Border Run With Emergency Passport

Good afternoon.

I'm flying back to the U.K in mid April but my passport has run out of pages and unfortunately need to get one more visa before I go. I am currently awaiting my new passport (25 days and counting...) but must do a border run to Cambodia within the next few days as my current visa extension is about to expire (2 days left). I was hoping I'd get my new passport this week but it's  starting to look unlikely and I really don't want to overstay. I have no problem with getting an emergency passport in order to do a quick border run but I'm unsure about how it will work. Will I be able to cross the land border to Cambodia and come back in to Thailand using the emergency passport on a 30-day arrival, as one would with a normal passport? If yes, then my second question is how do I go about transferring the visa stamp from the emergency passport to the new official one before flying back to the U.K? 

Thanks in advance!

You could apply for a 7 day extension, pay 1900 baht and be given 7 days to leave the country. That might be enough for your new passport to arrive. 

Have you checked with the passport office in the UK to find out the status of your application?

If the trip to Cambodia is shown your emergency passport you could use it for a crossing and re-enter the country.

If you get the emergency passport they will cancel your current one. You then use both passports on departure from the country to have your entry stamp transferred to the the emergency passport. Then the same when your new passport arrives.

From personal experience.... you get a ETD that is supposed to be used to continue your journey back to the UK. 

You also have to show them at the British Embassy your booked flights/travel arrangements and countries on route and list any stopovers. i.e if you fly through Dubai / Paris / Amsterdam.

I doubt if you can do a border run using one ?

it is what it is - for Emergency travel use only and on returning to the UK the ETD is taken off you at Immigration/Border control - whatever they call themselves these days.

I would certainly seek advice from the British Embassy before going down this route, as Ubonjoe states, under normal circumstances when an ETD is issued, then your newly applied for passport will be cancelled. 

You need to ask the embassy if there are circumstances whereby the new passport will not be cancelled.

You can specify up to 5 countries on an ETD.

3 minutes ago, lonewolf99 said:

From personal experience.... you get a ETD that is supposed to be used to continue your journey back to the UK. 

You also have to show them at the British Embassy your booked flights/travel arrangements and countries on route and list any stopovers. i.e if you fly through Dubai / Paris / Amsterdam.

I doubt if you can do a border run using one ?

it is what it is - for Emergency travel use only and on returning to the UK the ETD is taken off you at Immigration/Border control - whatever they call themselves these days.

Not strictly correct regarding having to return back to the UK according to the Government Website info on an ETD, though the OP doesn't actually live in Thailand.

What an emergency travel document lets you do

You can use an emergency travel document to travel to your destination through a maximum of 5 countries. You can also normally use it to return to where you are now if you live in the country you’re applying from.

Your travel plans (countries and dates) will be printed on your emergency travel document. If you change your travel plans once you have your emergency travel document, you’ll need to apply for a new one.

Your existing British passport will be cancelled in most cases.

You may need a visa to leave the country you’re in or to travel through other countries with your emergency travel document. Check with the embassy or consulate of each country.

If your final destination is the UK, border staff will keep your emergency travel document when you arrive. Border staff at a different final destination might also keep the document.

I don't see what I did not get correct.... the last line stating that another country might also keep the document is worrying for anyone using one of these ETD's.

I assumed the OP lives in  the UK and that is what the British (soon to be the English Embassy post Brexit and Scotland leaving the UK again) will assume

and issue  the ETD for a plan to go back there.  I had to get an ETD because my passport was stolen and I had to organise my travel and turn up with proof of theft police report

and the booking confirmation of flights etc before they would issue the document. took 5 days in all with arranging appointment etc on line to go and get it at BKK UK  Embassy

etc......etc...

Appreciate the quick and helpful replies. I just sent an online request for an update on the whereabouts of my new passport. ubonjoe, is the 7-day extension available if I've already got a 30-day extension on my current visa? If so, how do I go about getting it?

5 minutes ago, Silentwalker said:

Appreciate the quick and helpful replies. I just sent an online request for an update on the whereabouts of my new passport. ubonjoe, is the 7-day extension available if I've already got a 30-day extension on my current visa? If so, how do I go about getting it?

You would get 7 days to leave the country after the extension application was denied because you are not qualified for one since you have already obtained one extension. You apply for it like you would for any other extension.

If they ask tell them you are waiting for your new passport to arrive.

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You would get 7 days to leave the country after the extension application was denied because you are not qualified for one since you have already obtained one extension. You apply for it like you would for any other extension.

If they ask tell them you are waiting for your new passport to arrive.

Correct me if I've got the wrong idea, but what I think you're saying is this: Go to the nearest Immigration Office before my current extension run out, apply for a 30 day extension on my TV, which in turn will get rejected because I'm already on my extension, and then by default the given officer will have to give me 7 days to leave Thailand. But would they actually let me apply for an extension knowing I'm already on one? Thanks

2 minutes ago, Silentwalker said:

Correct me if I've got the wrong idea, but what I think you're saying is this: Go to the nearest Immigration Office before my current extension run out, apply for a 30 day extension on my TV, which in turn will get rejected because I'm already on my extension, and then by default the given officer will have to give me 7 days to leave Thailand. But would they actually let me apply for an extension knowing I'm already on one? Thanks

They accept applications all the time for the 7 days. It is a way to give people extra time to leave the country so they don't have to go on a overstay.

You would put down 7 days in the length of extension space on the TM7 form. You could write in the reason space on it something like need more time for my passport to arrive.

• Like 1