New promotion at Big C extra

Allstars

2 hours ago, Allstars said:

Did you realise that most foreigners in Thailand are unable to get a Thai credit card

You are wrong , you don't need a credit card but a bank ATM debit card. It will work in all the shops in Thailand.  I use Kasikorn for shopping  and you can too if you apply for it. Or Bangkok bank or any other bank . 

Then no more worries and you will save a lot of satangs ....right? 

29 minutes ago, balo said:

You are wrong , you don't need a credit card but a bank ATM debit card. It will work in all the shops in Thailand.  I use Kasikorn for shopping  and you can too if you apply for it. Or Bangkok bank or any other bank . 

Then no more worries and you will save a lot of satangs ....right? 

Sorry to disappoint you but I have no ATM nor a Credit Card in Thailand, and I have my personal reasons for that, which I not gonna explain here.

But you mean that now everyone is forced to get either an ATM, debit or Credit card if he wants to receive the correct change when he goes shopping.......right?

I must have missed that new law.

9 hours ago, Allstars said:

Sorry to disappoint you but I have no ATM nor a Credit Card in Thailand, and I have my personal reasons for that, which I not gonna explain here.

But you mean that now everyone is forced to get either an ATM, debit or Credit card if he wants to receive the correct change when he goes shopping.......right?

I must have missed that new law.

Not to be pedantic (OK, maybe a little!) but the suggestion to use a Credit Card was so that you pay the exact amount charged, you don't get change using a CC.

If you have "personal reasons" for not obtaining and using a Thai CC (despite the fact that you apparently have Foreign base Cards) then I guess you will just have to accept being "ripped off" for 25 Stangs or so every time you shop.

Patrick

6 minutes ago, p_brownstone said:

If you have "personal reasons" for not obtaining and using a Thai CC (despite the fact that you apparently have Foreign base Cards) then I guess you will just have to accept being "ripped off" for 25 Stangs or so every time you shop.

Really?

So according to you the new law says that without a credit card you can't receive correct change on your purchases anymore.

I must have missed that somewhere.

14 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Nah OP has a point if they are rounding down and he is losing out. Love those little coins. Go straight into the pringles tub and adds up nicely. Makes a great tablet stand too btw.

You have a pringles tub as a table feature ?

Seeing as they don't have a good supply of these small coins maybe everyone could raid their piggy banks and buy something for say 50.25 baht and pay with just satung coins...then they would have ample supply and extremely long checkout queues. :lol:

I've always found 7/11 and family mart pleased to except the small value coins and yes its been an issue for a long time
Could be solved very easily by the stores them selves just by moving to 1 baht increments on their price tags.

2 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

must look awesome, do you also have a bag of garbage on the table as a feature as well ?

Nah I just prop an iPad or a tablet to watch something every now and then. 

Interesting discussion this, rivetting stuff.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I notice the short changing is still going strong at Big C extra.

On Friday they simply cut the change 75 satang and today it was 25 satang they didn't bother to return.

Didn't say anything, as it isn't worth wasting a few minutes and making a scene for that amount, but I thought that when I already spent money in their store it shouldn't be anything more than normal that I get correct change.

And if they are short of small coins then they should absorb the difference themselves, since I made them a profit already.

there is actually an amusing variation of this theme in business establishments all over Cambodia- a nice little earner as Arthur Daley would say.:giggle:

the exchange rate for 1 US dollar  is widely accepted as being 4000 Riel (so if you pay in  US dollars your change is given in Riel based on this exchange rate)

on the other hand if you pay in Riel for something which is priced  in US dollars, the exchange rate suddenly becomes 4200 -which means every time you want to get rid of their local currency which accumulates very quickly in your wallet (because it's worthless once you leave the country) you have to top up in extra Riel:saai: 

26 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

there is actually an amusing variation of this theme in business establishments all over Cambodia- a nice little earner as Arthur Daley would say.:giggle:

the exchange rate for 1 US dollar  is widely accepted as being 4000 Riel (so if you pay in  US dollars your change is given in Riel based on this exchange rate)

on the other hand if you pay in Riel for something which is priced  in US dollars, the exchange rate suddenly becomes 4200 -which means every time you want to get rid of their local currency which accumulates very quickly in your wallet (because it's worthless once you leave the country) you have to top up in extra Riel:saai: 

That is buy and sell exchange rate, which is acceptable, because similar would apply if you exchange at an exchange booth or a bank.

