E-mail Messaging To Thailand

wilson1a

I'm not sure if I've duplicated this post, but my sms text messaging stopped being received in BKK around December 9th. However I can still receive sms text here in the U.S. It's been recommended I switch over to e-mail texting. My friends mobile begins 87 xxx xxxx. I think this may be AIS. Can anyone possibly help with the proper mailing domain syntax? Thanks very much.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried sending a text to your friend, but omitting the '8' at the front.

Ex. the number would start (0)7xxx xxxx

Give it a try, it may work.

Alternatively you could send an SMS using our service here.. http://sms.thaivisa.com/

Totster :o

Thanks Totster for your reply. Yes, I have tried that. In November, direct dial mobile required the 8, but the text would not work with the 8. Around December 9th, Sms texting stopped being received in BKK with or without the 8. It was recommended I try e-mail texting, but I'm not sure as how to proceed with the format for the receiving end (mobile 087).

In some cases the person in Thailand needs to have emailing "turned on" by their provider (AIS, DTAC, Orange etc). Try calling your friend and ask them to have it turned on. Or if their phone can send MMS to you, you should be able to reply with an email back. One of my friends sends email to me (But I think it is really an MMS) and I just reply. My phone sees her message as an email and when I reply her email address is just her phone number.

I think the domain syntax for AIS is @ais.co.th. You can try but I am not sure that this works as it would be easy for spammers to go nuts.

Good Luck!

TheWalkingMan

In some cases the person in Thailand needs to have emailing "turned on" by their provider (AIS, DTAC, Orange etc). Try calling your friend and ask them to have it turned on. Or if their phone can send MMS to you, you should be able to reply with an email back. One of my friends sends email to me (But I think it is really an MMS) and I just reply. My phone sees her message as an email and when I reply her email address is just her phone number.

I think the domain syntax for AIS is @ais.co.th. You can try but I am not sure that this works as it would be easy for spammers to go nuts.

Good Luck!

TheWalkingMan

I am able to successfully send SMS'es from a mobile phone in the U.S.A. (T-Mobile) to pre-paid 1-2-Call and post-paid DTAC customers. If their number is 085 555 5555 then I would use the following +66855555555. (You can replace the "+" woth "011".)

1-2-Call used to offer free/open web-based SMS origination service but dropped that at least a year ago.

It looks like you can sort of send an email to, using the sample number above, [email protected] (Note there is no "8".)

The resulting received SMS comes from number 900414, and it reads, "[email protected] send email to you. Please contact 1175 to register EMAIL 2 MMS service or inform email him/her."

(An email to [email protected] yields the same results.)

I did get an autoreply from [email protected] saying, "Sorry, the email to [email protected] could not be sent because this number is not registered or changed as alias name for E-MAIL 2 MMS service."

1175 is the 1-2-Call customer service line.

Not all phones can receive MMS'es, although it's not clear if that is a requirement to receive email originated SMS'es? For those with phones incapable of receiving MMS'es, the recipient gets an SMS with a URL, then the go get the MMS on the internet.

It seems odd that the OP cannot successfully originate an SMS from their phone? I suspect a user or system problem? I also use a paid SMS delivery system, www dot telemessage dot com , which offers an Outlook plug-in. With this I can originate SMS'es via Outlook as an email, and when it is received it looks like it came from my mobile. This is slightly less expensive than originating SMS'es from my mobile in the USA.

Edited by lomatopo