Farang shames Thais - repairing road just a stone's throw from the airport!

webfact

Farang shames Thais - repairing road just a stone's throw from the airport!

1pm.jpg

Picture: Manager

PHUKET: -- Manager reported that online Thais were ashamed after seeing pictures of a western man repairing the road in Phuket.

He had got out his wheelbarrow, spade and cement just three kilometers from Phuket International Airport.

Fed up with the state of the road in Mai Khao district the unnamed man, aged about 50, was mixing the cement and filling in about ten potholes near his house.

Manager said Thais were embarrassed and ashamed that it had come to this. And in a place regarded as a top tourist destination to boot.

As the images appeared on Facebook they asked why the authorities were not stepping in to repair the road.

They said the pictures appeared on a page called "FF Phor Kha Look Chin Ping".

Source: Manager

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-27

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only way to get movement by local gov't is to shame them. Huge rubbish dumps 1/2 km from Pattaya city hall were spotless only after being exposed on social media. I need a pair of those hidden camera eyeglasses for my next birthday....

3 hours ago, webfact said:

He had got out his wheelbarrow, spade and cement just three kilometers from Phuket International Airport.

As opposed to the more popular approach of farang kvetching on TV about "someone should do something."

He lives here. Why not actually do something other than whine and moan?

16 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

As opposed to the more popular approach of farang kvetching on TV about "someone should do something."

He lives here. Why not actually do something other than whine and moan?

Send us a photo when you step up to the plate. 

3 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Should be using a cold tar patch mix. That concrete won't last long.

But good for him for doing it.

The cold tar and gravel patch mix they use here in Thailand turns to mush in the first rain.

Last Spring here in Pattaya I watched a road repair supervisor gently pushing his shovel through an area of wet cold tar and gravel patch that had been applied only a couple of days before.  Using only one hand he peeled it up like icing off a cake.

What will work is using a hot tar & gravel mix then pounding it down until it is solid, but that is too much like work and since it lasts it would mean the end of being paid to "fix" the problem over and over again.

Will he be arrested for not having a work permit? Good on him. Anything and everything that can be done to shame the authorities into doing the right thing, and performing good work for the people is an excellent effort. Kudos to him for his efforts. 

Everyone knows why the road was not being repaired. It is all about the money. There is no lack of funds, as some locals like to protest. It is just that the funds are being used to support certain individuals, headmen, and authorities, who do not deserve one baht of this money. 

Agree with your suggestion. However it seems he was doing the repair under the private enterprise scheme and therefore hadn't had the benefits (or hinderance) of a ganger/foreman/site agent/roads engineer or the local authority transport department head offering their guidance and opinion. Hence the job is done.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

is funny because westerners like to fix concrete roads with tar mix and tar roads with concrete. this makes 3 guys in a row using the wrong material. should probably leave it up to the professionals.  better he puts plants in the holes. makes for a better photo opportunity.

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why is it?... there is always some sanctimonious munchkin who tries to turn a positive into a negative and cry 'work permit' when someone goes out of their way to help... 

Good on the guy for fixing an issue... 

I would gladly fill in the potholes in the concrete  roads here in Rawai, but we only have dirt. We fill up our 50cm deep ruts and holes with bags of stones

1 hour ago, stravers said:

The only way to get movement by local gov't is to shame them. Huge rubbish dumps 1/2 km from Pattaya city hall were spotless only after being exposed on social media. I need a pair of those hidden camera eyeglasses for my next birthday....

In Pattaya you need every farang to fix all the potholes. 

The bypass south of Jomtien isn't made properly during the 8 years I lived there, despite all the busses visiting Floating market.

Archived