Govt going ahead with high-speed railway plan

rooster59

23 minutes ago, tbthailand said:

could we just go for dual-track first, please?  

They've just scrapped these projects and started again.  Original tenders have been cancelled and invitations for new tenders.  It was scrapped because of non-transparency.  No surprises there. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One difference..  MRT & BTS are not run by SRT, only  that stupid thing to the airport.

SRT have had 45 years to run a dual track train service to Pattaya  5 times a day & a decent freight service to

Lam Chabang to get 1000 trucks off the road .

What have they done,,,,,,,, NOTHING.

Forget about high speed trains just a good dual line to Korat for example that their people can afford.

SRT needs disbanding & start again

It's only a few weeks since they announced that the project to instal dual track throughout the country had been put on hold because of irregularities in the    bidding procedure. As usual the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

3 hours ago, chainarong said:

High speed trains isn't in the true context infrastructure, they only carry passengers, no freight,  you need fast freighters carrying 100T each wagon at 150.  

150 what, Km's? Never heard of that. Where?

6 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

They said this 3 years ago. High speed trains by 2020. Better get a move on then.

The government spokesman does look somewhat bored...........

You are right and unless I live to be 200 years old, I'll never see it.

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

Good for Thailand ....  good for thousands of jobs ....

The Junta is committed to the development of Thailand.

Thank you Khun Prayuth Chan-O-Cha   :jap:

Dream on, you will never see it unless you live to be 200 years old.

The boss is adamant that he will bankrupt Thailand with these high speed trains, that most

of the rural people will not be able to afford to ride in anyway

What really is needed is  good dual carriageway on what they have now but SRT has failed (as usual).

More interested in counting their rent money from places like Chatuchak, Sofitel & Central

than running trains

3 hours ago, whoareyou said:

Not at all. The BTS and MRT system is fantastic. Light years ahead of most first world countries

How can you say that?  In my city, Montreal, Canada, we have a great subway system that connects to city buses.

Edited by Gerard052

Very , very expensive, lots of foreign expertise and educated experts needed, considerable engineering, very high safety issues, just do not see this happening in this country for a very long time. , they have no normal railways anyway like many other countries. Thailand does not have a respected schooling system like it's competitors ...think Taiwan, South Korea , Japan. Thailand needs an education revolution before it spends billions on this I expect. 

Any improvement to the countries infrastructure would be a very good thing. No matter what the cost, this is something that is of vital importance to the country. Not sure how they will accomplish it, without major accidents, but they should try and accomplish this objective. It would improve the country dramatically, as the rail network has lagged so far behind, and the highway network is not being expanded, and is not keeping up with population growth. Just take a trip on Highway 4, anywhere between Hua Hin and Surat Thani, and you will see what I mean by the need for this railway. 

Not this old Turkey again....how many times will they roll this utter tosh out ?

If those costs mentioned above per Kilometer are true - after the brown envelope hand outs it would be cheaper sending Thais to the moon.

The HS tracks would have to be raised high above any roads........imagine the carnage of 200km + crash with mini van / school coach / dump truck / buffalo / elephant.....etc..... 

The chinks have already had one of them crash - due to poor concrete.....now where have I seen poor quality concrete before ..mmmmmm Oh yes - everywhere in LoS especially in Pattaya / Jomtien pavements.

20 minutes ago, lonewolf99 said:

Not this old Turkey again....how many times will they roll this utter tosh out ?

If those costs mentioned above per Kilometer are true - after the brown envelope hand outs it would be cheaper sending Thais to the moon.

The HS tracks would have to be raised high above any roads........imagine the carnage of 200km + crash with mini van / school coach / dump truck / buffalo / elephant.....etc..... 

The chinks have already had one of them crash - due to poor concrete.....now where have I seen poor quality concrete before ..mmmmmm Oh yes - everywhere in LoS especially in Pattaya / Jomtien pavements.

Did u not see my  post where roads are being built OVER this? ie  looks  like NO level crossings certainly near to me its  like this

5 hours ago, chainarong said:

Is it  high speed or standard gage speed , the mean average profit for High speed is not any longer than 3 hrs,  mind U only one H/S track in China has ever made a profit , all the rest are non profit or in some case lemons, you wouldn't get a H/S through Lao up into China then into Europe you'd get a standard Gage though, H/S track laying costs and rolling stock are about 20 million USD for every 1 Kilometer for China , 35 Million for Europe and 50 Million for US and OZ, on a Prayut transparency government to government agreement that's a lot of rice...................................................:coffee1:

At 20 million USD per kilometer that makes for some truly eye watering "investment opportunities."

