married - divorce - re-marry

So after 9 years of marriage and equal as many yearly extensions I'm planning on a divorce and in the nearby future to get married again with new girlfriend :)

Now some visa related questions.

After the divorce is official at the amphur I suppose the visa loses its validity after 7 days, correct ?

What would be the best way around this without too much hassle ? Getting a non o multiple entry at a consulate before making the divorce official ? And in the year this is valid get all paper work done to marry with new GF ?

Regarding our Western embassies, is it possible to show them our divorce cert and hereby immediately apply for a new freedom to marry cert or is there a waiting period or something ?

Just some thought, ideas welcome.

When you get divorced your extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon marriage would end a visa would remain valid.

The option of getting a multiple entry non-o visa would be a good option since it would remain valid for entry until it expires.

I am not aware of any embassy that would have a waiting period before you could get a affirmation  of permit to marry but I guess there might be a few that do. You would have to check with them.

There is no restriction on getting married again under Thai law since you are a man. For a woman there is a waiting period unless a pregnancy test is done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

When you get divorced your extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon marriage would end a visa would remain valid.

The option of getting a multiple entry non-o visa would be a good option since it would remain valid for entry until it expires.

I am not aware of any embassy that would have a waiting period before you could get a affirmation  of permit to marry but I guess there might be a few that do. You would have to check with them.

There is no restriction on getting married again under Thai law since you are a man. For a woman there is a waiting period unless a pregnancy test is done.

I had to post a "Notice of no Impediment" at the Embassy and could not marry for 7 weeks. After that, plain sailing...

@UbonJoe is correct.  I would obtain non-o multiple visa shortly before the divorce.  Then when you re-marry you have one less thing to worry about.

51 minutes ago, hobobo said:

I had to post a "Notice of no Impediment" at the Embassy and could not marry for 7 weeks. After that, plain sailing...

What country is your passport?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

@UbonJoe is correct.  I would obtain non-o multiple visa shortly before the divorce.  Then when you re-marry you have one less thing to worry about.

What country is your passport?

UK, as is my wife's. But we got married in Kathmandu, so requirements at the British Embassy in Nepal may be different?

7 minutes ago, hobobo said:

UK, as is my wife's. But we got married in Kathmandu, so requirements at the British Embassy in Nepal may be different?

A different country and getting married to person that was not a citizen of the country where you got married. Not anywhere near being relevant to this topic.

1 hour ago, NoBrainer said:

Getting divorced and then re-married right away?

Some people are just gluttons for punishment!!!

Who says I was punished in anyway in first marriage ?  Jeez some people really are all about being negative :)

Anyway, Thanks to those who replied with meaningful info which is what a forum is about. To the negative thinkers......Go out and have some fun :)

Edited by likewise
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, BsBs said:

But why looking for problems and divorcing the first one ? Will you do it again with the next one ? I had dozens of new girlfriend but never felt the need to divorce and look for visa problems !

since getting divorced in the uk 20 years ago and living here 17 years i NEVER felt the need to get married again. i worked that scam out years ago.good luck

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Recently, my Thai wife told me that if she would somehow die, e.g. in an accident, all possessions of our family that are formally registered on her name will be inherited by her mother as her closest relative while me - her husband - will get nothing despite it was all my money we payed for everything we have. we are married 8 years and half, have no kids of own. I have invested about 150,000 Euro in her - farms, houses, a car, tractor, etc, being sure that it will be appreciated. it was a shock to me to hear such things and I am seriously considering a divorce because in this case with good lawyers I have a chance to get at least half of my money back. no kidding.

Anybody can clarify on it? is it really so that husband gets nothing in such a case? In in civilized countries a wife and husband are the closest relatives to such extend that the wife inherits all properties of the family if her husband is passing away and vice-versa.  how is it possible that husband is not the closest relative? should I mention that her mother is a special kind - single mother, an alcoholic and served in jail for homicide? I really loved my wife to life as she was in very bad shape. and what I hear from her leaves me speechless. it is not so that I was planning to arrange an accident, quite contrary. I take good care of my wife. She never worked while we are married but she is a careless driver. So, I am scared.

Edited by Oleg57
grammar

AS far as I know YOU inherit from her but as we all know we cannot own land so I'm not really sure but I think you'd have a year time to sell your land/house. Not really sure but this is what I have been told. Not sure if she makes a will and cuts you out though.

Maybe some experts on this topic can reply.

