Tuk Tuk artist recommendation needed, and sanity check on my idea.

This may be a bit of retirement madness but - hopefully soon - I should be receiving my brand new PCX150 and I have a colour problem...

I chose the white version, as all my previous vespas, however there is not such a thing as full white for PCX nowadays, they all come with that horrible orangy part in the middle, which I just don't like.

I am still tempted to change it to red or blue, but maybe not... as I am still hoping to make something out of it...

Two options:

1 - Take the orangy bits out and spray them white - will that work? I fear not, and I may end up with two different types of white, which would be horrible. Does anyone know somewhere in Sukhumvit where I could do it if I chose to?

2 - Turn the orangy bits into a canvas and ask a tuk tuk artist to make the most of them, temples, sunsets, palmtrees, thai landscapes, whatever... Does it sound mad?

Would it make the bike more prone to theft, and would it be feasible anyway?

Can anyone suggest where and how I can go to have the artwork done? :)

Thanks in advance,

straydog

5 minutes ago, canerandagio said:

a bit of retirement madness

This is just one of the little things in life that make the world a better place.

The successful recolouring of an annoying orangey bit is surely the best remedy for Brexit, Trump, immigrants, nagging wives, or spice in the not-spicy somtam. In fact, it's arguably one of the many answers to the question 'What is the meaning of life?'

Stay passionate, Mr straydog!

Er, what woz the question again?

19 minutes ago, Squeegee said:

This is just one of the little things in life that make the world a better place.

The successful recolouring of an annoying orangey bit is surely the best remedy for Brexit, Trump, immigrants, nagging wives, or spice in the not-spicy somtam. In fact, it's arguably one of the many answers to the question 'What is the meaning of life?'

Stay passionate, Mr straydog!

Er, what woz the question again?

I don't know if you know me, but you seem to have caught the spirit in full :)

Dismantling and repainting a brand new bike, why not, we live only once... :)

Edited by canerandagio

6 minutes ago, canerandagio said:

Sounds like a great idea, but what does 'wrapping' entail?

Vinyl sheets of plain colour or artwork are applied to the plastic panels. Like this... https://www.google.co.th/search?q=vinyl+wrapping+for+motor+scooters&newwindow=1&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiyzofo_vbSAhUTR48KHbhABAMQ7AkIJg&biw=1366&bih=634

Don't know where you will find them in your area. Maybe search for custom bike sites or PCX clubs.

2 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Found this Bangkok company with Google. This PCX has been  wrapped...

http://www.wrap-a-car.com/index.php/facebook-gallery?id=642992465773041

58d931b3bd0e8_PCXwrapped.jpg.9676dcb1f98cbd74fb81f47018616c97.jpg

Great, thanks... looks more professional than I expected, and I guess more pricey too :)

So, I guess that if I want some artist to do the landscape paining I would need to have the area wrapped first in a plain colour and painted afterwards?

15 minutes ago, canerandagio said:

Great, thanks... looks more professional than I expected, and I guess more pricey too :)

So, I guess that if I want some artist to do the landscape paining I would need to have the area wrapped first in a plain colour and painted afterwards?

No. Wrapping can be in a plain colour or a pre-printed design. It's just a sheet of vinyl molded and glued to the plastic or metal panel.

If you want a painted design there will be no vinyl. The painter will just prime the surface and lay the paint.

I expect that neither will be cheap - but you will have something unique.

There are plenty of custom paint jobs and vinyl on scooters and bikes (and tuk-tuks) here. I suggest you have a chat with some owners and find out where they got their work done - maybe your Honda dealer can point you in the right direction.

Edited by chickenslegs

8 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

No. Wrapping can be in a plain colour or a pre-printed design. It's just a sheet of vinyl molded and glued to the plastic or metal panel.

If you want a painted design there will be no vinyl. The painter will just prime the surface and lay the paint.

I expect that neither will be cheap - but you will have something unique.

There are plenty of custom paint jobs and vinyl on scooters and bikes here. I suggest you have a chat with some owners and find out where they got their work done - maybe your Honda dealer can point you in the right direction.

Many thanks!

Surely it won't be my Honda dealer giving me directions, as when I got there there were only a couple of 18 year olds struggling to apply the number plate frame to the bike :)

Final question - do you think they'll need to dismantle the parts to apply the vinyl?

Edited by canerandagio

2 minutes ago, canerandagio said:

Many thanks!

Surely it won't be my Honda dealer giving me directions, as when I got there there were a couple of 18 year olds struggling to apply the number plate frame to the bike :)

Final question - do you think they'll need to dismantle the parts to apply the vinyl?

Yes. But that is a very easy thing to do on a PCX.

They don't always need to dismantle to apply the wrap....however a better job is easier or more of a guarantee if they do.

It all depends on what/where the part is.

I've even seen a high end Mercedes done completely in a red chrome wrap. Now that was different!

Sounds like a great idea, but what does 'wrapping' entail?

Many car enthusiasts (petrol heads) have theirs cars colours changed by applying different colours coverings to them. Best look on u Tube. Also check out 'aqua-graphics'. I have seen that used a lot on bike bits (pretend carbon fiber, for instance)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote post="11747833" timestamp="1490630437" name="canerandagio"

Yes and remember any colour changes have to be reported to your transport office so that the owners book (tabien rot) can be amended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember whenever you change the original color that was on the bike when it was first registered with Land Transportion Dept. you have to notify them so they can change the paperwork. Failure to do this results in problems if the BIBS stop you and check your paperwork and when you go to sell or trade in the bike.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 3/27/2017 at 10:44 PM, canerandagio said:

No.

If you want some landscape/hand-painting on your panels,

they need be removed and painted.

[Possible then to have them clear vinyl covered for protection.]

or just clear coat spray paint.

Or:

Wrap-shops can often print vinyl any way you want

[digital later printed]

before applying it to vehicle.

The sky is the limit for image design.

You see vinyl advertising wraps & signage

on company vehicles everywhere now.

Removing plastic panels is pretty easy & cheap by any mo-canic.

The cost of painting vs wrapping is slight.

Nether of these services are expensive.

A couple hundred bucks should easily cover it.

Good luck;

We'll need pics after of course...   ;-)

No.
Or:
[digital later printed]
Good luck;

1490632347061.jpg The attached is just an idea...but I like it. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-N910F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No.
Or:
[digital later printed]
Good luck;

1490632347061.jpg The attached is just an idea...but I like it. [emoji4]

I visited two shops...one said that the orange parts are not wrappable because they are not gloss pastic (any feedback?)
The other shop produced the attached design within 1 hour.1491038537106.jpg1491038534523.jpg
It involves covering white everything oramge and applying the gold skyline.
I am actually looking for something more colorful....: my idea is sonhkran red-white shirt pattern (see attached) on front mudguard and bottom half of topbox (not in picture) colourful watercolour scenary (different on each side) where the golden skyline is now..20170401_154154.jpg
Opinions?