Aussie who accidentally killed girlfriend in Phuket jet-ski tragedy learns fate in Thai court

webfact

Phuket court hands suspended sentence to Aussie tourist Keating for jet-ski death

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1490248541_1-org.jpg

Thomas Keating exits Phuket Provincial Court this morning. Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: -- Thomas Keating, the Australian tourist charged with the death of his girlfriend in a jet-ski collision off Phuket last month, has been handed down as two-year suspended jail sentence and fined B5,000 for reckless driving causing death.

The sentence, handed down at Phuket Provincial Court this morning, brings to an end formal proceedings for a death that the victim’s family – and today the judge – have publicly recognised as a “terrible accident” and a “tragedy”.

Mr Keating today, accompanied by family members, his lawyer and Craig Ferguson, the Australian Consul-General for Phuket, stood silent in court with a stern face.

He and those accompanying him declined to comment to reporters on entering and leaving the court.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-court-hands-suspended-sentence-to-aussie-tourist-keating-for-jet-ski-death-61505.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-03-23

An ounce of common sense at last. And a face saving verdict in to the bargain.

Charging him, for what was a tragic accident, was not smart, but no good would have come from anything other than allowing him to go home.

Absolutely despicable that this even went to court. The jet ski mafia get away with ripping off people for years while renting the things out to all and sundry.

This poor chap needs a counsellor after all he has been through, not getting put before a judge. All the while the red bull w@n*er does as he wants and jenphop still hasn't gone to trial despite killing 2 with video evidence to prove it.

Disgusting as per.

7 minutes ago, z42 said:

Absolutely despicable that this even went to court.

It really isnt "despicable" at all 

He caused another persons death , just because he liked her, that doesnt make him immune to the law .

But , an agreeable solution was reached by the Thai law

Thai law needs to be praised in this instance .

Jet skis and other cases are completely irrelevant to this case .

Vitriolic posts , constant derogatory remarks make TV a depressing place to be

Why not offer some praise for once ?

35 minutes ago, z42 said:

Absolutely despicable that this even went to court. The jet ski mafia get away with ripping off people for years while renting the things out to all and sundry.

This poor chap needs a counsellor after all he has been through, not getting put before a judge. All the while the red bull w@n*er does as he wants and jenphop still hasn't gone to trial despite killing 2 with video evidence to prove it.

Disgusting as per.

but but but Jenhop made merrit.. he changed now 

Hmmm- for all the chest beating above what would he have got for 'reckless driving causing death' in Australia?

A damn sight more than a paltry fine and a suspended sentence methinks.

PS- this has nothing to do with HiSo activity in Bangkok so why bring it up?

This may be the first sensible decision I can remember from a Thai court. He was negligent, he admitted it, it was an accident, he was found guilty and the sentence suspended.

Or they could have avoided all the chest beating and just accepted it was an unfortunate accident.

19 minutes ago, Reigntax said:

This may be the first sensible decision I can remember from a Thai court. He was negligent, he admitted it, it was an accident, he was found guilty and the sentence suspended.

Or they could have avoided all the chest beating and just accepted it was an unfortunate accident.

exactly

I wonder how many "other offers" were made to drop the case completely

Farang is guilty of death in an accident? But Thais can kill anyone they want, drag a cop down the road in a ferrari, throw people off balconies, beat handicapped bread sellers to death. What a F'd up place. 1 years and I still get surprised by the lack of justice here.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

He and those accompanying him declined to comment to reporters on entering and leaving the court.

I understand that they did not comment. The judge's decision might have been fair - but forcing him to stay in Thailand by not accelerating the procedure was despicable.

It cost him a lot of money and his freedom to leave - an additional and inappropriate punishment

The Thai judicial system is scary

Edited by sweatalot

4 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

I understand that they did not comment. The judge's decision might have been fair - but forcing him to stay in Thailand by not accelerating the procedure was despicable.

It cost him a lot of money and his freedom to leave - an additional and inappropriate punishment

The procedure was accelerated.

2 hours ago, z42 said:

Disgusting as per.

I am not so sure I agree. Someone died due to his actions and I presume dangerous behaviour. Had it been an innocent bystander (or  swimmer) everyone would be baying for blood. It is tragic that it was his new wife, but a court case was necessary. At least an inquiry.

17 minutes ago, stevenl said:
22 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

The accident was on Feb 5, finalised in about 6weeks. Fairly quick for a serious case. His initial court date was to be several months away.

1 hour ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

Farang is guilty of death in an accident? But Thais can kill anyone they want, drag a cop down the road in a ferrari, throw people off balconies, beat handicapped bread sellers to death. What a F'd up place. 1 years and I still get surprised by the lack of justice here.

By the end of year 2 you will be over the hump. Roll with things you cannot change. You might hit the wall by year 7. If your really lucky you will expire here. Tis my intention. 

Sorry, Z42,,,, your comments are way off the mark this time.

Nothing to do with the "jet ski mafia in this instance"

Maybe a tragic accident but must have been driving dangerously & being charged is what would happen just about anywhere.

The courts in their wisdom  (this time) had enough savvy to make the correct decisions, on a manslaughter charge

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

An ounce of common sense at last. And a face saving verdict in to the bargain.

Charging him, for what was a tragic accident, was not smart, but no good would have come from anything other than allowing him to go home.

But you don't know how much he had to bribe...

Not sure what he would have got in Oz but more than this.

Killing someone unlicensed.

Do you need a licence to drive a jet ski then?

I've never thought about it before

I would never get on a jet ski here anyway. But if I did and I rode of and lost control of it and killed someone. Would that be my fault or the people who rented it to me or both. Assuming I wasn't drunk if they haven't given me proper safety instructions who's thought is it. What's the law in other countries?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, z42 said:

Disgusting as per.

You are right in almost everything, except "Absolutely despicable that this even went to court", In our western country's this would go to court to.

3 hours ago, Reigntax said:

But you have to go to court to prove that and have a record of it.You can't just make these decisions up on the spot.

19 minutes ago, BsBs said:

But you don't know how much he had to bribe...

The bribe will amount to nothing compared to what he and he's family spend by staying until the end of this case, and he is allowed to go home !!!

Edited by off road pat

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

even if accelerated - it took too long. Steeling him lifetime. Could have been much faster. I will not go into why it had to go to court at all. The accident seemed easy to understand - just a small fine or a warning would have fulfilled the purpose

Edited by sweatalot