That said, this sort of project requires sustained spending over a relatively long period of time.

I can't see the dosh being available....

Edited by JAG

2 hours ago, HHTel said:

High speed trains were always planned to be elevated.  They couldn't possibly work on ground level.

They couldn't possibly work on ground level." ............... Really?

I suggest you take a look at these photos of TGV and others. Apparently they work at ground level as well as being on elevated sections where necessary or convenient.

sncf.jpg.0139317d5b483a02e1aba8980acb915a.jpg

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=french+tgv&rlz=1C1GNAM_enTH684TH684&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjIhenQ2PPSAhUkT48KHT21AQkQ_AUIBigB&biw=1360&bih=638#imgrc=_QZ4JQSzXqPeMM:

2 hours ago, natway09 said:

One difference..  MRT & BTS are not run by SRT, only  that stupid thing to the airport.

SRT have had 45 years to run a dual track train service to Pattaya  5 times a day & a decent freight service to

Lam Chabang to get 1000 trucks off the road .

What have they done,,,,,,,, NOTHING.

Forget about high speed trains just a good dual line to Korat for example that their people can afford.

SRT needs disbanding & start again

Thailand doesn't have its own Dr.Bitching to trim the fat and boost efficiency.

5 hours ago, chainarong said:

Is it  high speed or standard gage speed , the mean average profit for High speed is not any longer than 3 hrs,  mind U only one H/S track in China has ever made a profit , all the rest are non profit or in some case lemons, you wouldn't get a H/S through Lao up into China then into Europe you'd get a standard Gage though, H/S track laying costs and rolling stock are about 20 million USD for every 1 Kilometer for China , 35 Million for Europe and 50 Million for US and OZ, on a Prayut transparency government to government agreement that's a lot of rice...................................................:coffee1:

You are confusing speed with track gauge. Two quite different subjects. Thailand's present country-wide rail system is based on metre gauge, a holdover from the last century and the century before that.

The U.K. has had fast trains for over 100 years, they have some HST (High Speed Trains) that connect the island (London) to Europe. All track in the U.K. is "standard gauge (4 '8 1/2")( 1.435m) and has been for over 150 years. There are of course exceptions to that where narrow gauge rail exists in certain parts of the UK

Just now, ratcatcher said:

For sentimental reasons I prefer the Corris twin. You?

The Corris twin - apart from anything else you can mend it with a hammer and a spanner set.

Passing observation on your post #58. There is nothing wrong with meter gauge railways if properly maintained and operated. Deep ballasted well laid out continuous welded track is good for speeds of up to 100km per hour. Powerful modern locomotives can haul heavy trains on such lines. The existing signalling system, based on absolute block working (only one train in any one section, no exceptions) is completely safe and with proper regulating capable of passing substantial amounts of traffic over the existing system.

There has been a lot of work done on the permanent way, on recent journeys I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the ride. Observation suggests that SRT is short of locomotives and rolling stock - yards depots and sidings seem to be stuffed full of broken stock. The existing system, with some investment, could be repaired and modernised to give the country a rail system which is capable of serving its needs well into the future.

4 hours ago, wvavin said:

A country that could not even covered fully with 4G and needs a high speed train. LOL..........

Immagine that it could be in the headlines in the future in Thailand " Two High Speed trains end on the same track,in Thailand ,colliding at a 400 mile per hour impact.". "The first four cars of each train seem to have merged into a molten mass."

Just now, sanukjim said:

Immagine that it could be in the headlines in the future in Thailand " Two High Speed trains end on the same track,in Thailand ,colliding at a 400 mile per hour impact.". "The first four cars of each train seem to have merged into a molten mass."

Just now, sanukjim said:

Later the engineer of the south bound train was found  drunk in his home and said that he let his assistant trainee engineer take the train today as he was il himself and the trainee had been on at least four runs and should have known the schedule ".Not my fault'Mi Pen Li"

58 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

You are confusing speed with track gauge. Two quite different subjects. Thailand's present country-wide rail system is based on metre gauge, a holdover from the last century and the century before that.

The U.K. has had fast trains for over 100 years, they have some HST (High Speed Trains) that connect the island (London) to Europe. All track in the U.K. is "standard gauge (4 '8 1/2")( 1.435m) and has been for over 150 years. There are of course exceptions to that where narrow gauge rail exists in certain parts of the UK

Yeah I know what gage Thailand is 3ft 6ins,  referred to as narrow gage , standard gage is 4ft 8 ins, I also know what they have in England , I also have worked on heavy haul Loco's, 200 in length.