said farmers had to prepare by developing their production to meet international standards, so as to ensure trading at fair prices through modern trade channels.

Moreover, the government plans to create direct sales business at the farm gate under the ''farm outlet'' concept, a marketing strategy to promote crops with the farmers themselves learning more about market demand, which will encourage them to improve their production.

"Finally, farmers will learn more about supply control," he said.

The government will encourage forward auctions to allow farmers to produce in accordance with actual orders, instead of speculating on market prices.

To ensure high quality, the government will focus on infrastructure development. In particular, fresh-chilled and vacuum-fired plants should be set up.

Siripol added that the department had drawn up both international and domestic marketing strategies to encourage farmers to have more marketing information and better potential markets.

The international marketing strategies aim to create more strategic trade alliances, brand and product image-building, international market access and promotion, and market expansion.

To create an attractive product image, farm crops should also be exported under Thai-owned brands. This strategy will also assist the ministry's plan to penetrate more new export markets. Exporters who access new markets will enjoy some incentives from the ministry.

To facilitate exports, the government will consider opening distribution centres in major trading countries.

"We are planning for the country's future trade, which involves research and development of high-quality plant seeds and animal breeds, value creation, supply control, market approaches and quoting prices through business channels. Farmers have to adopt these practices to maintain their competitiveness," he said.

The US Agriculture Department has forecast that world farm production will increase this year, particularly rice, rubber, oil plantations, livestock (pigs and chickens) and aquaculture (shrimp).

However, that will not create tough competition in the world market because the total production of each crop is almost the same as last year. For instance, world rice production is high due to the increasing number of importing countries, but production in major exporting countries such as Vietnam has dropped.

Achara Pongvutitham,

Petchanet Pratruangkrai

The Nation

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that there was probably more money in producing pork products, such as sausages , cured hams etc.

I'm interested if anyone has followed this route? Is there a Serrano Ham producer amonst the farmers on this thread? How about sausages (on a commercial level)?

It seems to me that this forum could be an excellent way to connect small scale producers and small scale buyers (e.g. Bangkok restauranteurs and Deli shops)

Sausages are a traditional part of the Thai diet both in Isaan and in the North....I don't know about other regions.

Another processed meat product is jinn som or soured meat...not cooked but fermented. Similar fermented meat products are moom (mostly found in Isaan) and nehm. All of these can be made from pork but jinn som and moom are also made from water buffalo and I think rarely from beef (but not sure on the beef). I don't know if nehm is made from meats other than pork.

Chownah

Edited by chownah

Sausages are a traditional part of the Thai diet both in Isaan and in the North....I don't know about other regions.

Another processed meat product is jinn som or soured meat...not cooked but fermented. Similar fermented meat products are moom (mostly found in Isaan) and nehm. All of these can be made from pork but jinn som and moom are also made from water buffalo and I think rarely from beef (but not sure on the beef). I don't know if nehm is made from meats other than pork.

Chownah

Thanks, but it's not too difficult to get nehm or the fermented pork here.... Serrano, or other smoked and cured hams is another matter!

Sai Oua in the north, is about the closest I've seen to a 'distinctive' pork product, i.e. one that takes a very good recipe and some definite skill to make, rather than just a method and a pile of ingredients.

It would be interesting to see how much the price of Sai Oua fluctuated in line with the price of pork, compared with the other less skill-demanding pork products.

• 1 month later...

HI First sorry for my bad English.

I live in the province Surin and i have 59 pigs from 25 kg til 70 kg

I wand to sell them in one time for 70.000 Bht.

I think its a good price

6 are about 60 til 70 KG

5 are about 40 KG

48 are about 25 til 35 KG

I was Gambling wrong and nou i need to leaf to my home Country

Pleas I hope somebody can help me.

HI First sorry for my bad English.

I live in the province Surin and i have 59 pigs from 25 kg til 70 kg

I wand to sell them in one time for 70.000 Bht.

I think its a good price

6 are about 60 til 70 KG

5 are about 40 KG

48 are about 25 til 35 KG

I was Gambling wrong and nou i need to leaf to my home Country

Pleas I hope somebody can help me.

I would think you should be able to offload all 59 pigs within a few days locally in Surin if you are willing to sell by the pig rather than as a single lot. Your 70,000 baht asking price is certainly not too much. We both know that this price represents a huge negative profit margin since this price covers very little of your feeding costs.

