SURVEY: Separate prison facilities for Transgender inmates -- Good idea?

Scott

SURVEY: Separate prison facilities for transgender inmates -- Good or bad?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think that separate facilities should be provided, but the decision about using those facilities should be up to the inmates.   That includes the existing inmates, who might not be comfortable with a transgender person.  It's one more option and it might help with making sure they are able to re-integrate into society.   

The other factor that needs to be taken into account is the cost.   Prisons have limited funding and Thai prisons aren't exactly known for providing well for prisoners in the first place.   

58 minutes ago, bbbbooboo said:

hmm.....and there was I thinking prison isn't meant to be enjoyed......

I don't think it has to be enjoyed, but trying to make sure that people can be reintegrated into society should be a goal.   Accepting that their are different sexual identities is part of that.   

Most Thai prisons already separate the transgenders and flamboyantly gay into their own cells away from general population. It was certainly the case in Pattaya, Chonburi and Lad Yao. I saw it.

I would definitely encourage expansion of this space regards washing, toilet facilities and sleeping arrangements. This is not a favour for them based on gender, but for the smooth running of the prison system and inmates.

They can be as devious and troublesome on the inside as they are on the outside of prison walls. They tend to have better survival skills and are smarter as a rule than the majority in general population. They get bored and cause trouble and enjoy the associated chaos.

Even in the prison hospital areas where I visited they are separated into their own ' spaces ' if not necessarily cell areas as much as can be done in prison.

It is a nonsense that the figure is 1% of the population. This is done by authorities to deliberately mask the amount for face saving purposes.If it was so low, they wouldn't be talking about it and it would not be attracting attention.

It is much higher if you include all the different groups.  This is why it is laughable by some posters on here who watch too many US movies and make comments about criminals ' being somebody's bitch ' or ' He'll be getting seen to in prison ' meaning sexually harassed. They don't as a rule. Nor are they singled out because of their crimes. The Thais running the prisons, be they officers or inmates, are far more interested in running their money making scams than to be bothered with individual people. It has no stigma like it has in the West.

Those guys in homosexual relationships in Thai prisons are willing participants for various reasons but the main ones are to get money for drugs, telephones, food supplies, gambling etc Those that are very poor in prison such as the Cambodians and Laotians and to a degree, poor Thais with self respect , take on cleaning duties and washing clothing and cooking meals in the yard to earn their keep.

Edited by Scouse123
addition

13 hours ago, Credo said:

I think that separate facilities should be provided, but the decision about using those facilities should be up to the inmates.   That includes the existing inmates, who might not be comfortable with a transgender person.  It's one more option and it might help with making sure they are able to re-integrate into society.   

The other factor that needs to be taken into account is the cost.   Prisons have limited funding and Thai prisons aren't exactly known for providing well for prisoners in the first place.   

well said!!! and additional thanks for not denigrating katoey,

as so many on TVF regularly do 

12 hours ago, bbbbooboo said:

hmm.....and there was I thinking prison isn't meant to be enjoyed......

unless of course you are in a "civilized" western country, who supply telephones, TV, free medical, education, and all the trimmings and who are probably better off than a lot of the honest people scrapping together a living on the outside.

On the Arrival card you fill in coming to LoS you have to tick a box stating Male or Female.

On the Departure card side you have to still make the choice......in case you have physically or mentally changed your mind on your own gender whilst you have been there.....

Also  on nearly all the language guide books and also all the Schools I attended to learn Thai -they teach you how to say "Are you a man or a woman?".  Obviously because it is not obvious in

LoS

I have never seen that in any other language guide .......

In answer to the Poll.... I would have thought any criminal has lost his rights to make decisions as to what jail  he is going to do his time in.....and Thailand has much bigger problems than worrying about where some Chick with a dick / Bloke in a frock ends up after robbing someone on Pattaya Beach. 

They weren't too concerned with other people's rights, property and feelings when they were on the outside.  I'm not concerned about theirs.  I hear the prisons are grossly overcrowded so maybe new facilities aren't a bad idea, just not for trannies specifically.

No, they shouldn't.

However I believe in the humane treatment of all prisoners regardless of status / orientation / etc, .ie. the right to be protected from physical harm and harassment. This means that a new wing would be welcome, but the wing should accomodate all prisoners in order to reduce overcrowding. Yes, prisoners are here for a reason, but sleeping for years on a concrete floor isn't "humane". This means that we should focus on programs to prevent harassment and violence against all prisoners, ladyboys included.

People are free to make their own choices, i.e. "transgenders" have the right to pretend to be whatever they want: a man, a woman, a dog, a chair, a glass, etc. but we shouldn't specifically cater to those needs, especially not in prison. We have a system in place that follows basic human biology: and this remains a secret that hasn't been released to the public. I managed to get a hold of ultra-secret medical documents that were before this day hidden from the public and contain a big revelation that is about to change the world as we see it. I'll leak it right here. Are you ready? Here it is: "There are two genders".

14 hours ago, Artisi said:

unless of course you are in a "civilized" western country, who supply telephones, TV, free medical, education, and all the trimmings and who are probably better off than a lot of the honest people scrapping together a living on the outside.

You've obviously never served time. It is bearable at best and usually very unpleasant. They are not "better off" than people who are free. 

9 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

You've obviously never served time. It is bearable at best and usually very unpleasant. They are not "better off" than people who are free. 

Did you miss the sarcasm and the following " ... who are probably better off than a lot ...."