Clearing Thai Income Tax - Children Allowance

Not sure if this is exactly the right forum to post this in, although it will be read by the members that are likely to have the experience to perhaps advise correctly.

I've just had cause to go to the Soi Langsuan branch office of the Revenue Department to file an additional PND91 to clear last year's income tax prior to the deadline tomorrow, not so much of an issue to do this, although there wasn't anybody available that had particularly good English language skills, never mind, as on the whole between my poor Thai and their English we got by.

Apart from one thing, the lady that was checking the PND91 and evidence came out and said that for next year I must submit a medical as I claim the yearly allowance for 2 children, both in education (so for 2016 17,000 Baht each for the year).

I tried to find out what she meant as a 'medical' as it made no sense why a health check would be needed!

Pretty sure she did not fully understand my question, although one thing she did say it is required because I'm the Father and claiming the allowance, if the Mother was claiming then it is not needed.

Surely she would not be talking of some sort of DNA proof that I am the Father? 

Part of the evidence submitted was a copy of each of their birth certificates, both with me as the Father, both have my surname, both children were legitimised by marriage to their Mother, although we are now divorced.

I've been claiming the allowance for both of them every tax year since 2004, never an issue or a single question asked.

Has anybody else heard of this and have any inkling what 'medical' the Revenue Department could possibly mean?

Edited by Mattd
x

Unlikely to be DNA or paternal proof test - the child allowance (increasing to THB 30,000 for 2017 but no educational allowance) is given whether the child is the taxpayers legitimate child or spouses legitimate child, or the taxpayers adopted child.

6 minutes ago, GavinK said:

Unlikely to be DNA or paternal proof test - the child allowance (increasing to THB 30,000 for 2017 but no educational allowance) is given whether the child is the taxpayers legitimate child or spouses legitimate child, or the taxpayers adopted child.

Yes, this is exactly as I understand it also, really perplexed as to the why and for what possible purpose this medical can achieve for the RD!

The only difference this year from previous years is the divorce side of things, though from a tax point of view I lose the spouse allowance, so the RD is actually better off because of this.

I will most likely just ignore the request and carry on as before.