Search called off for missing Russian woman on Koh Tao

webfact

Search called off for missing Russian woman on Koh Tao

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

RUSSIAN-696x432.jpg  

KOH TAO — Koh Tao police said on Monday they were no longer searching for a missing Russian tourist after finding no sign of her.

Police called off the three-week search for 23-year-old Valentina Novozhenova, who went missing on the southern resort island in mid-February.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/calamity/2017/03/27/search-called-off-missing-russian-woman-koh-tao/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-03-27

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone knows where she is, and will sleep easier knowing the search has been called off. Expect another slim young western female to go missing from that place within the next year or so. Did the police use dogs to search forested areas? I doubt it.

Someone knows where she is, and will sleep easier knowing the search has been called off. Expect another slim young western female to go missing from that place within the next year or so. Did the police use dogs to help search forested areas? I doubt it.

You have any idea what it costs to have fully trained cadaver dogs on hand?

Just several would bankrupt the islands police force.

Use your brain, this ain't Texas. I'm surprised they searched this long. Most western countries would have called it off as well, however its not case closed!

33 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

How convenient. No one is losing face and the island keeps its squeaky clean image. 

these thoughts crossed my mind as well. i suspect the locals and or officials dont want any more murders reported on this island. not that i am saying this is necessarily what happened in this case. wonder how careful the dive boats are at counting the divers on and off the boats as well.

How convenient. No one is losing face and the island keeps its squeaky clean image. 
[/quote

90000 missing persons in the USA.
But if one dares go missing here it's automatically a cover up lol

It's in the islands best interest to catch the killer assuming she wasn't just washed out to sea.

Nobody will feel comfortable with a killer at large stalking pretty women, that is far more damaging!

1 hour ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

wonder how careful the dive boats are at counting the divers on and off the boats as well.

At least the dive center which I used to dive with in Koh Tao is really strict about counting divers and non-divers on board. Before boat begins move, everyone should go to the upper desk and divemaster on duty calls everyone by name and make notes in list. So, it's impossible to "forget" someone in the water. Do not need to mention that dive guide (or instructor in case it's some course, not just fun dive) must always maintain visual supervision all the members of his small group. When dive is finished, guide/instructor ensures that all his customers/students on board, and only after that he exits from the water himself. It's normal practice...

12 hours ago, whoareyou said:

You have any idea what it costs to have fully trained cadaver dogs on hand?

Just several would bankrupt the islands police force.

Use your brain, this ain't Texas. I'm surprised they searched this long. Most western countries would have called it off as well, however its not case closed!

Is this for real?  Most western countries would have called it off?!!  Its not closed?!!!!

I also thunk the idea was to have dogs sent over rather than permanently kept on the island.

21 minutes ago, carmine said:

Is this for real?  Most western countries would have called it off?!!  Its not closed?!!!!

I also thunk the idea was to have dogs sent over rather than permanently kept on the island.

We had a kid go missing after a run at my work.

we had 4 dogs come search 6 days.cost $22,000 American.

Your not big on CSI programs or research are you.

1. First there is a waiting period until missing persons reported.
2. Unless there are suspicious circumstances that could be lt!
3. Search party is formed and there is a search, flyers handed out etc
4.after a few weeks it's called off.. Police do not have they resources in first world countries let alone in developing to be walking through forests for 6 months!
5. Detectives continue to look for clues and interviews

Take a look at the post above for dog costs! Like I said this ain't Texas! They are not blood hounds but cadaver dogs and in any case they won't be brought in until they are sure a murder has been committed, why? It's common sense but it's a waste of money

I'm surprised that people are so lazy to do a bit of research before posting nonsense

51 minutes ago, whoareyou said:

Your not big on CSI programs or research are you.

1. First there is a waiting period until missing persons reported.
2. Unless there are suspicious circumstances that could be lt!
3. Search party is formed and there is a search, flyers handed out etc
4.after a few weeks it's called off.. Police do not have they resources in first world countries let alone in developing to be walking through forests for 6 months!
5. Detectives continue to look for clues and interviews

Take a look at the post above for dog costs! Like I said this ain't Texas! They are not blood hounds but cadaver dogs and in any case they won't be brought in until they are sure a murder has been committed, why? It's common sense but it's a waste of money

I'm surprised that people are so lazy to do a bit of research before posting nonsense

Are your knowledge is gleaned from CSI........interesting, and amusing.

Do they have any views on the Keystone Cops?

14 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Someone knows where she is, and will sleep easier knowing the search has been called off. Expect another slim young western female to go missing from that place within the next year or so. Did the police use dogs to search forested areas? I doubt it.

2 hours ago, whoareyou said:
4 hours ago, Lupatria said:
[/quote

It's in the islands best interest to catch the killer assuming she wasn't just washed out to sea.

