All passenger vehicles must have GPS by year's end says Land Transport Department

webfact

All passenger vehicles must have GPS by year's end says Land Transport Department

4pm.jpg 

Picture: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- The Land Transport department is pressing ahead with plans to ensure that all public passenger vehicles of every kind are fitted with GPS by the end of 2017.

Sanit Phromwong of the LTD said yesterday that the plan to fit all minivans with the systems is now being applied to all public vehicles, reported Thai Rath.

In addition GPS will also have to be fitted in large trailers and trucks by the end of 2019.

Sanit said that so far 136,460 public passenger transport vehicles had GPS which represented 30% of the total.

The number of minivans fitted is now at 40% of the total - the deadline for those vehicles is the end of this month.

The project to fit all vehicles starts in earnest on March 25th. All public passenger transport vehicles will be expected to have the

system by the end of the year.

All trailers and trucks over ten wheels being registered as new must fit the system immediately. Old trailers and trucks have until the end of 2019 to comply.

Operators who do not comply will not be able to renew or register their license to operate.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-15

11 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

How will these gps make riding mini vans more safe?

Exactly!  I take a van out to Rangsit every once in awhile.  When they are speeding down the Don Muang Tollway at 130 there is a beeper that goes off every second or two.  That's what GPS does.  It requires the passengers to listen to the beeper when the van is speeding.  Of course most of the drivers have muffled the beeper so it's not too loud to disturb them all day.  

Just now, ricklev said:

Exactly!  I take a van out to Rangsit every once in awhile.  When they are speeding down the Don Muang Tollway at 130 there is a beeper that goes off every second or two.  That's what GPS does.  It requires the passengers to listen to the beeper when the van is speeding.  Of course most of the drivers have muffled the beeper so it's not too loud to disturb them all day.  

How it controls bumper tailing and overtake from wrong lanes?This what causes most accidents 

They better hope that they never have my mum in their van, lol. Taking my newborn son to Thailand to see my wifes family, we got a mini-bus from the airport to the hotel, my mum is a nervous passenger at the best of times but she was bricking it on the motorway and if she told him once to slow down she told him 100 times of course he just smiled, nodded and kept going eventually in her strongest Scottish accent, and probably loudest, she told him to slow down. He hadn't a clue what she was saying but he knew by the tone she wasn't happy and he asked my wife if everything was ok, I'm not sure what she said but he slowed down.

Brigante7.

i wonder if the GPS they are aiming at, is the type used by Couriers and big trucking firms? the type that feeds back in real time to HQ, so that HQ can keeps tabs the driver's speed and location, to keep up with timetables

If it is then it means the Courts have another weapon to hold up against errant drivers, in the even of accidents or infringements

"The number of minivans fitted is now at 40% of the total - the deadline for those vehicles is the end of this month. The project to fit all vehicles starts in earnest on March 25th"

The owners of the companies who fail to comply will be taken out, tied to a bar stool, and severely lashed with wet bamii noodles in-between shots of Johnney Walker Blue Label for them and their friends in high places. 

And of course these GPS units will be use to monitor and enforce proper speed compliance by the van drivers, "Of course...Bottoms up - Chai Yo!"

i wonder if the GPS they are aiming at, is the type used by Couriers and big trucking firms? the type that feeds back in real time to HQ, so that HQ can keeps tabs the driver's speed and location, to keep up with timetables

If it is then it means the Courts have another weapon to hold up against errant drivers, in the even of accidents or infringements

It will be whatever sort of GPS is supplied by the well connected ones who have paid good money for the monopoly/contract to supply and fit them.

Fine. So the GPS is beeping away when the driver is barrelling along at 140km/h. The more important question is, what is going to stop the idiot from wrapping the van and all its occupants around some immovable and solid road furniture? GPS, new vans, bigger vans, vehicle checks - nothing can stop the accidents because the root cause of it - the idiot driver - is the same. Doesn't anyone in these departments have even a single-celled brain to figure this out? Oh wait, maybe one of their friends just started a new business selling GPS devices... just saying.

6 hours ago, helloagain said:

Is this all they have to worry about. What about the standard of driving from these idiots first. Too fast.....too close.....drive too long then fall asleep

Don't panic they are working on a monitor for that to. Something about a current passing through the car seat and if they doze off they get a jolt. Must be installed by 2020

7 hours ago, helloagain said:

Is this all they have to worry about. What about the standard of driving from these idiots first. Too fast.....too close.....drive too long then fall asleep

the should install a Tachograph in every car so the can control the driver for speeding and work time

8 hours ago, tifino said:

That's the point here. Every mobilephone has a GPS nowadays, which is nothing more than a receiver that tells you your position and your speed. Completely useless if you want to reduce accidents. What the gouvernemnt wants passenger vehicles to implement in fact is what you call  "Telemety", ie. a bidirectional communication system that sends all this data (including car information like engine-RPM) to a fleet-center and also stores all log-data on an internal memory (what would be equivalent to a tachograph/trip recorder). Everything else would make no sense.

Except building a functionning an convinient railway-system of course.

As everyone knows, Thai minivan pilots are among the rudest, most unsafe 'drivers' on the roads here.  Instead of installing GPS systems, there's a much more effective method to solve this problem.  At the end of each week the cops should simply line up all of the obnoxious miscreants given tickets for endangering not only themselves, but their passengers and everyone else on the road for that week,  line them up against the wall and shoot them publicly.  It wouldn't take long before the rest of the minivan moronic jacka$$es got the message to drive safely.

And yes, it's harsh, and yes, I'm being a little bit facetious, but I'm still bitter after one almost took me out not long ago by running a stop sign directly in front of me, at high speed no less, while I was on my motorbike.  If it weren't for my quick reaction time and ABS brakes I'd probably be dead now.  Luckily I wasn't speeding or I would be on a different astral plane now.

Yep, the police should line 'em up against the wall and shoot 'em!  I'll bring the popcorn and cold drinks. :partytime2:

12 hours ago, DieterWiehe said:

the should install a Tachograph in every car so the can control the driver for speeding and work time

Now that is being too sensible for this part of the world but you are so right 

On 3/15/2017 at 4:42 AM, ricklev said:

I wonder if their GPS will "Fail" as often as their brakes?

--------

Had a taxi w/ Indian driver taking me from Dubai to Abu Dhabi once. I was knackered after a 30 hour flight.

No GPS, but the beeper was tied into the speedometer.

Talk about annoying! I was ready to strangle the guy!