Scooter insurance/tax renewal jomtien

thaitero

If your bike is less than five year old and so doesn't need a test then you can renew the tax and government insurance at Big C on Sukhumvit on a Saturday morning. If it's older than five years and needs a test certificate then you'll have to find a testing station. For a small fee they'll get the tax and insurance sorted out for you too. These places come and go and I'm not aware of one in Jomtien but who knows? If not I use the one on the west side of Sukhumvit between South Pattaya and Central Pattaya Roads. Coming from South Pattaya it's a few hundred yards before the big McDonalds.

Look for a tor-ror-or sign like this one:

Car_Inspection_Service2-crop.jpg

8 minutes ago, thaitero said:

How they calculate this 5 years?

We bought a new scooter in August 2011.

First check was due last year in August 2016 to get the sticker for the 6th year (until August 2017).

30 minutes ago, thaitero said:

Because i have been out of country my scooter insurance/tax is out of date.

5 years old this year sebtember

Your case sounds like you will get a sticker/insurance until September this year (only).

After that an inspection is due.

10 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

We bought a new scooter in August 2011.

First check was due last year in August 2016 to get the sticker for the 6th year (until August 2017).

Your case sounds like you will get a sticker/insurance until September this year.

O.k thanks,,

I checked the actual date when i received my bike and it was dec 2012 so i quess i will get stamps until dec 2017..

Let see how it goes next saturday.. What time there is this service? O.k to go without thaispeaking help?

Edited by thaitero

1 hour ago, thaitero said:

Because i have been out of country my scooter insurance/tax is out of date.

What is the nearest (jomtien) place to take care of both nowdays?

Whilst BigC will do this on Saturday mornings, as mentioned, I believe this is only if your current tax has not yet expired.

One year I missed the deadline at BigC for my car (because they simply didn't go one Saturday) and the next Saturday they told me I was too late and would have to go to the land transportation office, which I did.

YMMV

4 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Whilst BigC will do this on Saturday mornings, as mentioned, I believe this is only if your current tax has not yet expired.

One year I missed the deadline at BigC for my car (because they simply didn't go one Saturday) and the next Saturday they told me I was too late and would have to go to the land transportation office, which I did.

YMMV

O.k, good to know..

Last time when renewing i did this at AAinsurance near this bigC

I quess i will try that again first.

I would rather not drive so far as transportation office with nonlegal scooter..

In the other direction   is a newish test center that can  do all the legwork for you for 300 baht

Google street view map
Na-Jomtien vehicle test center

There is another test center on South Pattaya road ( Sukhumvit end) and

on the Sukhumvit  between South and Center roads   near the Honda Bigwing dealer

AA insurance is not open at weekends anymore ..so you need to buy your insurance somewhere before trying to pay the tax ( the test center in Na-jomtien sell it maybe others do to)

On 29.3.2017 at 2:12 PM, Guderian said:

Look for a tor-ror-or sign like this one:

Car_Inspection_Service2-crop.jpg

Thanks for the tips, PM and here..:smile:

Visited AA-insurance today.

Had to wait a bit..When it was my turn lady sold me this obligatory insurance. Did not want take my greenbook so i have to take care that myself. As i understood correctly it is not always sure somebody comes to BIG C for this service...Some minor hiccup with service was that servicelady insisted that my bike is over 5 year old and needs this testcerticate..With help of another employee she finally got it right..

So saturday i will try this big C and if it does not work i will go to nearest "test center" and maby they will handle this taxstamp for me. I noticed that sign above very near from big c on pattaya tai/soi4. I will check out that first..

As for Global insurance, i visited that place first. They did not sell this obligatory goverment insurance but it is possible i got it wrong..We did not speak "same language" there at all. I tried to explain why i am there and they insisted i have to write my name down to some piece of paper to "check something".. :shock1:Very odd, well both of us did not speak english as first language.. Maby it was just that..TiT :post-4641-1156694572:

Edited by thaitero

Hi. Sorry you had problem at Global. I found them very helpful but I dealt with Matt who is multi bilingual. Anyway good luck with your insurance. I might also add that Matt speaks German, French and English also. I found that getting quotes and questions helps to get by email first before you go in. http://www.globalinsurancethailand.com/page/our-team

Edited by willyumcr
Add information

On 29.3.2017 at 3:44 PM, KittenKong said:

YMMV

With motorbike beeing late was not problem today at Big C.:smile:

For people who have not done this before: These transportation office people can be found 2 floor in front of actual big c shop. 

Edited by thaitero

On 3/30/2017 at 7:02 PM, thaitero said:

Thanks for the tips, PM and here..:smile:

Visited AA-insurance today.

Had to wait a bit..When it was my turn lady sold me this obligatory insurance. Did not want take my greenbook so i have to take care that myself. As i understood correctly it is not always sure somebody comes to BIG C for this service...Some minor hiccup with service was that servicelady insisted that my bike is over 5 year old and needs this testcerticate..With help of another employee she finally got it right..

So saturday i will try this big C and if it does not work i will go to nearest "test center" and maby they will handle this taxstamp for me. I noticed that sign above very near from big c on pattaya tai/soi4. I will check out that first..

As for Global insurance, i visited that place first. They did not sell this obligatory goverment insurance but it is possible i got it wrong..We did not speak "same language" there at all. I tried to explain why i am there and they insisted i have to write my name down to some piece of paper to "check something".. :shock1:Very odd, well both of us did not speak english as first language.. Maby it was just that..TiT :post-4641-1156694572:

Found out why you had the problem at Global, seems they do not have the license(?) to sell the Government insurance, strangely they buy it in from AA Insurance !

Also AA has a Dutch chap who speaks German, French, English and naturally Dutch