Phuket tour company, guide to face legal action over coral walking, guide legality

snoop1130

Phuket tour company, guide to face legal action over coral walking, guide legality

Eakkapop Thongtub

1490267485_1-org.jpg

PHUKET:-- The Department of Marine Coastal Resources (DMCR) are to move forward with pressing charges against a tour guide who was caught on camera along with two Korean tourists walking on coral reefs at Koh Racha Yai on Tuesday (Mar 21).

They have also confirmed that the tour guide and his employers are to face legal action after it was discovered the guide was conducting tours without the necessary permit.

The issue came to light after photos of the Thai guide, who is employed by Phuket-based Dragon Dive, purportedly showing him and two Korean tourists walking on coral reefs during a “Try Dive” at Koh Racha Yai were posted on the Facebook page of another tour guide, Khanchit Klingklip.

Mr Khanchit posted the photos on his Facebook page along with the message; “It has been a while since officials have come to monitor the underwater activity here in Koh Racha.

“[Those pictured] were very careless about the marine environment. It does not set a good example for other tourists.

“When I approached the instructor and told him he should not do that, he simply denied any wrongdoing.”

At 2pm yesterday (Mar 22), the guide, Mr Nattha Srinim, 35, from Trang met with Director of the DMCR’s Conservation Division, Mr Suchart Rattanareangsri, at his office to explain his side of the story.

“I did not let tourists step on the corals we just got near the corals and stepped on the sand. We very close to the corals so it looked like we stepped on them, but I want officials to check the pictures again as this has caused me a big problem.

“If I do not have a job I will not have an income, and I cannot do any other job,” Mr Nattha said.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-tour-company-guide-to-face-legal-action-over-coral-walking-guide-legality-61510.php#DhizTDzEBgxg7igu.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-3-23

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“[Those pictured] were very careless about the marine environment. It does not set a good example for other tourists.

Especially not for the Russian lady who got fined 100.000 baht for feeding bread to the fish in the sea.