Travel by car through North-Laos. Tips and photos.

Yisheng

Wow!  Fantastic photo story.. many thanks for sharing the great photos and comments.. I've visited Laos before but plan another visit soon. I will refer back to your post..    This is the sort of story I would like to see more of on TV..  Many thanks for sharing your adventure!

Some wonderful posting and beautiful photographs

I have yet to venture into Laos with my car,  I have owned three Toyota vigos but now have Honda HRV, ( Getting old and better for the wife) that has lower profile tyres, with these tyres can this trip be done with care and sensible speeds, maybe take a full sized spare but off the rim, the cars spare is one of those skinny ones

The photos and narrative inspire me greatly, thank you for your efforts in sharing all this

Excellent post/thread/topic.

Well done to the OP.

Have done VTE, VV, LP myself, it is truly stunning once you get past VV.

I personally think the best way to explore Laos is by motorcycle, something light, good suspension, aka a 250 dual sport bike like the Honda CRF250L et al.

4 hours ago, chrissables said:

Is this taken from the new bridge?

Thanks for the reference! :)

Yes the bridge is finished. Also the road between Vang Vieng and Vientiane is good now. 

"Were you only allowed 2 weeks for the car visa? It's frustrating wanting to go there for a month long ride and being given two weeks. There must be a way around that."

The Thai car passport is valid for one year. The Laos immigration gave me 30 days in my passport. The 2 weeks resulted by the insurance of the car. I did not intend to stay longer but could buy an insurance for 30 days.

Police checked us about 5 times, always very friendly. I had a Thai driver’s license.

Without your posts I would not have made that journey. Thank you again.

Thanks everybody for the positive comments!

21 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

I personally think the best way to explore Laos is by motorcycle, something light, good suspension, aka a 250 dual sport bike like the Honda CRF250L et al.

I agree. But my own suspension is not adequate any more ;-)

27 minutes ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

Any chance you can provide me with the details of the dermatologist you visited.

Yes, this is why I mentioned it. Prices in Pattaya are extortionate. The clinic is next to Lotus. Dr. Suganyaa, nice Lady.  For 1 spot she chares 500 THB, 2 Spots 700. 3rd spot free :-)  Phone: 042 413 377

Just now, Yisheng said:

Yes, this is why I mentioned it. Prices in Pattaya are extortionate. The clinic is next to Lotus. Dr. Suganyaa, nice Lady.  For 1 spot she chares 500 THB, 2 Spots 700. 3rd spot free :-)  Phone: 042 413 377

Is that the big Lotus on the main road down to Udon Thani.  And is it on the North or South side.

Just now, Yisheng said:

Yes.  I was charged 4,000 baht at Bangkok international.

3 minutes ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

Is that the big Lotus on the main road down to Udon Thani.  And is it on the North or South side.

They told me there is only 1 Lotus in Nong Khai. My GPS guided me there. I think you need a native speaker when you call them.

9 hours ago, Yisheng said:

Yes the bridge is finished. Also the road between Vang Vieng and Vientiane is good now. 

"Were you only allowed 2 weeks for the car visa? It's frustrating wanting to go there for a month long ride and being given two weeks. There must be a way around that."

The Thai car passport is valid for one year. The Laos immigration gave me 30 days in my passport. The 2 weeks resulted by the insurance of the car. I did not intend to stay longer but could buy an insurance for 30 days.

Police checked us about 5 times, always very friendly. I had a Thai driver’s license.

Without your posts I would not have made that journey. Thank you again.

Thanks everybody for the positive comments!

The two times i crossed into Laos, they would only allow the bike two weeks, even with me explaining i needed longer. Insurance was not the issue. Quite strange really.

3 hours ago, Spaniel said:

Nice pics and story.    Thanks for posting.      Any problem driving on the "wrong side" of the road?

No, never. 1 hour in Pattaya is so much more dangerous than 1 week in Laos.

I want to add some pictures. In the market of Luang Prabang these "fruits" caught my attention. They were collected in the woods, the hard skin peeled off and offered as food. I bought 2 for 8 THB and after ´2 weeks a new life was born. The picture shows the opening were they crawled out.

101Markt01_(640_x_480)-vert.jpg

IMG_20170323_101733_(800_x_600)-vert.jpg

DSCF2286_(800_x_600).jpg

Edited by Yisheng

28 minutes ago, Thai-Aust said:

From your experiences, do you think it's safe for a woman to travel to Luang Phrabang and Vientiane?

Or maybe with a couple of female friends or should be accompanied by at least 1 male?

Luang Prabang for sure is ok and when i was in Phonsavan (plain of jars) i met single ladies travelling. I would suggest you take normal precautions travel by reputable companies. 

5 hours ago, Thai-Aust said:

From your experiences, do you think it's safe for a woman to travel to Luang Phrabang and Vientiane?

Or maybe with a couple of female friends or should be accompanied by at least 1 male?

My wife and I were just in Luang Prabang last week for four days.      Very safe for women traveling alone or in a group.       Vientianne, probably the same there too, although it has been many years since I was last there.

Luang Prabang  March 2017 013.JPG

Luang Prabang  March 2017 022.JPG

Luang Prabang  March 2017 094.JPG

Luang Prabang  March 2017 103.JPG

Luang Prabang  March 2017 133.JPG

Luang Prabang  March 2017 151.JPG