3 hours ago, Oleg57 said:

Recently, my Thai wife told me that if she would somehow die, e.g. in an accident, all possessions of our family that are formally registered on her name will be inherited by her mother as her closest relative while me - her husband - will get nothing despite it was all my money we payed for everything we have. we are married 8 years and half, have no kids of own. I have invested about 150,000 Euro in her - farms, houses, a car, tractor, etc, being sure that it will be appreciated. it was a shock to me to hear such things and I am seriously considering a divorce because in this case with good lawyers I have a chance to get at least half of my money back. no kidding.

Anybody can clarify on it? is it really so that husband gets nothing in such a case? In in civilized countries a wife and husband are the closest relatives to such extend that the wife inherits all properties of the family if her husband is passing away and vice-versa.  how is it possible that husband is not the closest relative? should I mention that her mother is a special kind - single mother, an alcoholic and served in jail for homicide? I really loved my wife to life as she was in very bad shape. and what I hear from her leaves me speechless. it is not so that I was planning to arrange an accident, quite contrary. I take good care of my wife. She never worked while we are married but she is a careless driver. So, I am scared.

Assuming you invested this money after marriage.

Under Thai inheritance laws your wife is technically correct, except when legally married, then the husband automatically inherits 100% unless a Will to the contrary leaves her 50% to her family.

You cannot inherit land, so should have an usufruct in place to protect your right to live there in the event of your wife's death.

8 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Assuming you invested this money after marriage.

Under Thai inheritance laws your wife is technically correct, except when legally married, then the husband automatically inherits 100% unless a Will to the contrary leaves her 50% to her family.

You cannot inherit land, so should have an usufruct in place to protect your right to live there in the event of your wife's death.

Thanks. A big relief. I cannot inherit land, sure but at least houses, vehicles, and other stuff. It is already something. Land was a major piece of the investments. I will try to care about it. All was purchased after our legal marriage. 

It is my huge delusion but I was very serious to have a family and dreaming about to have kids from my wife so that they will inherit all. Didn't see why it cannot work. However, my wife has serious issues with her health and it seems so that she cannot have kids. We already were through stages of special treatments but in vane. Right now she is in the middle of another quite expensive  medical care to conceive a child. But after recent events that she demonstrated again no serious interest to get own kids and instead to deprive me from funds and to transfer them to her big family. I just cannot have sex with her. May be under drugs or in a state of hypnosis.

I believed that it has to be her CORE interests to have a loving husband, kids and happy future together. I cannot complain that somebody does not love me but misuse and betray in the interests of her relatives who never cared about her. Yet, I was the only person at this planet who cherished her, providing with all means for better life. She is already 38 that is at the edge of her fertility. She was married with a local guy for 7 years, no kids. That guy got re-married and a kid from another woman. I used to have a son but it was long ago. A tragic  story of my life made me a bit crazy about having other kids. So many times I asked her to be wise and to act responsible to her own life. Otherwise, she will be have gloomy childless future while being surrounded by her hungry for money and rude relatives. And they NEVER cared about her. NEVER! In childhood mother was repeatedly beating her to bloody mess, have broken her nose. And alcoholic addiction of her mother is another nightmare stories. Yet, she is loyal to her big family, crashed own family and virtually rejected an idea to have own kids. The only reasonable explanation that she and her relatives do not consider me as a human but a source of easy money.

OK, I will think all around. To the moment a divorce and re-marriage seems to be a solution but I should not be in harry. Thanks again.

• Like 1

On 16/03/2017 at 9:54 AM, NoBrainer said:

Getting divorced and then re-married right away?

Some people are just gluttons for punishment!!!

I had planned to remarry a couple of months after my divorce absolute came through in the UK but it took 6 months in reality.

However having said that it took over 2 years from the time of separation to the decree absolute so the term re-married right away is not really correct.

I had been married to my first wife 21 years though the last 6 were spent mainly apart due to my work and I knew my second wife for 7 years before we married.

I am from the UK as was my first wife. My second wife is Thai and we married legally in the UK.

Edited by billd766
Added extra text

3 hours ago, Oleg57 said:

Thanks. A big relief. I cannot inherit land, sure but at least houses, vehicles, and other stuff. It is already something. Land was a major piece of the investments. I will try to care about it. All was purchased after our legal marriage. 

