Need advice on the best approach for my next extension of stay

I have had three extensions on business, but April last year left my company. I prepared an extension based on family support but when I went to imo chachoengsao they suggested I took the retirement extension as they could complete it there and then. I took their advice but also asked if I could change it if I wanted to next application time, which they said I could.

I went to our newish imo at Prachinburi the other day to ask some questions about the support (marriage) and was told it would be a difficult case to change from retirement to support, like why did you retire and then want to work again are you short of money? there would only be a 20% chance the head office would approve it blah blah I think they have been instructed to reduce the volume of work for the head office.

From my point of view I'm 61 and would not like to rule out any employment opportunities in the future and the support visa gives me more head room to deal with volatility in the finance world. I support my Thai wife our Thai son, my wife's family and have built a house for us, so feel the support extension is correct.

My questions are:

1. has anyone been refused a support extension when swapping from a retirement extension?

2. If I was refused would it affect any future applications?

Any help would be great.

With kind regards

Colin

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Sounds, quite right! Maybe you have to travel a little bit more for getting your visa, but I would also choose the one based on marriage first and maybe later when you decide to not work more change to retirement if you fell like that.

I think that makes the Immigration office think less, and works out better for you both with the hassle and economy.
Not really focused answers, but I think you get the point.

Edited by Get Real

The reason office likes to use retirement is because they make the decision and approval - so they are not subject to close review by Bangkok where if they make a mistake it may be picked up and application blocked.  The best method to change is just not have enough money showing to use retirement option (don't ask).  There should not be any issue of you qualify by marriage but it will be more paperwork for both you and them - and they may be required to visit your home for interview as well.  

If you have no plans for work (which is often not legally available to those of us of senior age anyhow) I would just continue with the simple retirement.  If you find official employment later you should be able to extend or stay on that basis.

They are basically talking nonsense. If your application is accepted it will be approved. It certainly not be disapproved by the regional division office because you change from retirement to marriage.

As said you should only show enough financial proof for marriage so they can't push you onto retirement again.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Sounds, quite right! Maybe you have to travel a little bit more for getting your visa, but I would also choose the one based on marriage first and maybe later when you decide to not work more change to retirement if you fell like that.

Not sure what you trying to say. But it seems you are referring to getting a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage.

The discussion is about extensions of stay.

They are basically talking nonsense. If your application is accepted it will be approved. It certainly not be disapproved by the regional division office because you change from retirement to marriage.
As said you should only show enough financial proof for marriage so they can't push you onto retirement again.

Thanks Joe

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure what you trying to say. But it seems you are referring to getting a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage.

The discussion is about extensions of stay.

My answer was based upon the thought about if the OP wanted to work again or not. He did not know that, and a work permit is what I know good with a visa based upon marriage, but not one based upon retirement. Regarding travel more in my statement, was that they only handle retirement in the place mentioned, and he will have to go Bangkok or wait longer time for the one based on marriage.
It also regarded the question about the best way of handleing the economic situation as he mentioned. Off course. I can be wrong.

Edited by Get Real

8 minutes ago, Get Real said:

My answer was based upon the thought about if the OP wanted to work again or not. He did not know that, and a work permit is what I know good with a visa based upon marriage, but not one based upon retirement. Regarding travel more in my statement, was that they only handle retirement in the place mentioned, and he will have to go Bangkok or wait longer time for the one based on marriage.
It also regarded the question about the best way of handleing the economic situation as he mentioned. Off course. I can be wrong.

Why will he have to go to Bangkok ?

All Immigration Offices will issue extensions based on marriage.

Just now, Phuket Man said:

Why will he have to go to Bangkok ?

All Immigration Offices will issue extensions based on marriage.

Not what I heard from people. Some told me they have to send the paperwork to Bangkok for authentication first.

No need to do with extension for retirement.

Edited by Get Real

15 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Not what I heard from people. Some told me they have to send the paperwork to Bangkok for authentication first.

You wrote he would have to go Bangkok which is not correct.

Extensions of stay based upon marriage have to approved by the division headquarters for the region where the application is done.   A under consideration stamp is done with report back date 30 days from the date of application or the end of the current permit to stay depend upon where it is applied for. 

The 30 day wait is not that big a problem for most people.

• Like 2

Just now, ubonjoe said:

You wrote he would have to go Bangkok which is not correct.

Extensions of stay based upon marriage have to approved by the division headquarters for the region where the application is done.   A under consideration stamp is done with report back date 30 days from the date of application or the end of the current permit to stay depend upon where it is applied for. 

The 30 day wait is not that big a problem for most people.

Ok! That sorts it out.

Just a update i went check the final documents at Prachinburi IO. It was a much pleasant meeting, without any trying to force the retirement extension option.

Here are few of the details:

All documents must be dated for the date of submission.

Map should be handrawn, a Google map is acceptable as back up

2 photos and 2 sets, one photo of me and my wife outside the house showing house address board, the other "around" the housr. Note the imoffice have a template to mount the pictures.

We had a discussion regarding my proof of income from the British Embbassy, as they had not seen one before they were thinking it should translated and certifed at the MFA, in the end and because they could see the embossed stamp and I showed them a copy from last year they accepted it.

With kind regards

Colin

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• 1 month later...