Now give the "real" reason why you are leaving.

CharlieH

9 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Not so sure about that. Thailand has some economic benefits, but if you want a cheaper existence, there are many other places. Have you looked at Ecuador? Pleasant weather, absolutely no visa, property or business  hassles--for a simple annual fee you get all the benefits of Ecuadorian citizens, except the vote. The senoritas are sweet, the beer cheap, and the accommodation affordable.  

can i ask you have you lived in Ecuador and if you have why did you choose to leave there ? thx 

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

haha What world do you live in? There is one very big topic that is an easy example of not being able to speak freely. But I guess i can't mention that now can i? In fatc it is forbidden by the terms of this site.

To see other examples all you have to do is read about BBC journalists being threatened and dozens of other examples of the bizarre defamation laws. You can not even name and shame a restaurant without the fear of being sued.

I  certainly have to watch what I say on this forum more so than any other I frequent. 

LMAO. The junta is attacked a thousand times a day!

TV long-ago seeked legal advice on the possibility it's supporting a site that promotes political instability

Compare that to the recent discussions of the King which always carried a warning
Now that was a direct threat to freedom of speech

Your in LA LA land dude. Puleez don't pretend your shattered because frankly nobody's here has been thrown into a cell

Maybe your just overly sensitive and frightened.. But not need!

10 minutes ago, whoareyou said:

LMAO. The junta is attacked a thousand times a day!

TV long-ago seeked legal advice on the possibility it's supporting a site that promotes political instability

Compare that to the recent discussions of the King which always carried a warning
Now that was a direct threat to freedom of speech

Your in LA LA land dude. Puleez don't pretend your shattered because frankly nobody's here has been thrown into a cell

Maybe your just overly sensitive and frightened.. But not need!

I am not literally all that frightened. I did mention exactly the one topic we can not normally speak about. You do not appear to be perceptive enough to realize I had indeed made that very point. 

People have had their lives destroyed for putting things in places such as facebook etc. Defamation laws are a real problem in Thailand. 

Edited by anotheruser

I am not literally all that frightened. I did mention exactly the one topic we can not normally speak about. You do not appear to be perceptive enough to realize I had indeed made that very point. 

People have had their lives destroyed for putting things in places such as facebook etc. Defamation laws are a real problem in Thailand. 

Well now your coming back down to earth.

Junta had been in power years now so snap out of it. Never has been a single farang persecuted.

Like I said, getting bored with throw away one liners that repeated until "true"

Just now, whoareyou said:

Well now your coming back down to earth.

Junta had been in power years now so snap out of it. Never has been a single farang persecuted.

Like I said, getting bored with throw away one liners that repeated until "true"

There is just so much wrong with your post that I won't bother refuting it. As long as "no farang has been persecuted" it is all good. Even if that isn't a factual statement. 

32 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Not so sure about that. Thailand has some economic benefits, but if you want a cheaper existence, there are many other places. Have you looked at Ecuador? Pleasant weather, absolutely no visa, property or business  hassles--for a simple annual fee you get all the benefits of Ecuadorian citizens, except the vote. The senoritas are sweet, the beer cheap, and the accommodation affordable.  

The problem with Ecuador is in another thread about alternatives to Thailand it was pretty much the consensus you would have to be about as desperate as Julian Assange is to live there. 

In any case Thailand does seem to have a very large foreign population that is treading water. This could partially be because of what a hassle they make it to do anything productive here I suppose. 

There is just so much wrong with your post that I won't bother refuting it. As long as "no farang has been persecuted" it is all good. Even if that isn't a factual statement. 

Links? Put up or move on

No wonder your scared shirtless. If your going to spread conspiracy theories then you better be damned sure you can back them up!!!

11 minutes ago, catman20 said:

can i ask you have you lived in Ecuador and if you have why did you choose to leave there ? thx 

I have not lived there, but I have visited friends who live there. The cost of living is certainly comparable to Thailand, maybe better. Immigration hassles are almost non-existent. You can do everything a citizen can do except vote--work, own property and businesses, do not have to report every 90 days or leave country to stay longer--check it out online.

4 minutes ago, whoareyou said:

Links? Put up or move on

No wonder your scared shirtless. If your going to spread conspiracy theories then you better be damned sure you can back them up!!!

You are beginning to make me think freedom of speech is a bad thing. Well done!

3 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I have not lived there, but I have visited friends who live there. The cost of living is certainly comparable to Thailand, maybe better. Immigration hassles are almost non-existent. You can do everything a citizen can do except vote--work, own property and businesses, do not have to report every 90 days or leave country to stay longer--check it out online.

