help to diagnose a problem ......

speedtripler

I recently applied for the true 100/30MB fibre package 

installed today and its very good over lan cable with slightly  more than the rated speeds (131/31)

the problem is the crappy chinese router they want me to use is incapable of getting over

30-50MB no matter how close you are to it and what mobile  device you are using 

i have tested a galaxy note 5 ,s7 edge ,a tablet and a modern  asus laptop ,the technician says 

mobile devices cant get more than 50MB but i know thats nonsense because i have gotten 220MB and my phone is capable of 300 or 450MB according to Samsung website.... 

at my office over wifi on the same phone he says cant go over 50MB and even 180MB+ at mcDonalds in MBK

a few days ago  :saai:

also port forwarding doesnt seem to be working on this router either,is there anyway to get them to exchange it 

for a decent one or get your own etc to utilise the full speed of the connection around the condo without hardwiring everything ?

the router in question is a "HUMAX HG100RE-02v " if that helps diagnose the problem .....

obviously i have called them and they say they will escalate the problem but i wont get my hopes up as i dont feel this is a technical problem that can be solved via

any configuration they can do on their end .........

any thoughts ?

Try changing the channel that the wifi is on, its probably set to the default ch 11, and if you live in a condo so is everyone else. If I have my router set on a busy channel the speed drops to 5 mb, on a free channel its back up to 20mb, my package speed. You can get a wifi analizer app for your phone that shows the free channels.

Actually, this worked but only increased  the speeds from 24-30MB up to 50MB on the lesser Used 5GHZ Band

The true tech who installed it says you "can't" get over 50MB on a mobile device without being plugged in by ethernet cable but I KNOW from experience on other routers this is complete and utter nonsense...... 

6 minutes ago, speedtripler said:

Actually, this worked but only increased  the speeds from 24-30MB up to 50MB on the lesser Used 5GHZ Band

The true tech who installed it says you "can't" get over 50MB on a mobile device without being plugged in by ethernet cable but I KNOW from experience on other routers this is complete and utter nonsense...... 

Dependant on the device and what wifi standard it is capable of, old phones and tablets using a,b or g can only do 54mb, see table below

tbl-standard.jpg

2 minutes ago, speedtripler said:

Samsung Note 5 and S7 edge are not low end /old phones and as previously mentioned, they can get much higher speeds on other WiFi connections and other WiFi routers... 

Yes they should be able to, Is the router capable of doing N, or needs to have N turned on ? Some routers have G set as the default to ensure backwards connectivity.

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes they should be able to, Is the router capable of doing N, or needs to have N turned on ? Some routers have G set as the default to ensure backwards connectivity.

there is no options in the entire settings to switch to wireless N,G or any other previous standards  so i dont think its that 

there is also a very weak signal ,it barely reaches bedrooms from living room etc 

and the port forwarding is blocked as far as i can tell at isp level so no matter what you do on the router settings ,thiose ports willl not be reachable from outside 

UNTIL  you get permission from true to use some port i learned from a thai forum https://pantip.com/topic/34507198

some people suggested ask them to exchange the Humax for   their  CIsco modem which is apparently more configurable so i will try this tomorow .....

Msybe found a solution to this conundrum.... A friend suggested to take the ethernet cable out of the pc and plug it into a  3rd party router (which I would have to purchase) 

And that should blast the Internet out without a 50MB restriction on mobile devices.... 

Would this work? 

If so, how much would I need to spend too get a router that's strong enough signal to cover the whole condo and should it be dual band with 5.0 or would  single 2.4 be able to cope with  it? 

On 3/20/2017 at 7:59 PM, Peterw42 said:

Dependant on the device and what wifi standard it is capable of, old phones and tablets using a,b or g can only do 54mb, see table below

tbl-standard.jpg

i  think this is indeed the culprit although in reverse 

All the mobile devices are hi-end  but i suspect the cheap router only supports 802.11A . B and G

I have asked them to exchange the router with an 802.11N  compatible model and they are sending a technician out to try and 

"fix" this one ,i told them thats just a waste of time but they said thats the procedure before they can  request to exchange a router

whatever 

will update thread  with the outcome  in case it helps someone else in future 

thanks folks!

6 hours ago, speedtripler said:

i  think this is indeed the culprit although in reverse 

All the mobile devices are hi-end  but i suspect the cheap router only supports 802.11A . B and G

I have asked them to exchange the router with an 802.11N  compatible model and they are sending a technician out to try and 

"fix" this one ,i told them thats just a waste of time but they said thats the procedure before they can  request to exchange a router

whatever 

will update thread  with the outcome  in case it helps someone else in future 

thanks folks!

It appears that the true modem does N, but there are some settings to enable it

http://www3.truecorp.co.th/assets/files/files/Humax_HG100RE_Wireless_E.pdf

truen.JPG

Archived