Non-B visa expires on 31 Mar. How long do I have to leave the country?

I always thought that I would have to leave the country the following day, but my friend insists that I have up to 7 days after it expires to exit the country. He also said that I wouldn't receive a fine for this. I'm dubious! Can anyone confirm?

If I don't have 7 days, can I get a 7 day extension at immigration?

Many thanks in advance.

ps read this if you want more info on my situation: My employer is unsure if they can get the paperwork ready in time for me to extend my current visa and work permit. I have a flight booked to my home country on Apr 6. I'd rather not do a visa run if I don't have to.

You have to leave the country on the date your permit to stay ends which in your case is the 31st. The day after would be one day of overstay.

There is no 7 days to leave the country. You can apply for the 7 days, pay 1900 baht and be given 7 days to leave the country.

• Like 1

You have until midnight on the day of expiration of permitted to stay, although airport may not charge fine for up to one day overstay your passport will be stamped as overstay - not good.

You can apply for an extension of stay using normal TM.7 and if not meeting valid conditions be allowed up to 7 days to depart (which seems to be what your friend really means).  .  

42 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You have to leave the country on the date your permit to stay ends which in your case is the 31st. The day after would be one day of overstay.

There is no 7 days to leave the country. You can apply for the 7 days, pay 1900 baht and be given 7 days to leave the country.

Thanks ubonjoe. I'll go to immigration this week to extend my visa.

42 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You have until midnight on the day of expiration of permitted to stay, although airport may not charge fine for up to one day overstay your passport will be stamped as overstay - not good.

You can apply for an extension of stay using normal TM.7 and if not meeting valid conditions be allowed up to 7 days to depart (which seems to be what your friend really means).  .  

Thanks lopburi3. I'll avoid getting an overstay stamp (as you say, not good). I'll go to immigration to extend this week.

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually your extension will not be allowed - you get the 7 days to leave in that event.   So do not worry when they say an extension is not approved.

Ah ok. Is it 7 days from the date that I apply or 7 days from the last day of visa?

40 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually do not recall (getting old and never did it) but believe it may be from application as it is not an approved extension (which would start at end of current stay).  

I'll make sure I go on Friday then. Thanks again.

Not approving seems like a rejection to me - but maybe just my love life.  Below is quote for a recent thread - and note that his 7 days were from date of expiration of stay.

'Application for extension NOT approved, Applicant must leave the Kingdom not later than --- (7days after the 90)'.

Edited by lopburi3

On 3/27/2017 at 3:22 PM, KarlosInBKK said:

Thanks ubonjoe. I'll go to immigration this week to extend my visa.

As UJ said, you would be extending your permission to stay, not your visa. Presumably you are currently in the country on an extension of stay.

In the unlikely event that you actually possessed a still valid multi-entry visa, you could do an out and in border crossing before it expires to get a new permission to stay. I expect if you actually check the visa issued by an embassy or consulate outside Thailand, you would find it expired long ago.

On 3/27/2017 at 2:29 PM, KarlosInBKK said:

My employer is unsure if they can get the paperwork ready in time for me to extend my current visa and work permit.

If your employer manages to get you a new extension of stay before you depart, remember you'll need a re-entry permit.

On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 2:39 PM, ubonjoe said:

Some people are amazing its basic common sence when to leave. Ask when you come in

Posting a question like this, "when do I have to leave the country, my visa ( or extension of stay ) """" EXPIRES""" on x/x/xxxx?",  I would think one would know what the word, "expires", means if a person has command of his language. I would also think that a person would look towards the future if a person wanted or needed to stay longer than the visa expire date for a way how to extend the stay.  Maybe I am stupid: I do my 90 days 4-5 days in advance, my extension of stay based on retirement 14 or more days in advance - so I have room to address any problems that might show up in advance of my report date or """"retirement visa"""" "EXPIRE" date. Waiting till the last minute is a great way to get booted out of ANY country if you can not solve a problem that might present itself by the end date your are allowed to stay.

When I moved to a new city, and rented from a person that never rented to a foreigner before, the day my new lease started, I went to immigration ( new office ) and told the officer " I moved today, my landlord never rented to a foreigner, would you please help me with the necessary paperwork needed". This overworked  ( I would guess the average officer sees 80+ people a day ) and under paid officer gave me the necessary paperwork,  gave / explained the instructions to me in English and in Thai to my girlfriend, and told me to bring back the paperwork tomorrow. I thanked him for his help. Tomorrow came, paperwork in order, the last thing he said to me, " remember to do your 90 day report in 5 days".

ASK for help from Immigration Service if you need or want to do something way BEFORE a expire date .  Above all, be NICE and THANK the person for their time and help with your problem or question. 

Who knows what's really in the OP's passport but good bet is an extension that he got after the WP which means the WP expired already (if he applied for an extension the day after getting the WP would have taken at least 30 days to get the extension) and he is overstayed but can't know without photos.  Since neither he nor the employer seemed to make note of expiration dates and get ahead of the ball as I said it's a good bet he is here illegally.