Trump paid $38 million in taxes in 2005 - White House

webfact

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Rachel blew it on this one.  But many of her videos are spot on.  Worth watching.  She's a very smart lady with many honors and awards.  Excellent journalist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Maddow

Many think Trump did release this, as it does show he paid taxes.  Makes him look good.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/15/politics/journalist-says-its-possible-tax-returns-came-from-trump-cnntv/index.html

Well it's another "could have" "some  think" "sources say" speculation without facts to fit the narrative. Like maybe it was the RUSSIANS who released the documents...I'm surprised that hasn't been thrown into the mix already

Edited by Linzz

8 minutes ago, Linzz said:

Well it's another "could have" "some  think" "sources say" speculation without facts to fit the narrative. Like maybe it was the RUSSIANS who released the documents...I'm surprised that hasn't been thrown into the mix already

Yes, pure speculation for now.  Unlike Russian involvement in previous hacks, which has been proven.  No speculation there.

36 minutes ago, Godolphin said:

As opposed to the moral superiority and competence of the right?

As opposed to Hillary, etc saying Trump doesn't pay any taxes.

Interesting side line to the reporting on Trump, he had an effective tax rate of 24% that year, Bernie had 13.5% for 2014, Obama had a rate of 18.7 for 2015. Do you think the IRS can expect a check from Bernie, for his fair share?

18 minutes ago, beechguy said:

Interesting side line to the reporting on Trump, he had an effective tax rate of 24% that year, Bernie had 13.5% for 2014, Obama had a rate of 18.7 for 2015. Do you think the IRS can expect a check from Bernie, for his fair share?

You can spin this a number of way.  Until Trump releases his returns, it's all speculation.  Just because he paid taxes for one or two years, doesn't mean much.  We do know he wrote off almost 1 Billion USD and has tax loss carryovers due to that.  And nobody has seen his full returns.  Just snippets from a few years.

13 hours ago, nuakmuaynina said:

This proves nothing, those returns are old and only for one year...its gives no indication of his current circumstances. 

As pointed out by another poster it does provide a clue on why Trump wants to abolish the  alternative minimum tax

Edited by simple1

3 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

You can spin this a number of way.  Until Trump releases his returns, it's all speculation.  Just because he paid taxes for one or two years, doesn't mean much.  We do know he wrote off almost 1 Billion USD and has tax loss carryovers due to that.  And nobody has seen his full returns.  Just snippets from a few years.

Just to clarify for those that don't know, the loss carryovers are perfectly legal, and any business can do it, his was just a larger number.

1 minute ago, beechguy said:

Just to clarify for those that don't know, the loss carryovers are perfectly legal, and any business can do it, his was just a larger number.

100% correct.  I have a rather large one also.  But it would still be good to release his returns.  Since he's not, there's obviously something he's hiding.  Otherwise, why not release them?

This proves nothing, those returns are old and only for one year...its gives no indication of his current circumstances. 

His current circumstances are he's the leader of the free world.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, Dagnabbit said:

His current circumstances are he's the leader of the free world.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. I have to laugh sometimes, at the description that he is a liar and a crook, etc. So what, we were going to have that, no matter who won the election!

10 minutes ago, beechguy said:

Agreed. I have to laugh sometimes, at the description that he is a liar and a crook, etc. So what, we were going to have that, no matter who won the election!

You can't compare Trump to Hillary.  I don't like either, but Trump is a habitual liar.  Hillary is just a politician, like all the others.  Truth can be a tricky thing when a politician.  Trump just makes it worse.

18 minutes ago, beechguy said:

Right. He's just a guy who refused to put his business in a blind trust and he seems to be profiging immensely from his circumstances. How much? We don't know because he's not disclosing. Clearly there's no cause for suspicion here.

2 hours ago, beechguy said:

ANd the reason Trump paid as much as he did was because of the alternative minimum tax.  A tax he wants to abolish.