Whenever South or Central America comes up in these discussions people say things like that and then the safety issue comes up and it turns to crickets.

What's really bothering me about my future in Thailand???  I'm not worried about healthcare, per se.  I think the accredited hospitals here in the city are fine, if a little expensive.  ( although MUCH cheaper and more efficient than those in America!)

No, what I'm worried about is that I'll need to get to the hospital here in Bangkok in a hurry, I mean, a REAL hurry.  I have nightmares about my ambulance being stuck in traffic on Sukhumvit with the siren blaring and NO ONE pulling over to get out of the way.  At least back home in America I can depend on getting to the hospital in a hurry and Medicare will pay the hospital bills, too.

You are beginning to make me think freedom of speech is a bad thing. Well done!

Nah just like to put people in their place when spreading misinformation.

I think you get it now.

Have a nice evening.. And watch our for the men in black [emoji23]

after five seasons coming here and reaching 70 and in good shape still working at home because don't know what I do without more money and good health care we have in my country and of course our taste of junk food most likely looking for security if I ever feel sick.

Weather wise it is very nice bt Arizona or Cuba including Brasil will do.

So next season is not in my bcket list.

1 minute ago, whoareyou said:

Nah just like to put people in their place when spreading misinformation.

I think you get it now.

Have a nice evening.. And watch our for the men in black emoji23.png

No farang ever persecuted. You have a nice day too my delusional little gem.

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/regional/2017/02/23/bbc-journalist-faces-five-years-jail-for-thailand-reporting/

I am a retired British citizen and have lived in Thailand now for 13 years.  I find that several things irritate me a little, one of which is the extreme heat, although air-con can largely mitigate that.  I am 75 years old and have made many mistakes here which have lost me millions,  but I still have enough to get by in reasonable comfort but by no means with a lavish life-style.  

I have a wonderful Thai wife and it has never entered my head to consider returning to the over-regulated UK, even though I would then receive an up-dated State pension (frozen for the last 10 years)  plus various other benefits, not the least of which would be free medical attention, providing I could show that my move back was permanent.  Thailand has its faults of course but overall it is far more attractive and a more relaxing place to live (to me at least) than the UK. 

7 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

The problem with Ecuador is in another thread about alternatives to Thailand it was pretty much the consensus you would have to be about as desperate as Julian Assange is to live there. 

In any case Thailand does seem to have a very large foreign population that is treading water. This could partially be because of what a hassle they make it to do anything productive here I suppose. 

Well now, have you been to Ecuador or know anyone who lives there? Certainly, Ecuador is not Thailand a; for starters its people are Latins, not Asians; so there are drastic differences.  Three differences I noted when there; the beer is cheaper, the weather more pleasant, and the stories of cuckolded husbands being treated as long-term customers are not nearly as rampant.

This thread has gone way off topic.... this is the "real" reason people are living thread. If you have no intention to leave there is also a "real" reason to stay thread. 

I have noticed in both threads though and whatever the answer may be it always just ends up being money. Which is somewhat ironic as people here usually rag on the Thais for their pre-occupation with money.

3 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Well now, have you been to Ecuador or know anyone who lives there? Certainly, Ecuador is not Thailand a; for starters its people are Latins, not Asians; so there are drastic differences.  Three differences I noted when there; the beer is cheaper, the weather more pleasant, and the stories of cuckolded husbands being treated as long-term customers are not nearly as rampant.

Yeah my friend was from there. You don't just walk around anywhere anytime like you do in Thailand. That is what he said anyway. It isn't something I feel that strongly about. This thread however is asking people who are leaving why they are leaving. 

I think I gave some pretty good opinions as to the "real" reasons I am leaving. 

Is the beer any better?  I can afford the beer anywhere I go so does it taste better?

Edited by anotheruser

@bangkok -

stench

garbage

filth

traffic

fumes

shit schools

terrible hygeine

poorly educated locals

people pissing in public

aggressive poorly educated locals

brutal externally educated local billionairres

corruption from top to bottom

dishonesty from top to bottom

substandard competence of 99% of professionals

nepotism

rats

mosquitoes

ticks

heat

humidity

3rd world drainage

anything decent is extortionately priced

prehistoric attitudes

absolute frustration at trying to explain anything to almost everyone

I have lawyer friends who agree with me but are able to circumvent most issues with delegation of duties to underlings

essentially, im not rich enough to treat everyone with utter contempt/disregard and get away with it.

if i was id be as smug as the 3% of happy people in this thread

inanutshell.

#my home country is worse because of the immigrants who make thais seem like simple fembots

my current partner of 10 years is an absolute angel, especially compared to the previous 2 utter witches.

