Xaos

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 3/28/2017 at 0:00 AM, MJP said:

Kawasaki Z900. Well regarded.399,000 Baht. 125ps. Best bang for the buck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Z900 looks good, but I'd say the MT09 with traction control, rider modes, quickshifter etc. is probably a higher spec for the same price. Slightly less power than the Z900 on paper, but back to back comparisons suggest it feels punchier in real life conditions. It's 17kg lighter as well. 

The MT09 is also made in Japan, as opposed to the Z900 which is made in Thailand. 

34 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Z900 looks good, but I'd say the MT09 with traction control, rider modes, quickshifter etc. is probably a higher spec for the same price. Slightly less power than the Z900 on paper, but back to back comparisons suggest it feels punchier in real life conditions. It's 17kg lighter as well. 

The MT09 is also made in Japan, as opposed to the Z900 which is made in Thailand. 

When I enter the VIN of a Kawasaki Z900 I have seen into a VIN-Decoder from one of the many websites, I get as manufacturing location: Kawasaki Heavy Industry Ltd, 1-1 Kawasaki Cho., 673 Akashi City, Japan. If I enter a VIN number from a Z650 I get the address Pluak Daeng, Rayong, Thailand...

So maybe the Kawasaki Z900 is not made in Thailand..., I honestly cannot tell for sure

Edited by Richard-BKK

8 minutes ago, Richard-BKK said:

When I enter the VIN of a Kawasaki Z900 I have seen into a VIN-Decoder from one of the many websites, I get as manufacturing location: Kawasaki Heavy Industry Ltd, 1-1 Kawasaki Cho., 673 Akashi City, Japan. If I enter a VIN number from a Z650 I get the address Pluak Daeng, Rayong, Thailand...

So maybe the Kawasaki Z900 is not made in Thailand..., I honestly cannot tell for sure

That's strange, if you google "Z900 Made in Thailand", virtually every result suggests that it is. 

Just one example here...

http://m.dailyhunt.in/news/india/english/deccan+chronicle-epaper-deccanch/kawasaki+to+launch+z900+in+india+on+march+25-newsid-65461678

states "It was unveiled at the Intermot motorcycle show in Germany last year and will be imported in the country as CBU from Thailand"

Of course sometimes these websites just copy each others information but it's weird that they all state the same thing. All the first videos on Youtube were Thai as well (short test rides, walkarounds etc.) and they cropped up weeks before any non Thai videos - that is far from conclusive but led me to believe it was in fact made here. I could be wrong though.

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Yeah, and there are also still plenty of riders left inc me who don't want all that extra electronic rider aids and ride by wire stuff. More stuff to go wrong, and also why the pre 2016 Speed Triple was such a sales success. Keep It Simple has a lot of virtues...

Lets assume that the Kawasaki Z900 is manufactured in Thailand, the story you read about that the Z900 will be imported as CBU (Complete Built Unit) from Thailand is also strange.

While India and Thailand have a free trade agreement, it doesn’t include motorcycles, that means that it will be charged with the full import duty – India has for imported vehicles similar high import taxes as Thailand – so probably not the best option.

Other motorcycles we know Bajaj Auto (Kawasaki India) is importing from Thailand are imported as CKD (Completely Knocked Down) this turns them for India customs into imported automotive parts, which are covered in the free trade agreement with India and Thailand… Making nearly import duty free…..

12 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Yeah, and there are also still plenty of riders left inc me who don't want all that extra electronic rider aids and ride by wire stuff. More stuff to go wrong, and also why the pre 2016 Speed Triple was such a sales success. Keep It Simple has a lot of virtues...

It's possible it could need repairing at some point. Also possible it could save my life. I almost lost the rear end on my old GSXR accelerating too hard to overtake a truck in the rain. I was able to save it that time without traction control, but who knows what would have happened if I hadn't. I was doing about 120 kph and it was in the middle of nowhere. Personally I embrace the new technology, not only can things like traction control save your life, but quickshifters are awesome fun.

7 minutes ago, Richard-BKK said:

Lets assume that the Kawasaki Z900 is manufactured in Thailand, the story you read about that the Z900 will be imported as CBU (Complete Built Unit) from Thailand is also strange.

While India and Thailand have a free trade agreement, it doesn’t include motorcycles, that means that it will be charged with the full import duty – India has for imported vehicles similar high import taxes as Thailand – so probably not the best option.

Other motorcycles we know Bajaj Auto (Kawasaki India) is importing from Thailand are imported as CKD (Completely Knocked Down) this turns them for India customs into imported automotive parts, which are covered in the free trade agreement with India and Thailand… Making nearly import duty free…..