Nobody will feel comfortable with a killer at large stalking pretty women, that is far more damaging!

tourists seldom just go missing here unless there is a crime committed, and this particular island (indeed, all of LoS), has a reputation of covering up crimes, heinous or otherwise,

committed by influential and/or elite people...

and rest assured that the perp is still at large, and will not be brought to justice any time soon, thanks to who he is...

Just now, stephenterry said:

Strange that the B2's DNA testing only took a few hours, before the RTP declared a perfect match. 

it's easy to declare a perfect match when you know that the evidence will be compromised and/or destroyed immediately after the report...

2 hours ago, whoareyou said:
5 hours ago, Lupatria said:
[/quote

Actually, it's in the island's best interest to cover-up any atrocity caused by the untouchable mafia, and they couldn't care less. 

2 minutes ago, jenifer d said:

it's easy to declare a perfect match when you know that the evidence will be compromised and/or destroyed immediately after the report...

Exactly, and that's why it's strange that they didn't issue a similar non-match or declared only the woman's DNA was on the diving equipment..

Actually, it's in the island's best interest to cover-up any atrocity caused by the untouchable mafia, and they couldn't care less. 

Bit hard to cover it up now it's mainstream and broadcast on Russian news. Now way in hell I am allowing my daughter to go there no matter what her age!

You better believe there are thousands of others in the same boat

You better believe it's damaging.

6 minutes ago, whoareyou said:

Bit hard to cover it up now it's mainstream and broadcast on Russian news. Now way in hell I am allowing my daughter to go there no matter what her age!

You better believe there are thousands of others in the same boat

You better believe it's damaging.

They cover it up by being silent. Omerta. No-one knows what happened to the girl, and no-one is going to point a finger at anyone, unless a Burmese migrant can be made a scapegoat. The fact it's in the foreign media makes no difference, especially now the search has been called off.   

They cover it up by being silent. Omerta. No-one knows what happened to the girl, and no-one is going to point a finger at anyone, unless a Burmese migrant can be made a scapegoat. The fact it's in the foreign media makes no difference, especially now the search has been called off.   

Most people these days go to the local forums of the country they are visiting to ask for information relative to their trip. Eg what are the best Islands to visit?

The info on this thread ain't going away.
Ever! Bad publicity with most suggesting a killer.

It's hugely damaging until A. They find her washed up or B. Catch the killer.

Successfully hiding a murder and keeping it a secret right along the police chain of command is conspiracy of the highest order and quite frankly impossible to keep quite at this stage.

1 minute ago, whoareyou said:

Most people these days go to the local forums of the country they are visiting to ask for information relative to their trip. Eg what are the best Islands to visit?

The info on this thread ain't going away.
Ever! Bad publicity with most suggesting a killer.

It's hugely damaging until A. They find her washed up or B. Catch the killer.

Successfully hiding a murder and keeping it a secret right along the police chain of command is conspiracy of the highest order and quite frankly impossible to keep quite at this stage.

You clearly are not aware of the Thai justice system and haven't read the longtime saga of the 2 Brits killed on Koh Tao. Hannah Witheridge & David Miller.  Most posters consider the two Burmese scapegoats are innocent, and a cover-up of the real murderers is ongoing. 

I'm sorry to say if the authorities choose so, it's alleged they can cover up ANYTHING.  It's alleged that's how justice works in Thailand, IMO.

You clearly are not aware of the Thai justice system and haven't read the longtime saga of the 2 Brits killed on Koh Tao. Hannah Witheridge & David Miller.  Most posters consider the two Burmese scapegoats are innocent, and a cover-up of the real murderers is ongoing. 

I'm sorry to say if the authorities choose so, it's alleged they can cover up ANYTHING.  It's alleged that's how justice works in Thailand, IMO.

Hmmm doubt that one is a cover to protect the real killers but rather an attempt to close the case ASAP for obvious reasons.

Unfortunately that happens in 1st world as well, overwhelming pressure leads to false arrest, usually of the lower levels of society Burmese here negros over there.

5 minutes ago, whoareyou said:

Hmmm doubt that one is a cover to protect the real killers but rather an attempt to close the case ASAP for obvious reasons.

Unfortunately that happens in 1st world as well, overwhelming pressure leads to false arrest, usually of the lower levels of society Burmese here negros over there.

Okay, seems like I'm pushing a pea uphill but do a Google search on the death of Nick Pearson on Koh Tao, whose parents consider a cover-up, and similarly the death of Luke Miller cover-up, just to protect the image of Thailand as a tourist attraction. 

16 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Within a year...? 555555 I give it four months...!  And they will use the fortune tellers again.