Work permit for multiple provinces?

Hi all.

A guy I know wants to move over here and start a construction company but I read somewhere that you can't have a multi province WP? Is that true?

Surely for someone that travels around on business their has to be a way to work all over Thailand?

Any ideas

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, irlguy1 said:

A guy I know wants to move over here and start a construction company but I read somewhere that you can't have a multi province WP? Is that true?

It is possible to get a work permit that allows the holder to work at any location in the country. The job description must state that is required.

He could start a construction company but it would have to have 51% Thai ownership to make it legal. 

• Like 1

As far as I know, a work permit is based on your job and the THAI company you work for, and is not restricted to one area of Thailand.

So, based on that, I suppose that if you are a representative of XYZ company that travels in your job as a representative of XYZ company around the country of Thailand you would be a legal worker.

But this is Thailand and logic does not necessarily apply here.

Construction is a "prohibited" occupation for foriegners and reserved for Thai only.

I said he wanted to open a construction company I didn't say he wanted to build with them.

He will have a thai crew and a thai supervisor he just owns the company for the work permit and will consult. His girlfriend will be the 51% owner

It is possible to get a work permit that allows the holder to work at any location in the country. The job description must state that is required.
He could start a construction company but it would have to have 51% Thai ownership to make it legal. 

He was told by a "visa/WP" agent that it's not possible [emoji17]

Any suggestions on an agent that might know the process and sort it for him?
He wants to register a company, get a visa and a WP.
Cheers

38 minutes ago, irlguy1 said:

He was told by a "visa/WP" agent that it's not possible emoji17.png

Any suggestions on an agent that might know the process and sort it for him?
He wants to register a company, get a visa and a WP.
Cheers

In general WP/VISA agents are not the best way to go.

Most of them don't even know the difference between the types of visas and the fact that you can hold a WP on a Non-Immigrant Visa whether it is a B or an O.

Once your friend has formed the company the Labour Office is the best place to find out how to get a WP. Some agents don't know the difference between the 'LO' and Imm' and will charge a lot of money for something you can get done on your own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, irlguy1 said:

He will have a thai crew and a thai supervisor he just owns the company for the work permit and will consult

He will not qualify for a work permit as the an owner.

He will need to be employed by the company and come up with an occupation that satisfies the local labour office.

• Like 1

He will not qualify for a work permit as the an owner.

He will need to be employed by the company and come up with an occupation that satisfies the local labour office.

Any suggestions [emoji4]

11 minutes ago, irlguy1 said:

Any suggestions emoji4.png

Most foreigners, in this situation, get employed as a Director or General Manager. 

However, he may find it hard to get a work permit that allows him anywhere near construction sites.

• Like 1

He should look into vietnam. non of this protectionism bs thailand has. he can be the sole owner of his company and work anywhere in the country. when u go to vietnam u see foreigners working at all levels in the work force. he will feel much more welcome there

8 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Construction is a "prohibited" occupation for foriegners and reserved for Thai only.

you sure about that? I know of a few whities running construction jobs in thailand, fairly common in fact. Lemme guess, in spite being in possession of a WP,  they are doing it illegaly? 

1 hour ago, keep it real said:

you sure about that? I know of a few whities running construction jobs in thailand, fairly common in fact. Lemme guess, in spite being in possession of a WP,  they are doing it illegaly? 

Strange I know but they can depending on their title on the WP.

At one point I had a WP that said Assistant Managing Director but I sure as hell wasn't.

??

Strange I know but they can depending on their title on the WP.
At one point I had a WP that said Assistant Managing Director but I sure as hell wasn't.
[emoji38][emoji38]

So did you do everything yourself?
What were you "managing director" of
[emoji4]

17 minutes ago, irlguy1 said:

So did you do everything yourself?
What were you "managing director" of
emoji4.png

I was working for a large construction company going to various sites trying to fix what problems came up and reporting back to the office in BKK. The Co had many Thai workers so numbers for Thai/foreign workers for WP's wasn't a problem.

• Like 1