Can my Thai wife show her second passport to board flight to Spain?

I'm planning on taking my Thai wife to vacation in Europe for 2 weeks at the end of April.

She doesn't have a Shengen visa, but last year, I did the citizenship by investment programs in Antigua & Barbuda and in Grenada, granting her 2 additional passports as "spouse of principal applicant" - so she has now 3 passports, and may now travel to Canada / Europe / China at will without needing a visa anymore.

I know that Thai immigration is not particularly keen on Thais having 2 nationalities, let alone 3.  I found several threads on Thaivisa with people contradicting each other regarding this.

We plan on showing her Antiguan passport to the airline check-in staff to be allowed boarding, then using her Thai passport to exit the country, using Antiguan passport to enter & exit Spain, and Thai passport to re-enter Thailand. Therefore, she will only show her Thai passport to Thai immigration staff.

Is this likely to cause any issues at all?

Edited by SiamBeast
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Crossy said:

That's the way to do it.

Rule one of multiple nationality is never, ever, ever show more than one passport to an official, it causes their brains to go into meltdown.

Check-in may ask how she's in the country (no stamps in the second passport) so you could then show them the Thai passport, but that's the only time both should be exposed to the air together.

I have never had an airline ask my wife how she is in the country when showing her second passport. 

Show own the airline the passport you need for the destination (so on the flight back show her Thai passport).  Only show the immigration officer the passport needed for that country (Thai for Thailand entering and exiting, the other passport for the rest).

it is the airline that checks if you are going to be allowed into a country at check in. The IOs only care that the name on the boarding pass matches. 

My wife is a dual Thai-US citizen...has Thai and U.S. passports.  

When she is exiting and entering Thailand she only shows Thai immigration her  Thai passport.  When entering and exiting the U.S. she only show U.S. immigration her U.S. passport.   Immigration in both countries are happy and satisfied.

However, when checking in with the airline in Thailand to go to the U.S. the airline must ensure she is authorized to enter the U.S.  There she shows both the Thai and US passports when asked by airline check-in so she can complete check-in/satisfy the airline she'll be able to enter the U.S. since she had no U.S. visa in her Thai passport..  Upon completing check-in with the airline she then tucks away the U.S. passport when going to Thai immigration where she only shows her Thai passport.  Done it this way for years....on many trips.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 2

Agree with the above posts my wife holds Thai/ Australian citizenships and passports

Uses Thai passport to leave and enter Thailand and Australian elsewhere unless visiting ASEAN country 

Never had a problem in recent years

On 3/20/2017 at 2:27 PM, SiamBeast said:

I'm planning on taking my Thai wife to vacation in Europe for 2 weeks at the end of April.

She doesn't have a Shengen visa, but last year, I did the citizenship by investment programs in Antigua & Barbuda and in Grenada, granting her 2 additional passports as "spouse of principal applicant" - so she has now 3 passports, and may now travel to Canada / Europe / China at will without needing a visa anymore.

I know that Thai immigration is not particularly keen on Thais having 2 nationalities, let alone 3.  I found several threads on Thaivisa with people contradicting each other regarding this.

We plan on showing her Antiguan passport to the airline check-in staff to be allowed boarding, then using her Thai passport to exit the country, using Antiguan passport to enter & exit Spain, and Thai passport to re-enter Thailand. Therefore, she will only show her Thai passport to Thai immigration staff.

Is this likely to cause any issues at all?

Can you kindly let me know by message what getting the citizenships mentioned by you involves. I would be very interested in getting it for my Thai wife. It could make traveling easier. Many thanks indeed.

• 3 weeks later...