One way ticket entering in Thailand : Proof of exiting

Hi

Seems Thai immigration will accept a one way ticket (from my country to Thailand) if you show within 30 days you will leave. Being by plane, boat, bus, train...

But seems sometimes plane companies have harder rules, example, they WANT a PLANE ticket, not a bus, train ticket. They can even refuse to welcome you onboard.

Do you have any informations about this?

Thank you.

A database of immigration rules used by many airlines recommends that those flying into Thailand should have either a visa or (assuming they are from a country entitled to visa exempt entry) an onward flight out of Thailand within 30 days. It is important to appreciate that Thai immigration, on entry, will rarely ask about onward flights.

Airline check in will not always enforce these rules. Usually, if traveling long distances to Thailand (such as from the US or Europe) the airline staff will do so. As a practical matter, I have quite a number of times traveled to Thailand without a visa on onward flight booking.

If airline check in raise the issue, it is then a matter of pleading ones case with the airline supervisor. I start by stating quietly and confidently that I know Thai immigration rules well, and am quite sure there will be no problem in practice. You need to recognize the airline's problem. If you are denied entry, the airline is responsible for returning you to the point of departure. Worse, if they have not checked your right to enter under Thai immigration rules, they can be fined for the disruption caused. Given these considerations, the airline has two conflicting objectives: (i) try not to upset a paying customer, but (ii) avoid costing the airline money should you be denied entry. If the airline supervisor is still nervous about your lack of an onward flight, and you look affluent, you can often satisfy them by offering to sign an indemnity form (all airlines have them) that promises to reimburse the airline for any financial losses they suffer should you be denied entry.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, khman said:

But seems sometimes plane companies have harder rules, example

It depends in part on whether you have a visa or expect to get a visa exempt entry. If you travel to Thailand without a visa and, for some reason, are refused entry, the airline will be responsible for flying you out. If you have a return flight booked they won't get stuck paying for your return.

Obviously if you were refused entry at the airport, leaving the country by road or rail wouldn't be an option since you would be stuck in the airport.

Whether or not the airline enforces this policy of requiring an outward flight booking and whether or not their staff at the airport have a clue is hard to predict.

If you have a visa issued by an embassy or consulate, I doubt you'd have a problem. Since you mention 30 days, I assume you don't have a visa.

Edited by Suradit69

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

Worse, if they have not checked your right to enter under Thai immigration rules, they can be fined for the disruption caused. 

Can you refer to the Thai law which dictate a return ticket.
No law no fine.

34 minutes ago, mgb said:

No law no fine.

Actually, I cannot. However, the database referenced by airlines suggests such a rule exists. See, for instance, https://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/tim_website_client.cgi?FullText=1&COUNTRY=TH&SECTION=VI&SUBSECTION=00&user=KLMB2C&subuser=KLMB2C

Warning:
- Visitors who are visa exempt but do not hold return/onward
  tickets could be refused entry.

There are numerous other references that suggest the same thing. Whether true or not (and the agreement between the Thai authorities and the airlines might mandate such checks) the airlines clearly believe it is true. You would have a difficult task convincing them otherwise. That is what matters.

36 minutes ago, mgb said:

A ticket out of the country (a return ticket is not a requirement) within 30 days is a requirement in the ministerial order for visa exempt entries. 

The airlines are aware it is requirement. It is shown in the IATA's database that has the requirements for entry to Thailand without a visa.

Exactly this scenario occurred four years ago at Melbourne Tullamarine Airport. (Avoid it if you can - the rudeness begins before check in and continues through immigration and on to the gate). I had an onward ticket, but it was just outside the thirty day period. The check in clerk - an officious little harridan  - refused to accept me. After fifteen minutes of did/didn't can/can't ping pong, I asked to see the manager. He looked at my Thai Royal Orchid Plus card, my passport festooned with Thai stamps and immediately told the girl to process my booking. At the gate, BaiLao was summoned on the PA system. Miraculously and without explanation, I'd been upgraded to business class, where I was one of four passengers. So - it does happen and is not a recent development...

I had similar experience at tullamarine 3 years ago. I had 2 seperate tickets and was coming on visa exempt,  so i hsd to unpack my bag to retrieve the ticket. Then last week i thought i should mske sure so i rented an onward  ticket had 20k baht in my pocket etc etc. But at tulla all she did was ask if i had a visa when i replied affirmarive just let me straight through. Then at Don Muang just had to show the full address where i was staying. I had 4 previous back to back setv from penang.

9 hours ago, khman said:

Hi

Seems Thai immigration will accept a one way ticket (from my country to Thailand) if you show within 30 days you will leave. Being by plane, boat, bus, train...

But seems sometimes plane companies have harder rules, example, they WANT a PLANE ticket, not a bus, train ticket. They can even refuse to welcome you onboard.

Do you have any informations about this?

Thank you.

Budget airlines tend to do this.i have flown one way plenty of times but don't use budget airlines. 

MGB A very simplistic & unhelpful reply.

In fact immigration can & does sometimes charge the airline for costs incurred on the ground  (normally food & accommodation) in Thailand

for a passenger refused entry  where the airline has not checked entry requirements & is unable to

accommodate a return or onward flight

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A ticket out of the country (a return ticket is not a requirement) within 30 days is a requirement in the ministerial order for visa exempt entries. 

The airlines are aware it is requirement. It is shown in the IATA's database that has the requirements for entry to Thailand without a visa.

Is there a fine for airlines defined?
If not you can tell the airline you are flying on your own risk and pay a flight out of Thailand by yourself if necessary.
Some airlines have a declaration form for such cases.

Thanks,

I checked on Thai embassy website , any ticker , train, bus, boat , plane, is ok.

But I phoned the airline company, they might ask for a PLANE ticket. They would accept only this.

So I will have to book for nothing as I plan to stay after 30 days, after going to the immigration to extend for 30 days :(

It is much money for all my family, even a "cheap" airasia, 5000thb per person tax included is not nothing.