Unable to locate DVD/CD Rom on Lenovo.

giddyup

Yesterday the icon for the internal DVD/CD Rom in my Lenovo Idea Centre just disappeared and I can't operate it by installing a disc either. I also have an external LG disc drive that the computer will not now recognise as it can't find the driver. I have run several full virus scans but they all show my computer as being clean. What's going on?

27 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Are we supposed to guess all of the details/model numbers etc?

I already said it's a Lenovo Idea Centre (all in one) but the model is a #C20-00. That help?

it sounds like you have no drivers, are any usb's working. what operating system

go to ' device manager' look if there are any yellow x's against any of the items. ( go to start, type in device manager and then click on the device manager link)

edit replaced should for sound's

Edited by steve187

27 minutes ago, steve187 said:

it sounds like you have no drivers, are any usb's working. what operating system

go to ' device manager' look if there are any yellow x's against any of the items. ( go to start, type in device manager and then click on the device manager link)

edit replaced should for sound's

OS Win 10. USB ports are working and recognise flash drives and external hard drive. DVD/CD Rom shows up in device manager (no yellow X's) but says driver is corrupted or missing. As I bought the Lenovo already loaded with Win 10 no disks were supplied for drivers etc.

Edited by giddyup

11 minutes ago, giddyup said:

OS Win 10. USB ports are working and recognise flash drives and external hard drive. DVD/CD Rom shows up in device manager (no yellow X's) but says driver is corrupted or missing. As I bought the Lenovo already loaded with Win 10 no disks were supplied for drivers etc.

The Lenovo site should have all the drivers for your particular model. Try updating the driver software + the BIOS if necessary.

http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/lk/en/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/lenovo-c-series-all-in-ones/c20-00?linkTrack=GPS%3ABody_Search%2BProducts&tabName=

22 minutes ago, ravip said:

The Lenovo site should have all the drivers for your particular model. Try updating the driver software + the BIOS if necessary.

http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/lk/en/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/lenovo-c-series-all-in-ones/c20-00?linkTrack=GPS%3ABody_Search%2BProducts&tabName=

Thanks, but I've sent off an email to Lenovo explaining the problem. As the computer is still under warranty maybe they'll fix it.

Think I may have fixed the problem, required a system restore and reboot. Downside is that I have to start from scratch again as everything was wiped. I did create a backup though.

On 23/03/2017 at 5:21 AM, giddyup said:

Just as I thought, no intention of helping,.

Do you imagine that I am on call to the forum twenty fours a day?? What are you thinking??

A System Restore doesn't wipe anything. Factory Restore perhaps.

Built to perform and designed to impress, the Ideacentre family offers a wide range of products, from super slim all-in-ones to powerful tower desktops, and pocket-sized PC's.

So one can hardly be expected to know which machine is in question.

You could also have run a Reset keeping all of your data intact. Hey ho.

https://www.onmsft.com/news/windows-10-reset-refresh-windows-10-installation-better-performance

Try to improve the attitude eh?

1 hour ago, JamJar said:

Do you imagine that I am on call to the forum twenty fours a day?? What are you thinking??

A System Restore doesn't wipe anything. Factory Restore perhaps.

Built to perform and designed to impress, the Ideacentre family offers a wide range of products, from super slim all-in-ones to powerful tower desktops, and pocket-sized PC's.

So one can hardly be expected to know which machine is in question.

You could also have run a Reset keeping all of your data intact. Hey ho.

https://www.onmsft.com/news/windows-10-reset-refresh-windows-10-installation-better-performance

Try to improve the attitude eh?

Talking of attitude, have a look at your initial post. If I have any future questions, please feel free to ignore.

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

Talking of attitude, have a look at your initial post. If I have any future questions, please feel free to ignore.

I most certainly will. I'll put you on ignore now, lest I forget. Good luck with your future problems.

1 hour ago, JaseTheBass said:

Just delete the corrupted driver and Windows will automatically reinstall it. Takes no time all.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

I'll keep that in mind for the future, because tech at Lenovo told me to do a system recovery which meant that I lost everything on my computer and had to start from scratch again.

15 hours ago, giddyup said:

Lenovo told me to do a system recovery

I'm sure that Lenovo told you to  do a system restore, using the built in restore points, and then  you would not have lost any data

System Restore is a feature in Microsoft Windows that allows the user to revert their computer's state (includingsystem files, installed applications, Windows Registry, and system settings) to that of a previous point in time, which can be used to recover from system malfunctions or other problems.

1 minute ago, Langsuan Man said:

I'm sure that Lenovo told you to  do a system restore, using the built in restore points, and then  you would not have lost any data

No. This is what they asked me to do.....

"We would require you to perform a system recovery for your machine and test again. Please backup your machine data before recovery.

You may follow the step below :

***WARNING***
You're responsible to backup all your important data before performing system recovery. This will reset your machine back to factory setting. Any data or application you've installed will be remove.

One Key Recovery (F2)
1) Please power off your machine and connect power source.
2) Once you power on your unit, please immediately keep tapping F2 key on your keyboard.
3) Select and Enter "System Recovery" or "One key recovery"
4) Please select "Restore from initial backup" in steps 1.
5) Agree to all T&C and start the recovery process.
6) After completed, please monitor and test your connection again."

On 25/03/2017 at 3:58 PM, JaseTheBass said:

Just delete the corrupted driver and Windows will automatically reinstall it. Takes no time all.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

I asked Lenovo why I couldn't do this instead of a system recovery, this is their response:

"Unfortunately, there's no Optical Disk driver available for your machine. Hence, please consider to perform a system recovery for your machine".

I asked Lenovo why I couldn't do this instead of a system recovery, this is their response:

"Unfortunately, there's no Optical Disk driver available for your machine. Hence, please consider to perform a system recovery for your machine".

If that was true then it would never work regardless of what was done.

12 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

If that was true then it would never work regardless of what was done.

I can only go by what they tell me. The advice they gave originally re a system recovery worked, although I had to download all the programs I had again. If I'd deleted the DVD drive maybe I wouldn't have been able to get it back, I don't know.

I can only go by what they tell me. The advice they gave originally re a system recovery worked, although I had to download all the programs I had again. If I'd deleted the DVD drive maybe I wouldn't have been able to get it back, I don't know.

Windows is pretty good with drivers nowadays and would have it running in no time at all.

The main thing is that you have it working now.

I was thinking about my PC and that optical drives seem to be a bit obsolete. My home PC doesn’t even have one and I've never needed one.

1 minute ago, JaseTheBass said:

Windows is pretty good with drivers nowadays and would have it running in no time at all.

The main thing is that you have it working now.

I was thinking about my PC and that optical drives seem to be a bit obsolete. My home PC doesn’t even have one and I've never needed one.

I like to burn music to disc to play in the car. I have a USB port but prefer to play discs.