It is my huge delusion but I was very serious to have a family and dreaming about to have kids from my wife so that they will inherit all. Didn't see why it cannot work. However, my wife has serious issues with her health and it seems so that she cannot have kids. We already were through stages of special treatments but in vane. Right now she is in the middle of another quite expensive  medical care to conceive a child. But after recent events that she demonstrated again no serious interest to get own kids and instead to deprive me from funds and to transfer them to her big family. I just cannot have sex with her. May be under drugs or in a state of hypnosis.

I believed that it has to be her CORE interests to have a loving husband, kids and happy future together. I cannot complain that somebody does not love me but misuse and betray in the interests of her relatives who never cared about her. Yet, I was the only person at this planet who cherished her, providing with all means for better life. She is already 38 that is at the edge of her fertility. She was married with a local guy for 7 years, no kids. That guy got re-married and a kid from another woman. I used to have a son but it was long ago. A tragic  story of my life made me a bit crazy about having other kids. So many times I asked her to be wise and to act responsible to her own life. Otherwise, she will be have gloomy childless future while being surrounded by her hungry for money and rude relatives. And they NEVER cared about her. NEVER! In childhood mother was repeatedly beating her to bloody mess, have broken her nose. And alcoholic addiction of her mother is another nightmare stories. Yet, she is loyal to her big family, crashed own family and virtually rejected an idea to have own kids. The only reasonable explanation that she and her relatives do not consider me as a human but a source of easy money.

OK, I will think all around. To the moment a divorce and re-marriage seems to be a solution but I should not be in harry. Thanks again.

Read this link for an understanding of the law.

https://www.samuiforsale.com/knowledge/inheritance-laws-thailand.html

Should you be fortunate enough to have a child, then you and the child as descendants will equally share the assets.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2017 at 0:55 PM, Tanoshi said:

Read this link for an understanding of the law.

https://www.samuiforsale.com/knowledge/inheritance-laws-thailand.html

Should you be fortunate enough to have a child, then you and the child as descendants will equally share the assets.

Thanks a lot for providing legal information of the issue of inheritance laws in Thailand.

I see that situation is not so gloomy as I was thinking first.

A problem that my wife repeatedly pushing me to agree on a transfer of a major part of our family common property to her closest relatives that are her mother and her brother. Knowing that I am a bit crazy to get kids of own she used my approval on the transfer as almost a condition for having sex with her. And considering that I already pay for special medical treatment for her to conceive a baby and she is already 38 years old and therefore at the edge of her fertility time, it was like a last straw that made my backbone broken and made myself unwilling to have any close relations with her. I should say that when I met her 8 and half years ago she was completely broke and ill - no money, no job, no education, no place to go as nor her mother neither her brother had a house of own, no health and ability to work as she was suffering from awful head aches. I loved her back to life. Anyone may see her photos before and after we met. And I assume that it is so important for any woman to get at least one child of own that she SHOULD cooperate with me in this question.

It is my problem that somehow I believed that love can be based on the gratitude for saving her life and long care about both her mother and my wife. Both of them did not work since our marriage. I do not have any harmful habits and my health is OK. I was always most gently with her while making sex. Yet, I see that nobody can buy love of a woman.

OK, all is fine. I will survive anyway and find a just and legal way to resolve the problem.

I share my story in hope that somebody may learn from it. I have been told by many good friends of mine and my relatives not to put all my savings in one basket. Yet, I was thinking it is necessary to demonstrate to my wife that I fully trust her and wish to have life-lasting marriage and kids with her. It is sad to see my efforts failed. If there will be not radical change  to better in our relations I will start a divorce process in November of this year. And wait till then. Yet, I see  her in discussions with her relatives and am afraid that she is plotting something. Almost inhuman behavior it is, if it is true.

Edited by Oleg57
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, likewise said:

be careful out there.......try to get some assets/money back, move on and get a kid with a new wife who might be better for you and loving and caring.

The divorce is not yet in plans. I told my wife - I want to see - who you are. Please, make me feel safe that is make usufructs for the houses and my registration on the property. Then we decide on living together and continue her treatments to conceive a child. I do not want to have a divorce if you would be honest and kind to me. I gave time till November. She reacted as any woman would, IMO. She is not sure I will stay with her if a child will not come. My promises to be just are not counted.

I will survive anyway but kicking me off will result in a serious damage as I have a lot of instruments and tools, an apiary, chemicals for my research and other equipment. Relocation would be not easy. Not to mention that I have invested savings of my life in her and it is yet 4 years till my retirement. So, I have to find job in this case. May be outside of Thailand.

