Farang Price

strikingsunset

I've just been to get some passport/visa pics in Phuket - everyone directed me to the only local place that does them. I noticed on the wall a poster showed the size pic I wanted - 6 baht each.

I then asked at the counter for 4 pics ... 140 baht was the answer - I said there it says 6 baht each - the woman just laughed and said " farang price"

Sorry but I had to have a rant....

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Something similar happened to me years ago.

I needed some passport-type photos, so I had my own photo which I used Photoshop to clone so there would be 6 identical images on a single 4x6 print. (I was also getting some other 4x6 images printed).

When the shop clerk saw that one of the files to be printed had multiple images, he wanted to charge me the passport photo price for printing that particular file. I just walked down the street to the next shop, where they were happy to print my files for the regular price.

I think this is one of those cases where the farang misunderstood the situation and has complained without fair reason.  This is a phenomena I see more and more.

I imagine the the price you say on the wall was 6 baht per 4 x 6 print.  That's high (I have seen 2.5 baht per print in Bangkok), but at the end of the day that shop charges 6 baht and the price is clearly displayed and is probably the same for whomever walks through the door.

The 140 baht you were charged for passport photos was for the service of being photographed as well as the actual photographs you received.  You probably were taken out back of the store or upstairs to an area where there was a camera and a professional lighting setup with a white or blue photographic background behind you.  Probably a couple of photos were taken.  The camera might have been tethered to a computer or maybe the memory card was taken out of the camera and put in to a computer where the photos were transferred.  They were then probably sharpened up, brightened up and then formatted so they could be printed.  They were then printed, cut up and given to you.

You did not just get a single 4 x 6 inch photograph.  You received a service for which the supplier had to make an investment in all of that equipment (camera, lighting equipment, computer, photographic backgrounds) and for which they had to use their labour and their expertise.

Had you taken the photos at home and prepared a file you could have taken that to the shop and it had printed for 6 baht.  You did not because presumably it was not convenient to do so and / or you do not have the equipment / expertise to be able to do it.

140 baht for a set of passport photos is not over the top at all.

Edited by mstevens

Do you drink at 7/11 as well? I must admit you would have been ripped off though- I only pay B120 for a set of 4 passport size pictures.

Now, what to do with that 20 baht................................................

Edited by Psimbo

Why do people get so wound up about farang pricing? For minor goods and services, is it worth the angst? For larger sums, we do have the choice of walking away.

My Thai GF sometimes tells me to stay in the car when she shops - if they see me with her, the price goes up. She's an attack dog when it comes to bargaining with shopkeepers.

I remember watching a report on Australian 60 minutes that Chinese tourists were being charged by tour operators to visit public beaches in Australia

Have not had anyone try to charge me for visiting Nai Harn beach here yet

6 minutes ago, jslabbert said:

It is your own choice. If you want it that desperately you pay. Otherwise  walk away and see if you can get it cheaper elsewhere. 140Baht ... oh my that price would make you bankrupt ...... Really??!!!!!!!!!!! Really people are so narrow minded  and always complain about this and that in Thailand. Why are you then as a "farang" in Thailand?  Why cant you make it in your own country? 

Its harder to become a permanent resident here than it is to win the lottery, so forget about trying to become a Thai National/citizen

Stop you ranting on about something that is nearly impossible to do and have a nice day 

I think you missed my point.

I was having about 20 different 4x6 pictures printed. One of the pictures was a composite that contained 6 identical 2x3 images on a single 4x6 print. The shop wanted to charge me a premium because that picture would have looked like something that could be used as passport photos.

The point you missed was that this particular shop felt that they could charge different prices for prints depending upon the subject matter being printed. Never had that situation occur with any other shop. I wonder if they would charge different amounts for printing pictures of family vs. the beach vs. landscapes, etc.  From your comments, I guess you would be ok with that.

I think you missed my point.

I was having about 20 different 4x6 pictures printed. One of the pictures was a composite that contained 6 identical 2x3 images on a single 4x6 print. The shop wanted to charge me a premium because that picture would have looked like something that could be used as passport photos.

The point you missed was that this particular shop felt that they could charge different prices for prints depending upon the subject matter being printed. Never had that situation occur with any other shop. I wonder if they would charge different amounts for printing pictures of family vs. the beach vs. landscapes, etc.  From your comments, I guess you would be ok with that.

People are probably reacting to the OP.

sent using Tapatalk

58 minutes ago, Kabula said:

Forget about it!

Go with the flow and have fun.

There is a two price system in most foreign countries.

It's only fair when you think about it.

"There is a two price system in most foreign countries." - I am aware many countries have concession cards for students and pensioners, but I'm not aware of countries that charge more for a different race of people, at the retail point of sale. 

I simply take photo with digital camera then get photo shop to print pics to the size I want. They print enough to fill the sheet which I then use every year for visa extension and DL renewal.