Hmmm, you might be getting sidetracked there. Fact is, nearly every post indicated it was made in Thailand.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=z900+made+in+thailand

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Hmmm, you might be getting sidetracked there. Fact is, nearly every post indicated it was made in Thailand.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=z900+made+in+thailand

We not get sidetracked at all, it’s possible that the Kawasaki Z900 will be imported as CBU (complete build units) from Thailand if the motorcycle is build in Japan. India and Japan have a free trade agreement that includes motorcycles. It will reduce shipping cost, as they can combine the container shipment with Kawasaki’s models made in Thailand.

India is a large country with a huge population but they’re just started with the idea of big bikes and units sold from one model are often countable on two hands...

I would be inclined to throw caution to the wind and go for the 2017 New Brough Superior SS100.

Like Ducati and Moto Guzzi the heart of the beast is an 88 deg V Twin , but of bespoke build .

There is a waiting list ,of course, and prices start around 2 million 1 hundred thousand baht ,before application of import duty .

Not only Thailand offers the ride of a lifetime ........

I would be inclined to throw caution to the wind and go for the 2017 New Brough Superior SS100.
Like Ducati and Moto Guzzi the heart of the beast is an 88 deg V Twin , but of bespoke build .
There is a waiting list ,of course, and prices start around 2 million 1 hundred thousand baht ,before application of import duty .

My friend has the first (only?) new Moto Guzzi Bobber in Thailand. He's very happy with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Hannuman said:

We're complaining about dealer service for middle class priced bikes and you suggest a several times more expensive bikes that's gonna start with ordering and paperwork issues already and no dealer support whatsoever. You can't be serious. Should have posted that 3 days ago :)

Don't have the Ducati fall over as the scratches and nicks could total it out. 

I owned an insurance adjustment company for 25 years and  I was always amazed how easy it was to total out high end, expensive, motorcycles that fell over; especially with gas tank, chrome, damage and after getting a high bid on the salvage value. 

I was always concerned about hidden damage that could cause a subsequent, fatal injury.   It was always better to spend a little extra time receiving good salvage bids and making an effort to total it out for peace of mind. 

Wow great article did I ever hear a lot about bikes. You guys really made me feel bad sitting here tossing around whether to buy a new TV for 20,000. With all that horsepower your talking about don't forget to top up your hospital fund just in case. Its not you that I am worried about its the bad reputation here on Thai roads. Go with God

Another option would be to own a moped to get around and rent a big bike when you want to go for a good ride.  You'll save yourself all the costs, headaches and hassles of ownership.  And you can rent just about whatever bike you want and have the enjoyment of a different bike each time, if you want.  It couldn't get any better than that.  I've rented R1's and CBR1000s for a day.  Take them out on the highway and wheelie till your heart is content and get it out of your system.  Drop it off after you are finished and you're a free man with all the capital still in your pocket.

Those who accumulate possessions accumulate trouble, as the saying goes.  It generally applies to condos and women too.  :)

Edited by EvenSteven

Aprilia Tuono every day over a Ducati. I have both and use the Tuono 90% of the time. 
Brilliant bike for power and handling. 

PS.....don't know if there is a Thai dealer

Don't think so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

Aprilia Tuono every day over a Ducati. I have both and use the Tuono 90% of the time. 

Brilliant bike for power and handling. 

PS.....don't know if there is a Thai dealer

Here we go with another pissing match:  my grandmother can beat up your grandmother.

Edited by EvenSteven

A good friend of the missus husband has a Ducati Diavel. He's based in Bangkok but because he brought the bike from another mate.....who imported it from Italy, the local Ducati agent won't even look at it let alone touch it.

All these stories of poor service relationships cannot be doing the brand any good.

10 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

Comparisons are done every day for every single product. 

Indeed, they are, and rightly so.  But aren't you tired of hearing from arm chair pros on every single issue, regardless of how complex it may be?  Thanks for you contribution, whatever it's worth.  But I'll get my information on motorcycles from widely available publications from highly qualified professionals, not from no-nothings rambling on the internet often times cheer leading a product.

Edited by EvenSteven

On 04/04/2017 at 9:34 AM, Richard-BKK said:

Pity they don't bring in Enfields,CKD.The Thai price is outragious compared to the Indian price.If it was near Indian price i would buy 2,one to ride and one for parts,they are that cheap.I met a Thai bloke in Kashmir who stores his RE500 in Kolkata and rides it all over India,what a daredevil.

29 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

Buying a BM will just be jumping out of the pan into the fire,pricewise.Get a Jap bike.

BMW bikes are getting to be a more reasonable choice. Good dealers are now to be found - these come to mind -

TART Motorrad BMW Service Station
Tha Sai, Mueang Nonthaburi District, Nonthaburi 11000
Phone: 095 597 4917
GPS: 13.869743, 100.510430

Motorrad Cave / Tart Motorrad, Lampang:

18.204384, 99.3896012
Contact Jay directly at 093-2952495

Long time Beemer riders recommended

Edited by canthai55