New 100 Baht barber shop

Guderian

On 24/04/2017 at 0:30 AM, Henryford said:

Go to Rhompo market, about 7 barbers all in a row charging 100 baht.

Classic Thai cartel commerce. 7 different people all charging the same price and all doing a bad job and all spending most of the day doing nothing.

I tried this place, assuming it is the one about 50 yards from the corner of Buakow and Klang. Yes, it's aircon. Yes, it's 100B. Yes, the barbers are ladies (on the day I went). Yes, they do the usual bad "dabbing" job with electric shears. I maintain that it is impossible to cut hair properly without using scissors and am still looking for somewhere that does.

You don't have to go far for that, Hair Well inside Central Festival , ask for Noi, she knows how to use a scissor and she cut the hair of farangs every day. Not the cheapest but sometimes you have to pay extra for the best in their profession.

3 hours ago, balo said:

Not the cheapest but sometimes you have to pay extra for the best in their profession.

I'm not looking for the best: just someone moderately competent at their announced profession.

Given that other skilled people earn about 500B per day here it does not seem reasonable to pay more than 100B for a haircut that takes just 20 minutes. But that isnt really the issue. The issue is the general lack of competence.

On 4/27/2017 at 7:15 AM, wenzman said:

oi cut my hair for nearly one year ... the problem with her is ... she is mentaly a little bit unstable

That's a first one.

She cut my hair for 2 years. And not mentally unstable at all .  She knows my hair and always do a perfect job. What a strange thing to say. 

On 4/26/2017 at 8:58 PM, KittenKong said:

I'm not looking for the best: just someone moderately competent at their announced profession.

Given that other skilled people earn about 500B per day here it does not seem reasonable to pay more than 100B for a haircut that takes just 20 minutes. But that isnt really the issue. The issue is the general lack of competence.

Careful mate. Some on here, including in this very discussion, come down on you like rocks when it comes to lady drinks and how much to pay prostitutes. Is it reasonable to pay 120-400 Baht for idle chit chat with an under educated prostitute in a stupid bar? Of course not. As for lack of competence, this again applies as, well let's not get off topic. I agree with you, even 100. Baht is a bit excessive considering all factors, for a haircut in Thailand. God Bless You and OO.

In Pattaya I used to get my haircuts at one of the barber shops on Buakhao near AC. First it was 80b then 100b. Always gave 20b tip.

A month ago I had a haircut on Sukhumvit 22 in BKK.

Inside it had a panel list of the different services they offer.

In Thai except last entry. I read Thai.

First entry was Adult 150b. Last entry, in English, said Haircut 200b

Of course I paid the "farang" 200b price without arguing about the "farang" mark up. Amusing though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2017 at 2:35 PM, Guderian said:

This is the only 100 Baht gent's barber shop I've come across that has air conditioning, at that price you're usually expected to sweat.

There's a new place opened up on Klang, just up from Buakhaow and on the opposite side.

Airconditioned and 100 Baht a cut, includes ear and nose hair trimmings and neck shave.

Called Marco's

• 1 month later...
On 3/20/2017 at 7:37 PM, topazann said:

Prices are good .Is it just barbershop or they do haircuts and coloring of hair , braiding like this http://newaylook.com/best-ideas-for-box-braids/  for ladies also?  I coudnt found braiding in Pattaya :sad:

I like this is  place https://www.facebook.com/VintageBarberShopPattaya/ in Pattaya on Pratumnak Soi 4 called the Vintage Barber Shop. They also have have Thai  massages,styling, shampoo, colour, manicure, pedicure.

mqdefault.jpg

After reading this I thought that I'd give it a go.

The barber took a while but was careful & had both hot & cold towels for my face & head.

I hadn't checked the price list (I know, I know) beforehand but had the 100baht figure in my head as that was the number thrown around on here & how much I pay in usual spot but was asked for 400.

The girl was complaining to to only other customer that we were the only people that they'd served all day & it approaching 5ish.

Anyway the shock must have given some of my roots a bit of a shock as well because either it had regrown in various spots because by the time that I had got home parts of my head were as rough as a badgers backside

I had a shower & shaved myself being a little bit wiser & a tad poorer 

Edited by SidJames

I finally got around to trying to the original place on Theprasit that started this thread way back when.

It's gone.

So I went to Rhompo instead and the lady in the last shop in the group made a passable attempt at cutting my hair with scissors for 100B. I think I will just try all the ones in that group over the next 6 months. There are also a couple more barbershops further up the same road.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

I finally got around to trying to the original place on Theprasit that started this thread way back when.

It's gone.

So I went to Rhompo instead and the lady in the last shop in the group made a passable attempt at cutting my hair with scissors for 100B. I think I will just try all the ones in that group over the next 6 months. There are also a couple more barbershops further up the same road.

I've been using those salons by the bar beers for several years. Two of them are OK, but the others are more hit and miss. The trouble is that being open-air they get very hot in the summer, which is why I originally posted about the new place on Thepprasit. The haircut there wasn't great (so probably no surprise it's closed) but at least I wasn't sweating at the end of it as you do in April/May at the open-air places. There's one A/C place in that row of salons on Soi Rompho, but I think they charge more than the 100 Baht standard in the other places. I've no idea what the quality of the haircut is like in that one.

The only thing that worries me about a 60 baht haircut, or a haircut anywhere in Thailand, I've never seen the hair trimmers get sterilized, not once. Back home everything gets sprayed with barbicide constantly. The lack of hygiene does worry me; a lot of nasty diseases can be shared with dirty hair clippers.

Very good point JohnJay.

Often the same with the electric noses clippers etc.. I never see them being cleaned between punters.

Are there any turkish/indian style barbers that singe off your nasal & ear hair about town?

Best shaves that I ever had were in rural India, I think it's because the indigenous populace of both sexes there are quite hirsute