Rock and roll legend Chuck Berry dies

rooster59

Rock and roll legend Chuck Berry dies

_91970785_berry1_reuters.jpg

Rock and roll legend Chuck Berry has died aged 90, police in the US state of Missouri report.

The singer was found unresponsive at lunchtime on Saturday, St Charles County police said.

Berry's seven-decade career boasted a string of hits, including classics Roll Over Beethoven and Johnny B. Goode.

He received a lifetime achievement Grammy in 1984 and was among the first inductees to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39318602

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2017-03-19

6 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Not forgetting "My-ding-a-ling' !

A class act though.

R.I.P.

I think what really pushed that record to #1 in the UK was opposition to Bible Bashing Mary...

Edited by Basil B

Very cool path-blazing musician, but had some character flaws.  Example:  Keith Richards was in a room by himself backstage at a concert (The Stones were sharing the bill with Berry).  Keith saw Chuck's guitar laying in an open guitar case.   Keith bent over to touch it.  At that same moment, Chuck came in the door, saw Keith touching the neck of his guitar, and slapped Keith hard in the face, "Don't you ever touch Maybeline M... F.....!"

In his later years, Chuck got caught peeking at women going pee and poo in a bathroom.  Chuck had designed the women's bathroom at his mansion with a secret narrow corridor alongside - for that purpose.

Edited by boomerangutang

Les Paul invented the solid-body electric guitar, but he played it like a guitar was traditionally played.

It was Chuck Berry who first played it like a completely new instrument with a completely new sound, the rest is history.

There was a movie about him in the 1980s called "Hail Hail Rock n Roll."  A few years ago I saw a short documentary about the making of that movie, it might be one of those extras they stick on DVDs.  If you are at all interested in Chuck you have to see this, the stuff he was pulling on the producers off-camera was un-bee-effin-leevable.  The director alludes to the experience in this article:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/hail-hail-rock-n-roll-director-remembers-chuck-berry-w472748

11 hours ago, Ripvanwinkle said:

I really enjoy dancing to Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode".

17.01.24 John & Au dancing cut.mp4

I went to an outdoor evening concert in Orlando FL before it was Disney.  Johnny Winter showed up, jumped on stage, and played Johnny B. Goode for a 35 minutes with his white hair flailing (he had white everything else: leather, guitar, skin....)  It was one of the most intense and exciting blues show I've ever seen, and I've seen hundreds (and performed at several dozen).