Getting intentionally short changed, regardless of how little it is, at a shop which you have just spend money is not acceptable.

On 3/11/2017 at 2:52 PM, chickenslegs said:

When you go shopping take a few Satang coins with you.

I always carry some around myself but mostly pay by card, so never get robbed LOL.

Even if Big C does the dirty and robs all people of between 25 - 75 satang, they are still the best deal supermarket in town and most would not boycott it. On just about every visit I get discount vouchers for at least 10 baht, and often up to 200 baht. That's hard to beat at a supermarket.

There is one thing that annoys me, and it's more about the principle than losing 75 satang or so. I'll pay a 7Eleven cashier for an item and be short changed up to 75 satang when they can't bother getting out the little coins, BUT if an item costs XX.25/50/75 baht they will expect me to pay the 25/50/75 satang and if I pay with 1/5/10 baht (which you usually do) to make up the difference they will not give me the satang change. They probably figure foreigners would never quibble about such small amounts.

17 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

I notice the short changing is still going strong at Big C extra.

On Friday they simply cut the change 75 satang and today it was 25 satang they didn't bother to return.

Didn't say anything, as it isn't worth wasting a few minutes and making a scene for that amount, but I thought that when I already spent money in their store it shouldn't be anything more than normal that I get correct change.

And if they are short of small coins then they should absorb the difference themselves, since I made them a profit already.

I don't seem to have that issue. Couple of times recently been given the 25 satang as change........

Today my bill total was 296,50, I paid with a 500 Baht note and received 203 Baht in change. When I approached the cashier where the 50 satang was, she acted as if she didn't hear me.

Next time I'm gonna make sure I have a total that ends on 50 satang, and give them 50 satang short, so lets see how the reaction then will be.

9 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Today my bill total was 296,50, I paid with a 500 Baht note and received 203 Baht in change. When I approached the cashier where the 50 satang was, she acted as if she didn't hear me.

Next time I'm gonna make sure I have a total that ends on 50 satang, and give them 50 satang short, so lets see how the reaction then will be.

I wonder if they do this to Thai customers as well or only with foreigners?

Just now, midas said:

I wonder if they do this to Thai customers as well or only with foreigners?

L have no idea about that, there is even a poster on this page who claims it never happens to him, though it has now happened 4 times out of 4 in the past week alone.

Different cashiers as well.

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

L have no idea about that, there is even a poster on this page who claims it never happens to him, though it has now happened 4 times out of 4 in the past week alone.

Different cashiers as well.

I said it hadn't happened to me and that was the case until today. This afternoon the cashier however did not ignore it but said sorry no have satang. I said ok give me back one baht then with a smile......after a slight pause she asked the girl next to her who begrudgingly gave her some satang change......

Reminds me of Don't ask, Don't get.

Up to you if you want to keep letting them get away with it.

42 minutes ago, topt said:

I said it hadn't happened to me and that was the case until today. This afternoon the cashier however did not ignore it but said sorry no have satang. I said ok give me back one baht then with a smile......after a slight pause she asked the girl next to her who begrudgingly gave her some satang change......

Reminds me of Don't ask, Don't get.

Up to you if you want to keep letting them get away with it.

I'm sure you must have noticed that I wrote, that I asked about the 50 Satang but was completely ignored.

So what do you suggest? Make a big scene at the checkout, call the police, take some ufc fighters with me?

Any way, thanks for retracting your earlier hidden suggestion that I was making up this, as it of course never happened with you.

2 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

I'm sure you must have noticed that I wrote, that I asked about the 50 Satang but was completely ignored.

So what do you suggest? Make a big scene at the checkout, call the police, take some ufc fighters with me?

Any way, thanks for retracting your earlier hidden suggestion that I was making up this, as it of course never happened with you.

What I did worked - cannot speak for you but frankly you are either overly cynical or paranoid as there was no hidden suggestion in what I said and I do agree with Tropo's earlier comments.

Archived