6 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

You can't compare Trump to Hillary.  I don't like either, but Trump is a habitual liar.  Hillary is just a politician, like all the others.  Truth can be a tricky thing when a politician.  Trump just makes it worse.

Agree.  Trump has no peer when it comes to lying.  He is the very definition of a pathological liar, pure and simple.  I honestly thought that it was campaign rhetoric during the elections, even though his lies then were well over-the-top.  But even now, he's governing with deceit.  He's the freakin President of the United States, yet he lies like a two-bit conman.  Amazing.  

3 hours ago, beechguy said:

Interesting side line to the reporting on Trump, he had an effective tax rate of 24% that year, Bernie had 13.5% for 2014, Obama had a rate of 18.7 for 2015. Do you think the IRS can expect a check frheom Bernie, for his fair share?

Let's see, if we ever do, Trump's tax records right up to the present before we generalise from one year's results.

Is it possible that Trump's team deliberately leaked this information in order to take the spotlight off this, as well as a whole raft, of embarrassing issues currently besieging the White House?

Comparing Trump's tax issues to Clinton's, Obama's and Sanders' doesn't make Trump's position any more legitimate.

The only people who give a rat's ass about seeing Trump's returns are those that want to find something nefarious about him.  Rachael Maddow made an ass of herself with her rambling diatribe. She couldn't even keep on track. It doesn't even appear she fully understood what she was looking at.  It was a total embarrassment.  It was all a hype for ratings.  Now to cover how stupid this came off they are trying to claim Trump sent them to misdirect media coverage away from other things.  What a crock of s . . t.

3 hours ago, beechguy said:

Dull comment. The return is for 2005 - 12 years ago and you compare tax rates to 2014/15. 

Is it a real tax return? Is it genuine? Or is it like the Obama birth certificates Trump kept finding? Trump just needs to hand in his official tax returns to show it.

7 minutes ago, Linzz said:

There is to date still no absolute proof of Russian hacking. Please point me to where there is proof and I will gratefully stand corrected.

In my view it has become a McCarthyite false narrative, but am willing t o change my mind on evidence.

When someone demands absolute proof, you know that have already absolutely made up their mind.

2 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Agree.  Trump has no peer when it comes to lying.  He is the very definition of a pathological liar, pure and simple.  I honestly thought that it was campaign rhetoric during the elections, even though his lies then were well over-the-top.  But even now, he's governing with deceit.  He's the freakin President of the United States, yet he lies like a two-bit conman.  Amazing.  

And Trump has released his budget for Congressional approval which seeks the deepest services budget cuts since WW11. Unless Congress can control the idiocracy of the Administration, IMO Trump and his inner circle are well on their way in their anti State agenda to the detriment of the general US population.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/trump-federal-budget-2018-massive-cuts-to-the-arts-science-and-the-poor/2017/03/15/0a0a0094-09a1-11e7-a15f-a58d4a988474_story.html?utm_term=.9f2d2ef3e0e9

4 hours ago, simple1 said:

As pointed out by another poster it does provide a clue on why Trump wants to abolish the  alternative minimum tax

Me too!  It is a terrible tax and exists only because of special loopholes enjoyed by very very high income individuals. Abolish the loopholes and the AMT and the system will be much more just.

4 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Me too!  It is a terrible tax and exists only because of special loopholes enjoyed by very very high income individuals. Abolish the loopholes and the AMT and the system will be much more just.

You mean it's a terrible tax because it makes the wealthy pay something despite all the loopholes?

9 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

You mean it's a terrible tax because it makes the wealthy pay something despite all the loopholes?

No, it's a terrible tax because it is unfair. If you make too much in a given year, despite the fact that you may have made nothing in prior years, you are taxed at a higher rate, despite whatever exemptions and deductions and depreciations you may have. For people in this circumstance income averaging was a much fairer taxation policy.

