Unsure if I have a case against my school.

Ok. Hopefully someone can help me out with this one. I have a contract with a college which is signed by all parties and states that my contract will run til the 30th of April this year. A week ago the person who deals with the foriegn at the college said to my wife (not too my face) that because my work permit will run out on the 19th of April the college will only pay me til that time. So basically I will not recieve a full months salary. My wife rang the local labour office to see if I had a case to push the college to pay me the full month as that is what is stated in my contract but they said because I was told inadvance that I had to accept it. Has anyone else had something similar happen to them? If anyone is wondering why my work permit will expire before my contract is because I have a multiple entry Non O visa which requires me to go to a border every 3 months and supposedly now work permits are linked to the entry stamps rather than to your work contract which I think is Crazy but how it is here. Anyway, any info would be great.

Cheers

You can only work on a NON IMM B visa, which is then converted to a 'work visa' at immigration once you have attained the blue book work permit. The 'work visa' is then dated to the same date that your contract expires. The 'work visa' can then be extended at immigration when you have a new contract for the following year, without you having to leave the country. You can have multiple entry, [and pay for it] if you intend to leave the country, for example: to take holiday, a couple of times during the year.

It is not legal to work on a 'Thai wife visa', this kind of visa has to be converted to a NON IMM B before you can start the work permit and 'work visa' process.

PS. Why are they talking to your wife and not you?

PPS. Please don't tell me you are teaching English!

12 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

You can only work on a NON IMM B visa, which is then converted to a 'work visa' at immigration once you have attained the blue book work permit. The 'work visa' is then dated to the same date that your contract expires. The 'work visa' can then be extended at immigration when you have a new contract for the following year, without you having to leave the country. You can have multiple entry, [and pay for it] if you intend to leave the country, for example: to take holiday, a couple of times during the year.

It is not legal to work on a 'Thai wife visa', this kind of visa has to be converted to a NON IMM B before you can start the work permit and 'work visa' process.

Thank you UbonJoe for enlightening Jeremy50. JaiMaai you are correct that they have given me just about a months notice, so it does look like I will not be able to push for a full months salary.

To Jeremy50, I am  guessing the reason they are talking to my wife is because she is Thai and it makes it easier for them. Not really very professional but it is what it is. Yes, I am teaching English but did not realise that on a forum I had to make sure everything was up to your standards.I was venting alittle and just typing away.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

Total and utter rubbish!

When I changed jobs last year (due to redundancy) the extension of stay was cancelled for the original extension and a new extension issued under consideration for the new job, this extension of stay was then extended for a year up to 28th March 2017, at that time, my initial employment contract was for 6 months firm, so not even close to the extension date OR the work permit expiry date, the work permit was issued for one year on 22nd March 2016 and has since been extended for another year up to 21st March 2018, even though my last employment contract was expiring on 22nd March 2017, I'm due back to immigration at CW on Wednesday (29th) after the consideration period for the last extension (issued on 1st March and prior to the renewal of the work permit) and I fully expect that immigration will issue a new extension of stay based on work up to 28th March 2018.

The connection is if my employment is terminated, then so will the extension of stay, as mine is based on work and the original Non B visa issued in 2004.

There is absolutely nothing stopping somebody from working on a Non O based on Marriage, dependants etc. it does not have to be a Non B.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

The only thing I would say in your defence is that you were most likely given the information, all wrong by the way, by the company that employs you.

• Like 1