Work Permit, For Bank Account?

I n preperation, to apply for a retirement visa, I tried to open a bank account at 3 different Thai banks. At each bank, I was told that, I must have a work permit, to open an account!

OK, I'm not in Kansas any longer, but it was my understanding, that I would need money in a Thai bank, in order to get a retirement visa. Am I missing something?

Ray

Try bank number four. Also point out the non immigrant visa you have (if you have one). It may also help to mention the amount of deposit you intend to make.

Now if you were in corn country you could have obtained a long stay (retirement) visa from a Royal Thai Consulate with the money in your US bank and no account in Thailand.

I n preperation, to apply for a retirement visa, I tried to open a bank account at 3 different Thai banks. At each bank, I was told that, I must have a work permit, to open an account!

OK, I'm not in Kansas any longer, but it was my understanding, that I would need money in a Thai bank, in order to get a retirement visa. Am I missing something?

Ray

Yep, it's one of those Thai catch 22s. I had the same problem and it's no fun. I waltzed into SCB on Soi 11 3 years ago with a few hundred K in my pocket and they told me exactly what they told you, that I needed working papers to open the acct. What a pain in my ass. Of course you will have 35 people here tell you that they opened accts. It just don't make no sense to me. You need cash in a thai acct to get a visa but you cant open thai acct! Nice one or what?

Oh I am certain that what Lop said to you is doing you a load of good after the fact. Coulda woulda shoulda done it when you were in Kansas. Good luck pal, you'll figure it out I hope. Me, I just do 30 day visa runs until doomsday

Ray

Go to Bangkok Bank on Silom, the main office. Unless its changed very recently, you should be ok there

Ray

The Bangkok Bank everytime. I opened and account in Chiang Mai this September with 10,000 baht NO work permit and a 60 day tourist visa, all i needed was my thai girlfriend to guarantee who i am. If no girlfriend then any Thai national can do this for you.

All I know for sure is that I have two Thai bank accounts and that I have a retirement visa. I never had a work permit to open them. Things may have changed to a degree because a friend of mine needed to open an account for his first retirement visa. He needed some kind of letter from the immigration office. He took that letter to the bank and they immediately opened an account for him. Ask your local immigration office what you need and I'm sure they will fix you up.

Ray, if you don't find a cooperative bank soon, and if you are in Bangkok, I know that the main office of Siam Commercial Bank (SCB) near Chatuchak will open a regular savings account for you.

I read somewhere here on ThaiVisa.com that there is a common communications failure between falang asking to open a savings account and the front-line bank staff, and I'll be darned if I recall exactly what the barrier is any more: something like the bank staff think you want a current/checking account or a high-interest bearing account, when in fact what you are expecting (and will get) is a low-interest bearing account. Maybe someone can clarify or elaborate on that again, please?

If you happen to be in Pattaya, I'd be delighted to introduce you to the bank manager at the Jomtien Soi 5 SCB branch who is MOST cooperative and friendly.

Easy to open bank acct. at Bkk Bank, Pratamnak branch, Pattaya. Not so easy if you want internet banking. however. For that I was told you need at least a business visa. This makes the visa card useless abroad as you can't check your balance.

Easy to open bank acct. at Bkk Bank, Pratamnak branch, Pattaya. Not so easy if you want internet banking. however. For that I was told you need at least a business visa. This makes the visa card useless abroad as you can't check your balance.

All it takes is an automated phone call to check your balance. You can also do many functions of the limited Internet banking service using the phone system.

bangkok bank at sukhumvit & soi ~10-12 (or so... that side anyways)... second floor will be happy to open an account for falang.

i was just on 30 day in/out stamp, so they told me i needed to go to my embassy so they could sign the form verifying my identity. for a work/retirement visa i am sure the nice lady said they could open the account ASAP with no embassy verification required.

Edited by chokdeekrap

I just wanted to add that at neither SCB's main office in Bangkok nor at their Jomtien branch office did I need anything but a photocopy of my passport (which they made) on a 30-day visa-waiver stamp.

I also have SCB's online banking service as well as an ATM card that I can use overseas, although I understand SCB's online banking service pales in comparison to Bangkok Bank's online banking.

[added for clarity: I now have a retirement extension on a Non-Immigrant O visa, but at the time I opened my bank accounts I was still on the 30-day visa-waiver stamp.]

Edited by wpcoe

I was at Kasikorn BANK in Bkk a few weeks ago. I got a account in 10 minutes! Visa electron card, Passbook. Internet bank. I also have a Webcard. To do online shopping safe and securley.

I got a Double entry Tourist Visa. NO Work Permit....

easy and quick

Bye bye

Martin266 :o

I just wanted to add that at neither SCB's main office in Bangkok nor at their Jomtien branch office did I need anything but a photocopy of my passport (which they made) on a 30-day visa-waiver stamp.

I also have SCB's online banking service as well as an ATM card that I can use overseas, although I understand SCB's online banking service pales in comparison to Bangkok Bank's online banking.

[added for clarity: I now have a retirement extension on a Non-Immigrant O visa, but at the time I opened my bank accounts I was still on the 30-day visa-waiver stamp.]

Same experience with me.

I find the SCB internet banking very simple to use but without mant options.

It is however easy to check balances and to kake simple local payments once the accounts are set-up.

BKK Bank did not want to give me internat banking without a work permit, I changed to SCB as I am on a retirement extension now (not when I opened it)

Try several banks. Pointers; dress neatly, smile and talk politely to the bank rep and you will get it. I have a non-O visa (no work permit since not working in THA) and I can open an account wherever I want to (I hope). Now, I already have three (all BBL). :o

Edited by thai_narak

scb in chiang mai opened an account for me on a non immg o visa (2 days ago) - produced my passport and 500 baht for the initial credit and 200 baht for the atm card fee - just 2 forms to sign.

tmb 6 months ago opened an account also on just my passport+visa, but some 15 forms to sign.

Ray

It is not just necessary if the bank is SCB or KBANK or ANOTHERNAMEBANK. The branch matters too, if the branch deals with a lot of foreigners then they would be more knowledgeable about the procedures. I had tried to apply to open an account at KBANK MBK branch which is quite small. They said it would not be possible unless I have a work permit. I have a Non-O visa. When I contacted the Siam Square Branch, they whole process was over in like maybe 45 minutes. So approach a branch that has a lot of transactions with foreigners or foreign banks.

Edited by scn

Just opened Visa Electron account at Bank Ayudhya Sankamphaeng on 22/12/06 for the same reasons. Especially being able to confirm transfers from Australia in "real time"

No problems with name as Rxx Jzz Ozz and Mrs Cnn Ozz . Only needed to show passports. When you sign in online put in numbers on Visa Card and PIN they give you for ATM access.

Next page brings up personal profile fill in the details. Then for me came the drama "error report" Thai Name Invalid. Two days later woke up to the trick, you name at the top of the profile page is displayed twice in 'english' but the top line is for Thai Names in Thai script, delete this click confirm and "all systems are go - lift off you are in and you can the call up you statement etc same as for any western bank.

Site is very well layed out in "english" only complaint is no "billpay" as we have in Oz, they have a list of companies, merchants they do business with in terms of "online payments" and TOT is not there so cant pay phone bill.

Ray

You miss nothing,it's the rule of Bank of Thailand,foreigner who like to open a bankaccount needs a workpermit,anyway in Pattaya it should be possible to open an account very easy!!!!