44 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

No, it's a terrible tax because it is unfair. If you make too much in a given year, despite the fact that you may have made nothing in prior years, you are taxed at a higher rate, despite whatever exemptions and deductions and depreciations you may have. For people in this circumstance income averaging was a much fairer taxation policy.

Except for farmers and fishers, income averaging no longer exists.  And certainly if it ever was a problem, a tweak to the tax system could solve it rather than propose something massively unrealistic like abolition of tax loopholes.

Just now, ilostmypassword said:

Except for farmers and fishers, income averaging no longer exists.  And certainly if it ever was a problem, a tweak to the tax system could solve it rather than propose something massively unrealistic like abolition of tax loopholes.

It's a <deleted> up system. I remember paying >$250,000 in excess taxes one year because of the AMT. I had to buy 40 acres of citrus groves I didn't want the next year, for the accelerated depreciation it provided me. I let the oranges fall to the ground and rot for the loss. I let the trees die for the tax benefit. I replanted and  sold it on after 5 years to another tax avoider, all because the system is constructed improperly.

On 3/15/2017 at 5:01 PM, Andaman Al said:

Look if someone were going to leak Trumps Tax returns there would be all 50 000 pages from the last 15 years. Someone does not risk jail time to leak two pages of a tax return. This is Trump and his administration taking the heat off the wire tapping clam (possibly impeachable event) and the Russian investigation. Trump is doing whatever he can to confuse the media and the people. Now that may be 'fun' and games for a reality TV star but it is NOT what is wanted or required by the President and the people that surround him. Use your head.

Exactly.  It's like the Yahoo thing.  does anyone really think Russian spies hacked Yahoo hahaaaa.  Hackers yes, but spies would not waste their time or effort.  It's another distraction.  The point of the request of his taxes is to see where his money is coming from anyway. 

6 hours ago, Linzz said:

There is to date still no absolute proof of Russian hacking. Please point me to where there is proof and I will gratefully stand corrected.

In my view it has become a McCarthyite false narrative, but am willing t o change my mind on evidence.

Here is but one example. There are many more.  You just need to use Google.

http://tech.thaivisa.com/u-s-charges-russian-spies-hackers-in-massive-yahoo-hack/20408/

As was said above, you've already decided this before looking for the truth.

7 hours ago, Trouble said:

The only people who give a rat's ass about seeing Trump's returns are those that want to find something nefarious about him.  Rachael Maddow made an ass of herself with her rambling diatribe. She couldn't even keep on track. It doesn't even appear she fully understood what she was looking at.  It was a total embarrassment.  It was all a hype for ratings.  Now to cover how stupid this came off they are trying to claim Trump sent them to misdirect media coverage away from other things.  What a crock of s . . t.

The people who want to see Trump's return are just seeing the truth.  And for him to do the same as all previous presidents.  Fair is fair.

Nobody said Trump sent the returns.  They just said it's possible as he's done similar things in the past.  As they say....actions in the past predict the future.

9 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

Dull comment. The return is for 2005 - 12 years ago and you compare tax rates to 2014/15. 

Is it a real tax return? Is it genuine? Or is it like the Obama birth certificates Trump kept finding? Trump just needs to hand in his official tax returns to show it.

Dull comment, and for me a dull subject. If Hillary had won, would you want to investigate her finances with the same vigor? The Republicans probably would, but I don't know how many others would be. I don't think anyone that has been in D.C. for any length of time, is very ethical, and that's on both sides of the aisle.

9 hours ago, Godolphin said:

Let's see, if we ever do, Trump's tax records right up to the present before we generalise from one year's results.

Is it possible that Trump's team deliberately leaked this information in order to take the spotlight off this, as well as a whole raft, of embarrassing issues currently besieging the White House?

Comparing Trump's tax issues to Clinton's, Obama's and Sanders' doesn't make Trump's position any more legitimate.

It doesn't make their situation more legitimate, especially when they are trying to maintain, the guy is a crook, just because he used the tax code legally to his advantage.