Put the word out locally that you will sell your pigs at say Bt1,000 for 20-30kg, Bt1,500 for 31-50kg, Bt2,000 for 51-70kg. That should realise Bt70,000. You'll get villagers buying the heavier pigs for slaughter and villagers buying the lighter ones to finish rearing.

Works out to about 35 baht per kilo, I don't know if that is a good price or not. Issangeorge

And absolutely no commercial slaughterer in Thailand is paying Bt35/kg just now. My local price is currently Bt28, and that's for pigs of 90-120kg. Local slaughterers don't really like pigs less than this. I only have 4 pigs left (70-80kg) and they are destined for my new deep-freezer just purchased today. Bt35 would be a breakeven price for pigs reared to 100kg, but a loss for less than 100kg. I'm assuming the pigs were purchased weaners and not bred by the OP.

in my opinion the only way to make a bit of pocket money from pigs (what i do anyway), is keep sows (6 in my case) every time they have a litter, wait till the piglets have finished weening (42 days) then can normally sell them for between 1000-1200 baht. tried before with fattening them up then selling them at 6-8 months old for between 4-5000 baht but when i actually worked out what had been spent on food it was not viable.

FM

Up North we are getting nowhere near those prices.

22Baht per kilo for slaughterable pigs.

500 Baht for weaners.

800 Baht for growers 15-20 Kgs.

We are selling too, as its impossible to make a profit.

We tried and are still trying to hang on as one would in a share market drop, but is there an upside?

in my opinion the only way to make a bit of pocket money from pigs (what i do anyway), is keep sows (6 in my case) every time they have a litter, wait till the piglets have finished weening (42 days) then can normally sell them for between 1000-1200 baht. tried before with fattening them up then selling them at 6-8 months old for between 4-5000 baht but when i actually worked out what had been spent on food it was not viable.

FM

Selling 100kg pigs at 4-5,000 is profitable - cost of feed is around Bt2,500 (plus Bt100 medications, electricity, etc). But it hasn't been possible to get these prices for around 12 months now.

Last time we bought a pig was New Year 28 bhat/kg on the hoof(about 40 kg pig). It came to about 1000 bhat, I was told at the time that it was'nt much more than the cost of a piglet

Yes, Bt28 was the going price at New Year. Pigs being sold at that time had usually been purchased by the grower at 30 days of age for Bt1,000. The pig you purchased was, at 36kg, probably around 12 weeks old.

Edited by Khonwan

I would think you should be able to offload all 59 pigs within a few days locally in Surin if you are willing to sell by the pig rather than as a single lot. Your 70,000 baht asking price is certainly not too much. We both know that this price represents a huge negative profit margin since this price covers very little of your feeding costs.

Put the word out locally that you will sell your pigs at say Bt1,000 for 20-30kg, Bt1,500 for 31-50kg, Bt2,000 for 51-70kg. That should realise Bt70,000. You'll get villagers buying the heavier pigs for slaughter and villagers buying the lighter ones to finish rearing.

This we try already but the ppl here don't wand it them don't have money and them wand only from 100 and more KG

Edited by Isan999

This we try already but the ppl here don't wand it them don't have money and them wand only from 100 and more KG

Sorry to hear that. The villagers at my place prefer the smaller pigs for offerings to the spirits - their budgets rarely stretch to 100kg pigs.

FM

Selling 100kg pigs at 4-5,000 is profitable - cost of feed is around Bt2,500 (plus Bt100 medications, electricity, etc). But it hasn't been possible to get these prices for around 12 months now.

yes i will apologize for my post, you are correct, just checking with the wife it was 12 months ago when we were getting these prices, but when i realized it wasn't profitable (minimul profit) i lost all interest, but the in-laws are still just breeding and selling the piglets and making a small profit, due to the fact i haven't been asked for any money for pig food.

BB

OK nobody for 70.000 bht than i will try it for 50.000 bht lower i don't can go than this

this is really a give away Pryce i think

tel. 0816263806

Bt50,000 is a great buy for someone. Distance puts me off. Why don't you post your offer in the Issan Forum?

Good luck

Khonwan

have you not got a slaughter house near by that will take the lot off you, they won't give you as good a price as selling privately but if you want to get rid of them quickly that maybe the way to go.

BB

Edited by buriramboy