Why don’t Thai People Follow the Rules?

Inspire

As I sit here in Canton for the fest known as Qingming ( long weekend from HK) anyway the Metro here is pure madness to navigate.

Very clear signs DO NOT CROSS THE YELLOW LINES , getting on the train that is, sorry if I am shouting. Next thing as the train approached hundreds of people pushing and jostling like locusts to get on the train and get on a seat. Basically ignored any safety or code of conduct as I ducked and tried to get on which I did the beep, beep door are closing signal. Moments later screams as some woman it turned out got her tote bag stuck in the doors as the train started to move her arm still in it.

Immobile for a long time no idea what actually happened, I got off and walked away, just one of those things.

Can't apply Western norms to this place and same goes for Thailand. It's getting better but still.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

because someone misbehaves in a supermarket queue the OP has come to the conclusion that ALL Thai people disregard rules - and only Thai people do that - this is a completely irrational conclusion (e.g. my dog has 4 legs) - this kind of behaviour happens all over the world - except of course in countries without supermarkets - so maybe we should ban supermarkets????

Dumbastheycome

•  

Assist   me  with  wisdom  then .:smile:

Time and again people comment on a thread without fully understanding the issues or informing themselves of the topic before coming to an illogical conclusion and then bereft of argument, they turn to their critics for "advice". Te answer is simple - educate yourself before commenting don't ask others to do your work for you.

Edited by Notadoctor

On 4/3/2017 at 9:41 PM, swissie said:

This makes it impossible for a Farang, raised in "the West", to mentally integrate in Thailand. Ever.

The opposite is also true -- and it's a point lost in the general debate. For as long as I can remember there has been an ambition in Thailand to become a developed country (First World). But as stated in numerous other threads on TV, to do that, you need to embrace international conventions, most of which require a lot of self-discipline. I don't think anyone can argue with the points that Thais are a very poorly disciplined, very self-centered people who lack the community cohesion (me first!) needed to develop their society to First World standards. Too much lip service is paid to issues like human rights, human trafficking, drug trafficking, fiscal responsibility, law enforcement, judicial independence, proper education and so on.

All these issues require an adherence to rules, not just another Thai "promise" or "vow" to do something. 

4 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

The opposite is also true -- and it's a point lost in the general debate. For as long as I can remember there has been an ambition in Thailand to become a developed country (First World). But as stated in numerous other threads on TV, to do that, you need to embrace international conventions, most of which require a lot of self-discipline. I don't think anyone can argue with the points that Thais are a very poorly disciplined, very self-centered people who lack the community cohesion (me first!) needed to develop their society to First World standards. Too much lip service is paid to issues like human rights, human trafficking, drug trafficking, fiscal responsibility, law enforcement, judicial independence, proper education and so on.

All these issues require an adherence to rules, not just another Thai "promise" or "vow" to do something. 

both posts are tripe! Read my first post to see why.

10 hours ago, Notadoctor said:

Dumbastheycome

•  

Assist   me  with  wisdom  then .:smile:

•  

Time and again people comment on a thread without fully understanding the issues or informing themselves of the topic before coming to an illogical conclusion and then bereft of argument, they turn to their critics for "advice". Te answer is simple - educate yourself before commenting don't ask others to do your work for you.

I may be as  dumb as they  come  but I  can also  understand " not a  doctor."

Re read   what I said and  see if  a  non prescription is  actually appropriate.

On 4/5/2017 at 9:07 AM, Notadoctor said:

because someone misbehaves in a supermarket queue the OP has come to the conclusion that ALL Thai people disregard rules - and only Thai people do that - this is a completely irrational conclusion (e.g. my dog has 4 legs) - this kind of behaviour happens all over the world - except of course in countries without supermarkets - so maybe we should ban supermarkets????

The OP does  not  specify  ALL  Thai. But  as a generalization is  reasonable  from my observation because  although people demonstrate this  kind of misbehavior all over the  world and  even in locations  deprived of supermarkets the  question was specific to Thailand.

Reasonable  rational justifiable  criticism does  not provide  any premise  to impose an outcome other than by law which is the function of  legal enforcers. The very obvious failure  to do so is the crux of the issue the OP put the question to which it can be assumed to covers issues  rather more serious than the irritation of  queue jumping at the  supermarket.

As I have  already stated  I have to consider the compromise of my reasonable rational and  hopefully  justifiable criticism with what is and  what is  not beyond appealing to legal resources on a personal basis if necessary.

I live in Thailand which is  rather more like a plastic  bag than any  box.

2 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

The OP does  not  specify  ALL  Thai. But  as a generalization is  reasonable  from my observation because  although people demonstrate this  kind of misbehavior all over the  world and  even in locations  deprived of supermarkets the  question was specific to Thailand.

Reasonable  rational justifiable  criticism does  not provide  any premise  to impose an outcome other than by law which is the function of  legal enforcers. The very obvious failure  to do so is the crux of the issue the OP put the question to which it can be assumed to covers issues  rather more serious than the irritation of  queue jumping at the  supermarket.

As I have  already stated  I have to consider the compromise of my reasonable rational and  hopefully  justifiable criticism with what is and  what is  not beyond appealing to legal resources on a personal basis if necessary.

I live in Thailand which is  rather more like a plastic  bag than any  box.

As your premises are false, your assessment is neither reasonable nor justified - it is IMO to be taken either with a pinch of salt or better still ignored completely.

The wife got a 500 baht speeding ticket (Number 3) the other day.

She said shes not going to pay it. Why I asked? My brother did not pay his so why should I pay? I then told her that they are clamping down on speeding fines and if you dont pay it you wont be allowed to tax your car. Still refuses to pay!

Follow the rules.....they cant do it.

