Penang Multi Non-O Marriage - Report

Arrived early, just after 9:30, taxi down from Hat Yai. The visa office has switched location since I was here last year, there's now a nice new little building in the garden. Sign in at the 'gatehouse' and follow the concrete path to the visa office. You'll need to get a 'number' from one of the windows, just head to the window don't worry about the queue they're just waiting to submit their applications. They'll give you an application form and a chit with a number, I'd already completed a downloaded form so just filled in the chit with my details; this, once stamped, is your receipt for collecting your passport.

I submitted passport and the usual paperwork:

• Completed application form
  • 2x passport size photos
  • Copy of marriage certificate (signed by wife and myself)
  • Copy of my passport ID page (signed by me)
  • Copy of wife's ID card, front + back (signed by wife)
  • Copy of tabian bahn (signed by wife)
  • Copy of Thai bank book showing Bht350k
  • Copy of latest Singapore bank statement (as I was under the 400k)
  • Letter from the wife asking they grant me a new visa

There was only one person in the Non-O queue (there were only 3 in the Tourist Visa queue), so service was quick. Documents were reviewed he only glanced at my original marriage certificate, didn't look at the original bank book. Asked why I was applying for a new visa rather than getting an extension, I explained work took me out of Thailand regularly so was easier this way. He asked if I did any work in Thailand, to which the response was no, paid my money RM750 he stamped the chit and said come back tomorrow.

Returned this afternoon at 2pm, quite a few people but only two in the queue, so pick up was quick, multi non-O no problems. There were some squiggles under comments but it just says Thai wife and then my wife's name in brackets.

Off to KL tomorrow for the weekend and fly back to Hat Yai next week, all good for another 15 months.

• Thanks 1