If things will get wrong, a condition of a remarriage can be pregnancy of a fiancee. Would any woman agree on such a condition? I am in doubts. In past I was thinking on to provide money for investments to my present wife only after seeing her pregnant but it was not coming for long and she got so sad that I made it in advance to keep her happy. Happy wife - happy life, I told to myself. I was such a fool. But let us see what she will do. In fact, everything is in her hands. I just wait.

Edited by Oleg57
  • Like 1

On 6/26/2017 at 4:23 PM, Oleg57 said:

The divorce is not yet in plans.  I just wait.

I make an update of my situation if anybody is interested. OK. My wife came to her senses and we will go through intensive therapy for her to conceive a baby. Inheritance issues will be resolved in this case as properties can be on the baby's name. It is actually what I want myself. Situation seems to be resolved.

• Like 1

On 16-3-2017 at 1:19 AM, ubonjoe said:

Getting a multiple entry non-o visa is -at least in the Netherlands- now only possible on grounds of marriage, or having children legally residing in Thailand. The over 50 retired visa is now only available as a single entry non-o visa, after which one can apply for an extension of stay (provided you have the 800.000 in the Thai bank or equivalent pension).

Just my two cents!

• Like 1

On 7/3/2017 at 3:55 PM, Tanoshi said:

How old are you and how old is your wife?

Have either of you had children before?

I am 60, My wife is 38. I have a son from my first marriage 35 y. old.

My wife was married 7 years to a Thai man  - without kids, after a divorce the guy remarried and got a kid with another woman.

We tried 5 years ago some treatments and checks. It is easy to check a man and I am absolutely fine for my age. Doctors cannot see any problem in my wife too but we tried artificially to conceive a baby 3 times and it did not work then. Next  week we will try to start all over again.

I have to say that a problem is somehow deeper - in my wife's childhood. Her father died when she was 5 or 6 and left them without any money. Her mother was beating hell from her and her brother. Scars, a broken nose and horrible memories are a prove. Also, I have seen bruises on a body of the brother's son in age of about one year old when he asked his mother to take care of him. She did not beat the baby openly in my presence but the origins of the bruises and his fear of the grandmother were obvious. Soon the baby was taken back and the brother's wife arranged him to stay with her mother. Till now the son lives over there. It is a nice and smart boy.

My fault that I did not interfere. Such persons like my wife's mother should spend all life in a jail or in a mental custody. Yet, my wife tries to demonstrate that she is a good daughter. Sure at expense of our own family as she has not any own money. We actually tried to put her mother into a medical custody but after a month she have returned back. For keeping her permanently there should be a better reason.

Well, what I am trying to tell is that a woman with so stressful childhood may not develop a physiological ability to love, to have kids and own family. Because her feminine organs may not develop accordingly in her childhood and youth. Somehow unconsciously she  destroys own family in an attempt to show other people that she is an opposite to her mother - a good and caring daughter despite all horrors of her childhood and present. Sure, her other relatives push her in this direction to strip me from all funds and to shear trophies. They do not pay shit on future of my wife. And it is not just words. I told my wife it and confirmed by observations the intentions of her relatives.

My wife is a beautiful woman and indeed I love her and always tried my best to keep her happy. I put all my savings and all my care in her and yet it dis not work.

So, guys, whatever feelings of pity and selfless desire to save a person we may have it is probably a mistake to choose as a wife a girls from a not complete family without a good reputation. Or at least, take a girl to your home country and keep her away from any influence of her relatives. And do not invest any money apart of the mother's milk to Thailand. It is not safe. Whatever the wife may try to get from you - give her only money that you are ready to sacrifice. I did not follow this wisdom myself because in my situation there was no opportunity to take my girlfriend to Germany and to stay for long together to decide on marriage. German embassy would never issue a visa to a young and beautiful woman. I tried and failed two times. Even after marriage it was not easy. One rejection and a long waiting for a visa afterwards. In a year we got again problems with a visa for her and I have decided to leave Germany for Thailand. Well, she is not a Muslim refugee from Africa or Syria after all. Thai girls are not welcome to Germany. I am myself Ukrainian by origin. Anybody may imagine what are my rights in Germany. None.

I pray for luck and success in conceiving a baby. With kids of her own my wife may stay focused on own family. Cheers.

Edited by Oleg57