Dengue Fever in Sattahip

ftpjtm

We are in a neighborhood in the Bang Saray, Sattahip area. Approximately 10 people from the neighborhood have contracted Dengue Fever. We have heard that 600 of 1000 beds at Queen Siriket Hospital in Sattahip are currently occupied with Dengue Fever patients. Take lots of precautions with regards to mosquitoes! 

The Department of Disease Control, Ministry of Health, will increase surveillance in 2016. There are five important diseases including Dengue Fever, Cholera, Influenza, Hand, foot and mouth disease and Meningococcal Meningitis.

It is predicted that in 2016 the number of patients with dengue fever will be around 160,000-170,000 patients. The number of patients will spike in May to August and continue until end of year. Most are in age group of 15-24 years. And the illness rate among adults (25-34 years old) is trending to be increased. There are risk areas of the outbreak nationwide. In Chonburi province, high risk areas for Dengue Fever are in Muang Chonburi, Banglamung and Sattahip.

Dengue Fever has multiple risk factors and there is no vaccination to prevent this yet. If you have high fever, loss of appetite or vomiting for more than 2 days please visit a doctor immediately to screen for Dengue NS1 and PCR. Early diagnosis will lower the severity of the disease and risk of death.

Bangkok Hospital Pattaya can provide fast and accurate screening by Dengue NS1 method which takes 1 hour for the result or 2 days for PCR result.

Source: Bureau of Bureau of Vector-Borne Diseases, Bureau of Epidemiology. Department of Disease Control, Ministry of Health

http://m.bangkokpattayahospital.com/en/hospital-news-en/health-articles-en/item/832-updates-2016.html

Edited by ftpjtm

And no, I'm not affiliated with any hospital or health organization. I'm just a bit surprised that there's not much talk about this current epidemic which seems quite severe, and the article I linked to is the only one a quick search found with reference to the local area. 

We flew from U-Tapao to Macau last week and were surprised that the plane interior  was sprayed with insecticide upon landing. I haven't flown between Thailand and the Hong Kong, Macau region in a long while, but don't recall that being standard procedure. Now I'm guessing it was because of the Dengue Fever epidemic. 

Edited by ftpjtm

Some things I've learned.

The Dengue Fever host mosquitoes stay in a very localized area. They do not carry the disease long term, only short term transmitting it from an infected person to others. So if it hits your neighborhood, be very careful. 

Having Dengue once does not give you immunity to it. One woman in our neighborhood has it for the second time in the past 10 years. 

The mosquitoes that most commonly transmit Dengue are known as "day biting" mosquitoes, so you are more likely to get Dengue from exposure to to mosquitoes during the day than at night. But a second species of mosquito which less commonly transmits the disease bites at night. So "you can only get Dengue in the daytime" is a common sentiment based on fact, but is not entirely true. 

Early symptoms of Dengue are similar to flu symptoms. Internal bleeding is a symptom of Dengue which is not necessarily obvious when it is occurring. Because of this it is very dangerous to give a Dengue patient common fever reducing drugs such as aspirin, and this also makes it Dengue especially dangerous for persons using blood thinners. Dengue can be detected quickly with a blood test in early stages. So if anyone in your household has fever it is strongly recommended that you get tested for Dengue as soon as possible so they can get appropriate treatment for the fever without exacerbating the situation. 

Edited by ftpjtm

A couple of days ago an employee from the Na-Jomtien health authority came knocking on my door and inform me that a neighbour had been hospitalised

with the dengue fever..they offered to fumigate the apartment and handed out an information leaflet

and some sketolene mosquitoes repellant (active ingredient 12% DEET)

6 hours ago, johng said:

A couple of days ago an employee from the Na-Jomtien health authority came knocking on my door and inform me that a neighbour had been hospitalised

with the dengue fever..they offered to fumigate the apartment and handed out an information leaflet

and some sketolene mosquitoes repellant (active ingredient 12% DEET)

Same in our neighborhood. I'd accept the fumigation offer (we did). The mosquitoes stay in the local area so you are presently at risk. 

Edited by ftpjtm