Hi,

I'm 40 years old, Danish national, married 10 years to Thai, have a 6 year old kid.

We were married in Europe but have only had the "cerremony" in Thailand i.e. the marriage is not registered here.

I am registered in Thailand as the father of the child.

I am currently in Thailand on a non-o (non-immigrant type "o") visa.  I don't have a work permit, nor do I think I need one, as I essentially just manage my money from home via telephone and Internet and do not produce anything in Thailand, nor have any business with Thailand.

Question 1: I have been told that I can register legally here as a "consultant" for a small fee, which allows me to work as an advisor/non productive person here and as such close any legal questions regarding my current situation.

Question 2: I have been told that with 200,000 baht in a Thai bank (in my name) I can now apply for a one-year "family visa".  I tried searching for that but nothing substantial came up.  

Can anyone confirm/deny/elaborate on this?

TIA!

You can apply for a one year extension, "supporting child".

Read more here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/278.0.html

You have the correct initial visa already, otherwise you would need a Non-Immigrant "O" visa from the Thai Embassy in Copenhagen or other Thai post abroad initally.

Your question 1: Not true. You are NOT permitted to do any consultancy/work/whatever without a work permit and an emplyment by a Thai company.

Question 2: Yes, and that's the 200,000 Baht in the bank that you secure your one year extension with.

My best advise is to register the marriage in Thailand as well, everything will be so much easier then (married to a Thai citizen and having a child).

Cheers!

Hi George,

Thank you for your reply!

It says in the link you refer to that "If an alien is the supporter, he must submit financial evidence, proof of employment, work permit and tax receipts.".  

Should I enterpret that "and" as an "or", i.e. is the 200K in the bank enough or do they still require the rest?

PS.  it seems that the text on that link repeats itself after point 8... maybe someone could fix that...

If you are 'retired' you don't need a work permit etc.  They may want to see source of funds coming from outside Thailand in the amount of 200k per year.  The visa itself is the same thing as supporting a Thai wife, except in your case it is a Thai child.  As George says you should also register marriage here (believe you just translate your marriage certificate and file that) and you/wife/child all have the same surname.

As for the first question about consultant would check how this was being offered closely.  Perhaps it is just someone selling job titles which might be a gray area rather than accepted legal process.