Illogical thai immigration requirements

Illogical is when an IO struggles to take all the stapled pieces of paper out of your passport, so decides it's easier to cut 1/2 inch of the length of the passport to remove said paperwork and is oblivious as to the consequences of his actions.

It's compounded, when you then have to obtain a new passport and they try to fine you for submitting a late 90 day report.

TIT.

Edited by dentonian

30 minutes ago, dentonian said:

Illogical is when an IO struggles to take all the stapled pieces of paper out of your passport, so decides it's easier to cut 1/2 inch of the length of the passport to remove said paperwork and is oblivious as to the consequences of his actions.

It's compounded, when you then have to obtain a new passport and they try to fine you for submitting a late 90 day report.

TIT.

"All" the stapled pieces of paper? You mean both, the only paper stapled in your passport that would concern an IO is your 90 day report receipt and your TM6.

32 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

"All" the stapled pieces of paper? You mean both, the only paper stapled in your passport that would concern an IO is your 90 day report receipt and your TM6.

Last 90 day report receipt.

TM28 and TM30 receipts.

TM6 departure card.

Last Extension Receipt for 1,900 baht

Last re-entry permit receipt for 3,800 baht.

All (6) originally stapled in the passport by Immigration (and on the homepage).

Edited by dentonian

1 minute ago, dentonian said:

Those don't need to be in your passport.

I would think that the TM28 receipt could be taken out also since you have  aTM30 receipt.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

Another baseless rant. I read the other day that in the UK the spouse needs to earn GP 18 000 to support his/her non UK spouse, that equals B 800 k. The retirement visa/extension can also be for two people, husband and wife, which is B 400 k each which is equal to the visa/extension based on marriage.

Thing is with the U.K. Though that, once the spouse is in the country, it's an automatic 1 yr stay stamped in to the passport on arrival, after getting the necessary spouse visa of course, and then after the 1yr, it's a trip down to croydon immigration and a quick interview followed by a full 'leave to enter' (permanent stay) stamp  in the oassprt, then, 5 yrs later an application to naturalise and then become a U.K. Citizen. Here, still we have nothing like that and still need to keep applying year after year after year for the very same yearly extension based in marriage. I know which way I would rather go.

• Like 1

On 27/03/2017 at 0:04 PM, sitti said:

Well, whether you like it or not, this is their country, their rules. Same goes for Thai applying Visa entering your country. They have to deal with whatever immigration requirements your country set regardless of what they think of it.

For me to get my wife into the UK I need to have an income in excess of £18,600 per annum or 790,500 baht at the current forex rate of 42.5thb/1GBP.  £18,500 is not sufficient. So what is the difference between Thailand and the UK? My son being a dual citizen comes along for free.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dentonian said:

Last 90 day report receipt.

TM28 and TM30 receipts.

TM6 departure card.

All (6) originally stapled in the passport by Immigration (and on the homepage).

The only 2 pieces stapled in my passport (and removed by me at home before visiting Nakhon Sawan Immigration last July) were the last 90 day report and my TM6 departure card. When they finish I ask them NOT to staple them in as I will scan them into my PC when I get home and they are happy to do that.

I have never been asked for a TM 28 or a TM 30 though I bring them, nor do I carry the receipts.

The Immigration office that you use must not be as farang friendly as Nakhon Sawan.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Those don't need to be in your passport.

I would think that the TM28 receipt could be taken out also since you have  aTM30 receipt.

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The only 2 pieces stapled in my passport (and removed by me at home before visiting Nakhon Sawan Immigration last July) were the last 90 day report and my TM6 departure card. When they finish I ask them NOT to staple them in as I will scan them into my PC when I get home and they are happy to do that.

I have never been asked for a TM 28 or a TM 30 though I bring them, nor do I carry the receipts.

The Immigration office that you use must not be as farang friendly as Nakhon Sawan.

This wasn't my passport.

I help some of the more senile, mobility impaired local expats by preparing their documents and accompanying them to do their extensions and I do their 90 day reports on their behalf.

Although I tell them that only the TM30 receipt, next 90 day report slip and their TM6 need to be in their passports, some are very set in their ways and like to keep any and all receipts from Immigration stapled in their passports until the following year.

Some are real cantankerous old buggers, it isn't worth arguing over.

Still doesn't excuse Immigration destroying a passport.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dentonian said:

This wasn't my passport.

I help some of the more senile, mobility impaired local expats by preparing their documents and accompanying them to do their extensions and I do their 90 day reports on their behalf.

Although I tell them that only the TM30 receipt, next 90 day report slip and their TM6 need to be in their passports, some are very set in their ways and like to keep any and all receipts from Immigration stapled in their passports until the following year.

Some are real cantankerous old buggers, it isn't worth arguing over.

Still doesn't excuse Immigration destroying a passport.

The last line is correct but that still doesn't stop the passport owners taking the staples out of the documents themselves.

I am 72 and I can manage that bit easily even though I wear glasses.

I do all my extensions. 90 day reports myself without my wife coming along with me to NS which is 130km each way. Khampaeng Phet is the new place for me and that is only 65 km each way.

3 hours ago, Falcon said:

Thing is with the U.K. Though that, once the spouse is in the country, it's an automatic 1 yr stay stamped in to the passport on arrival, after getting the necessary spouse visa of course, and then after the 1yr, it's a trip down to croydon immigration and a quick interview followed by a full 'leave to enter' (permanent stay) stamp  in the oassprt, then, 5 yrs later an application to naturalise and then become a U.K. Citizen. Here, still we have nothing like that and still need to keep applying year after year after year for the very same yearly extension based in marriage. I know which way I would rather go.

Wow! Where have you been recently.

The 2 year route to ILR hasn't existed since the rules changed 9 July 2012 .

It's now 5 years to get permanent residency, provided you meet the financial and language requirements.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The last line is correct but that still doesn't stop the passport owners taking the staples out of the documents themselves.

I am 72 and I can manage that bit easily even though I wear glasses.

I do all my extensions. 90 day reports myself without my wife coming along with me to NS which is 130km each way. Khampaeng Phet is the new place for me and that is only 65 km each way.

Well Bill, it's good to know that at 72 you still have good health and all your marbles intact.

I hope I'm as fortunate as well.

Unfortunately many expats are not so lucky. or have partners and need a little assistance now and again.

I think Chiang Mai have an expats club and NancyL assists those in similar positions.

Some get very set in their ways and don't like change from what they believe they know.

Getting a stubborn mule to move would sometimes be easier.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2017 at 9:54 AM, The Man Who Sold the World said:

yet another:

We understand your frustration - but, the truth of the matter is the immigration rules exist, are enforced, and must be complied with. You will need to develop a tolerance for accepting these rules or you will die a slow death from frustration if you intend to live here. 

Good luck to you. 

I think this post sums up the situation I used to become frustrated with government bureaucracy when I retired here over five years ago

I decided however that if I wanted to stay here I had to accept it, the alternative being to leave

Being realistic I don't think there are too many countries that allow you to retire with what are really fairly basic requirements

It is certainly not the case in Australia

• Like 1