Changing a Cha note after buying a house.

Have a friend in Hua Hin was renting a house from his next door neighbour he then bought the house but left the Cha note in their name for almost two years, I advised him to get a usafruct As he is married to a Thai lady. The neighbour is now telling him (who he bought the house from ) to change the title at the land office will cost him between seventy five thousand and a hundred thousand baht. Is this true..

i bought a new house and the title deeds were included in the cost of the house , i.e., I paid nothing for the chanote , only my lawyer  eight grand for the usafruct.

not sure if his wife is conning him or the neighbour, we live in korat  he works in  Malaya so don't see him often.. and really we only met his wife from using the same schools for the kids..

appreciate any reply.

There is a transfer tax payable to the land office whenever a property changes hands. If the Transfer tax hasnt been payed then the sale hasnt been completed. The transfer tax is often split 50/50, or can be payed by either the buyer or seller. Most likely the seller paid in your case.

I guess your friend is a foreigner, so he cannot own a house !

I think the transfer tax is 2% of the value of the property as assessed by the land office, not the sale value.

When my wife bought land last April, there was some negotiation between the seller (who was going to pay the tax) and the official as to a "fair" price to put on the transfer document.

Archived