Beware Tuk Com

Roger Lee

I know and appreciate that most dealers there are honest and will come down in price when bargained with.  Today however I requested a plastic screen saver replacement, (not the glass, just the saver part) on my iPhone 6+ and was quoted 790 baht.  I balked and was offered 740 baht.  Realizing that I might have been misunderstood, I asked again and explained that it wasn't the glass part but it was just the plastic protector part.  She then became beligerent and asked how much I would offer.  I replied I wasn't interested, thanks and goodbye.  

On the other side of the escalators I was able to get this done for 200 baht to a happy, cheery and satisfied vendor.

My point is beware when dealing with these folks, many might be or they might get greedy.

I quit dealing with these scammers a long time ago.  Especially after a friend got a fake phone.  He got a refund, but only after going to Pattaya city hall.

I prefer to work with the more established outlets.  Banana IT, JIB, etc.  I got my screen put on by the Samsung store in Central Festival.  About the same price.  200B or so.

There's a lot of different kinds of screen protectors.

The 790 baht one was most probably the "gorilla" kind; rock hard and really protecting against scratching objects like keys or stones. Even a hammer couldn't cause any damage (didn't try that one though).

The 200 baht one was probably the cheapest kind, more like the cooking-foil plastic and not really protecting. 

As what Jingthing is suggesting: Head for Central Pattaya Beach, find a protector and let it be installed for 50 baht. 

12 minutes ago, joepattaya1961 said:

The 790 baht one was most probably the "gorilla" kind; rock hard and really protecting against scratching objects like keys or stones. Even a hammer couldn't cause any damage (

I have broke 2 of those types on the iPhone 6......its not the toughness of the screen--- but its not as flexible as the phone.

Old habit of sitting down with it in the back pocket.

34 minutes ago, joepattaya1961 said:

The 790 baht one was most probably the "gorilla" kind; rock hard and really protecting against scratching objects like keys or stones. Even a hammer couldn't cause any damage (didn't try that one though).

The 200 baht one was probably the cheapest kind, more like the cooking-foil plastic and not really protecting. 

As what Jingthing is suggesting: Head for Central Pattaya Beach, find a protector and let it be installed for 50 baht. 

I think the last one I got was 100 or 200B.  Super hard.  2 years now and it's working great.  I don't use a cover on the phone, so it takes a beating.

I think the OP was being a little too kind in saying that most dealers their are honest.

On the contrary i've found most of the private sole traders to be overpriced scamming and dishonest.

When i need to shop there, i always go to the main franchise shops like Banana IT, JIB, Powerbuy and

IT City.

The glass screen protectors can be purchased from 100 - 300bt for most phones from Lazada

http://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=Glass screen protector

I've never find these dealers with their wares in glass cabinet to have cheaper price than big brand stores, even in BigC where they rented rows of shops just outside the tills, often the same phones is cheaper inside the proper store

2 hours ago, sotsira said:

I think the OP was being a little too kind in saying that most dealers their are honest.

On the contrary i've found most of the private sole traders to be overpriced scamming and dishonest.

When i need to shop there, i always go to the main franchise shops like Banana IT, JIB, Powerbuy and

IT City.

The glass screen protectors can be purchased from 100 - 300bt for most phones from Lazada

http://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=Glass screen protector

I have found most of them to be honest with similar pricing.  But, whatever.

16 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I have found most of them to be honest with similar pricing.  But, whatever.

The sole traders on the mobile phone floor don't display their prices for a reason,

It's so they can charge foreigners higher prices than to the locals.

I 've proved this by sending a Thai to enquire after i have, and found them to offer lower prices.

I call that dishonest and overpricing.

That's why i always buy from the more established outlets that display prices that are also cheaper.

I know and appreciate that most dealers there are honest and will come down in price when bargained with.  Today however I requested a plastic screen saver replacement, (not the glass, just the saver part) on my iPhone 6+ and was quoted 790 baht.  I balked and was offered 740 baht.  Realizing that I might have been misunderstood, I asked again and explained that it wasn't the glass part but it was just the plastic protector part.  She then became beligerent and asked how much I would offer.  I replied I wasn't interested, thanks and goodbye.  

On the other side of the escalators I was able to get this done for 200 baht to a happy, cheery and satisfied vendor.

My point is beware when dealing with these folks, many might be or they might get greedy.

Been all over Thailand have never paid more than 100 baht, rip off, I don't trust any of those cons there

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Depends what brand she had. Some plastic like Gorilla glass is pricy. Can be 1000 and its legit.

Its 9H

Diamond 10H

Chinese plastic foil 200

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Archived