Disk C backup software

fvw53

I have plenty of space on several external hard disks ( I use Windows 10)

I tried a free backup software for the C disk where my Operating System is located and I noticed that the volume of the backup file is about the same as the original.

So could I just copy all the data on my C disk without need of a software : or is there a software which includes the full recovery of all installed programs without a need to  re-insert the serial numbers and the activation?

The same question applies for my D disk (with 1.8 Gb data only) ; why need for software if I can just make a backup copy using Windows.

It will depend upon the software you used to make the backup

To make an "clone image" of your disk that restores absolutely everything you can do it quite easily for free with a Linux boot disk
And the very powerful and dangerous "dd" command they call it Destroyer of Data for fun

In the past I used a trial version of Macrium reflect to "clone" my operating system partition to a new hard drive.

Your question was why you should use any other software and not which software, right?

Well, the reason is that windows contains hidden files as well as protected files which are necessary. With ordinary copy and past, these files can't be accessed. So you would create a useless copy.

I'm not a friend of any backup software.

I always do the following: while I still have a good version of Windows, I make sure to have either a second partition on my HD or another hd in my computer.

On that one I save and keep all my data like: music, documents, pictures etc.

This is safer then keeping those important files on the C partition.

For everything else I have the original files stored outside the pc.

So in case of a virus, malware or broken harddrive, I just install a fresh version of windows.

This is a lot faster, better and cleaner then to try to get rid of a virus or wasting many hours in search of the things that went wrong.

It also brings the opportunity to upgrade your drive and replace it with a bigger Harddrive or faster SSD drive.

It sounds complicated, but believe me, sometimes working with backup programs brings more loss than doing it manually. I know because I helped a few people with their PC's...

1 hour ago, Thaijack2014 said:

Your question was why you should use any other software and not which software, right?

Well, the reason is that windows contains hidden files as well as protected files which are necessary. With ordinary copy and past, these files can't be accessed. So you would create a useless copy.

I'm not a friend of any backup software.

I always do the following: while I still have a good version of Windows, I make sure to have either a second partition on my HD or another hd in my computer.

On that one I save and keep all my data like: music, documents, pictures etc.

This is safer then keeping those important files on the C partition.

For everything else I have the original files stored outside the pc.

So in case of a virus, malware or broken harddrive, I just install a fresh version of windows.

This is a lot faster, better and cleaner then to try to get rid of a virus or wasting many hours in search of the things that went wrong.

It also brings the opportunity to upgrade your drive and replace it with a bigger Harddrive or faster SSD drive.

It sounds complicated, but believe me, sometimes working with backup programs brings more loss than doing it manually. I know because I helped a few people with their PC's...

I do exactly like you : on C only the OS while on D the data (those are both internal) but I have also 2x 2Tb external HD 

Do I understand well that if I make a Clone of C disk (using Acronis or Easeus ) and then put it on external HD I can in case of a crash re-install the OS and the installed software programs without a need to find and re-introduce the serial numbers?

If you have a cloned image yes you can restore back to the original or new disk without having to input serial numbers
Its like a photograph or snapshot of exactly when you made the clone image...anything you saved or updated from that point will not be restored....that can be good or bad depending...

OP, one thing that should be mentioned perhaps is that your 'clone' or 'image' will reflect on the state of your OS partition at the time it was taken.

That would affect, for example, if the reason you need to use this is because of a malware/virus/ransomware infection. If your system was infected at the time you took the image or cloned the partition, the image or clone will be infected as well. If you are using 3rd party software you should look at incremental backups as well. An incremental backup will only save changes that have happened from when the original image was taken. Incremental backups give you the option of recovering closer to the present date than having to go back to the original image. This will save all the documents/pictures/videos/emails that you may have put in the imaged partition.

I know everyone is different, but my usual routine would be to take an image after a clean install of both your operating system and any other programs (MS Office, pdf software for example) that you install so you have a clean base to go back to. On top of that i set an incremental backup (of the OS partition to this backup) for every second day so, worst case scenario, i would only lose two days data in the event of a disaster. I let this run for a month and if everything is still OK, repeat the process by taking a full image again and setup that image for 2 day incrementals.

I will still keep the original image (after the clean install) but delete all the original incremental files so I always have the 'clean' base to fall back on. Reason for this is that MS are anal about keeping a lot of unnecessary data and as you take repeated images, this will also be retained and eventually affect the running of your OS. Again, everyone is different but i will normally go back to the base image every 6 months or so and start the backup solution again from scratch.

Hope that helps a bit.

Edited by chrisinth

On 3/31/2017 at 4:49 PM, fvw53 said:

I do exactly like you : on C only the OS while on D the data (those are both internal) but I have also 2x 2Tb external HD 

Do I understand well that if I make a Clone of C disk (using Acronis or Easeus ) and then put it on external HD I can in case of a crash re-install the OS and the installed software programs without a need to find and re-introduce the serial numbers?

Well, the answer was already given. You can do it that way. It takes a long time though. But while the cloning is happening you don't need to do anything but waiting.

I think you're making your life more complicated.

There's a free program called Macrium, one of the best on the market, where you can create a backup in 15 minutes.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Then use a memory stick and create an emergency startup stick with which you boot in case of a failure.

Depending on how many programs you're running, your backup won't be bigger than 60 to 90 BG.