Edited by edgarfriendly

8 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Whenever South or Central America comes up in these discussions people say things like that and then the safety issue comes up and it turns to crickets.

You sound like someone who refuses to consider anything different. Can you honestly say Thailand is getting better for the expat? I cannot.  Every argument you provide seems hearsay or scare tactic.  I have had guns pulled on me here in Thailand. I ride motorcycles, you want to talk about security on these roads with these drivers?

3 minutes ago, edgarfriendly said:

@bangkok -

stench

garbage

filth

traffic

fumes

shit schools

terrible hygeine

poorly educated locals

people pissing in public

aggressive poorly educated locals

brutal externally educated local billionairres

corruption from top to bottom

dishonesty from top to bottom

nepotism

rats

mosquitoes

ticks

heat

humidity

3rd world drainage

anything decent is extortionately priced

prehistoric attitudes

absolute frustration at trying to explain anything to almost everyone

I have lawyer friends who agree with me but are able to circumvent most issues with delegation of duties to underlings

essentially, im not rich enough to treat everyone with utter contempt/disregard and get away with it.

if i was id be as smug as the 3% of happy people in this thread

inanutshell.

#my home country is worse because of the immigrants who make thais seem like simple fembots

apart from the above, everything else is great and going well for you,  right ?????:cheesy:

Just now, smotherb said:

You sound like someone who refuses to consider anything different. Can you honestly say Thailand is getting better for the expat? I cannot.  Every argument you provide seems hearsay or scare tactic.  I have had guns pulled on me here in Thailand. I ride motorcycles, you want to talk about security on these roads with these drivers?

You haven't read most of what I posted. I do not believe Thailand is getting better and have said I am leaving. I do not like it here and never really have and have somewhat toned down my opinion of the country. So what I am saying is for the same reasons I am tired of living in a third world dump as Thailand would probably be applicable to a place like Ecuador. 

I am not sure where you saw me defending Thailand in this thread?

Thailand is to countries what Chang is to beer is about the best way I can explain it. I mean this literally in terms of taste and price.  

i just listed the real reasons.

this place is a toilet, i dont want to get suicidal before i decide ive had enough

plus my kids deserve better than the schools i can afford can offer (and my wealthier friends never cease to tell me how shit their extortionate 'international' schools are)

i homeschool, and my offspring are literal leagues ahead of ANY others ive met/taught

(in confidence, competence,  kindness,  consideration,  general education, in all aspects!!)

Edited by edgarfriendly

6 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Yeah my friend was from there. You don't just walk around anywhere anytime like you do in Thailand. That is what he said anyway. It isn't something I feel that strongly about. This thread however is asking people who are leaving why they are leaving. 

I think I gave some pretty good opinions as to the "real" reasons I am leaving. 

Is the beer any better?  I can afford the beer anywhere I go so does it taste better?

Well, I also have Ecuadorian friends. However, their opinions of living standards and expectations are not the same as mine. I have been there and saw no such terror in walking about; my expat friends who have lived there for six years now, love it and feel secure there.  Of course, they are my age, but not as immature, as they say.  I take that as a compliment.

I am seriously contemplating leaving Thailand—have been resident here for ten years and visited here the 40 years before that. I prefer to live in Southeast Asia—eleven years in the Philippines and four years in Vietnam.  However, I am open to other areas; like Latin America.

The entire reason for wanting to leave Thailand is personal. I am simply no longer satisfied here and do not see things getting better in Thailand—and I have the urge to move on while I am still able. At 72, I am domestically, financially and physically sound. I am not returning to some geographic home of my rearing. Home is and always has been where my ass resides.

I did not come to Thailand under the circumstances so commonly seen—in search of utopia, a Thai woman, or some exotic existence.  I have neither stayed here because of a relationship with Thai woman nor have I buried myself here with property and businesses I cannot own and will have trouble selling for anything but a loss.

My wife of 38 years is an American of Filipino ancestry and she would go with me, always has. We have lived together all over the world; including the States, the Middle East, Europe, and the PI. So, I believe we will check-out Vietnam again next—my previous existence there was under different circumstances.

You haven't read most of what I posted. I do not believe Thailand is getting better and have said I am leaving. I do not like it here and never really have and have somewhat toned down my opinion of the country. So what I am saying is for the same reasons I am tired of living in a third world dump as Thailand would probably be applicable to a place like Ecuador. 

I am not sure where you saw me defending Thailand in this thread?

Thailand is to countries what Chang is to beer is about the best way I can explain it. I mean this literally in terms of taste and price.  

You might want to consult wiki for definitions of what a third world country is.

Perhaps you may feel happier knowing that thailand is not [emoji16]