Having said that the rules change so quickly here its difficult to remember them all..

On 4/7/2017 at 5:48 AM, baneko said:

The wife got a 500 baht speeding ticket (Number 3) the other day.

She said shes not going to pay it. Why I asked? My brother did not pay his so why should I pay? I then told her that they are clamping down on speeding fines and if you dont pay it you wont be allowed to tax your car. Still refuses to pay!

Follow the rules.....they cant do it.

Having said that the rules change so quickly here its difficult to remember them all..

Sounds like you need to get her to slow down, or you could become a Widower! 

It is not just Thai people who don't follow the rules, if I don't agree with anyones rules and can find a way around it, then so be it.

But I will not break any rule if it causes harm to any decent ordinary person.

I was at a corner store last night ready to buy something and a woman walked up right in front of me and made a purchase.

My wife says it happens.

I didn't take it personal. I didn't say anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/3/2017 at 8:39 AM, snoopy21 said:

Most likely that woman is a wife of a farang. At Pattaya, You can see those women having farang husband or boyfriend, or mixed kid, are so arrogant.

In fact, I have seen farangs did the same thing at BigC Pattaya, but the cashier not even said a word. I did complain about this to the cashier, she said it is ok so long as the farang paid cash!

Last Saturday, when I was waiting the BTS, a farang was also waiting, but he ignored the queue and stood at the middle of the door. Once, the train arrived, he rushed in!

Yes, trying to beat everyone to get a seat, if I was in that queue, I would have had a word, would suggest he gave the seat to a Thai, "to save any problems".

On 4/3/2017 at 0:14 AM, swissie said:

Lack of enforcement of rules (laws). As long as the police only concentrates on "law-enforcement" if a direct financial benefit for them is imminent, no wonder that half of the laws are not beeing enforced.

BUT THERE IS HOPE: The weekly round-up's of thieving Lady-Boys on Beach Road in Pattaya indicates that the cops mean business. I could even imagine, that those LB's will be held for 2 hours at the police station and get fined 125 Bht instead of holding them only for 1 hour and only fine them 100 Bht. As I said, there is hope.

BUT THE MAIN THING IS, that immigration laws are strictly enforced. The rest is not that important.
Cheers.

But some Thai immigration laws are unfair, ie, compare an expat in Thailand with a Thai wife, and an expat in the Philipines with a Philipina wife.

Which one has all the unnecessary hoops to go through? I rest my case.

On 4/3/2017 at 9:41 AM, hdkane said:

Christ...most rules are made to make life easier and more orderly for everyone...very few victimless rules exist...I suppose you're thinking of drug laws, but even those have consequences...stupid laws in Thailand, such as those that protect the influential (e.g., libel laws) exist, but the OP was talking about things most people with a modicum of intelligence would consider simple manners.

."most rules are made to make life easier and more orderly for everyone".

You say "most rules"? Fair enough, but what about the rest?

Have you guys just stopped using your brain completely when you moved here. This is not America, Europe, Australia, thank god. (or wherever you came from) Why do you expect people in their own country to act like you. I treat Thai people with respect simply because it is their country and I am their guest. If I break a rule, I say "Mai Ben Li" and I usually get the response, "never mind" in English. There are some very caring and considerate Thai people, some. There are some very good and considerate Thai drivers, some. I pay more attention to protecting myself from bad drivers that have no regard for their live's or anyone else's than I do trying to criticize behaviour of people in their own land. If I offended you by my attitude, "Mai Ben Li". I will eventually become just like Thais because I will be here a long time. Wimps, did someone step on your little toes or pull in front of you? Pity poor farang.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, timkeen08 said:

Have you guys just stopped using your brain completely when you moved here. This is not America, Europe, Australia, thank god. (or wherever you came from) Why do you expect people in their own country to act like you. I treat Thai people with respect simply because it is their country and I am their guest. If I break a rule, I say "Mai Ben Li" and I usually get the response, "never mind" in English. There are some very caring and considerate Thai people, some. There are some very good and considerate Thai drivers, some. I pay more attention to protecting myself from bad drivers that have no regard for their live's or anyone else's than I do trying to criticize behaviour of people in their own land. If I offended you by my attitude, "Mai Ben Li". I will eventually become just like Thais because I will be here a long time. Wimps, did someone step on your little toes or pull in front of you? Pity poor farang.

Post number one from this bm... way to make friends, dude. Keep it up.

1 hour ago, timkeen08 said:

1 hour ago, Ramen087 said:

I agree with timkeen08 insofar as we are living in Thailand - so it is up to us to adapt to their rules/behaviour.

Obviously some of the driving is annoying and dangerous at times, but this also applies to Western tourists on scooters - to whom I give a far wider berth than Thais!

On 4/12/2017 at 9:42 AM, kunfish said:

I was at a corner store last night ready to buy something and a woman walked up right in front of me and made a purchase.

My wife says it happens.

I didn't take it personal. I didn't say anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you see what happened in a post office or gov't. office or a bank before these places started Q lines and Q numbers?

Everybody tried to fight their way to the front and get the attention of the clerk to be next. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I am new to this site but not to sites. Are we not welcomed by this site to speak our minds? I speak my mind, you speak yours. I am not looking for friends but looking to find correct information on this site which is difficult probably due to people that think they own this site. If you do, I guess I will be blocked. If you don't, then your inappropriate comments are only meant to impress your friends on this site. Being new, I am unfamiliar with bm. Is that inappropriate as well?

9 hours ago, timkeen08 said:

Yes I am new to this site but not to sites. Are we not welcomed by this site to speak our minds? I speak my mind, you speak yours. I am not looking for friends but looking to find correct information on this site which is difficult probably due to people that think they own this site. If you do, I guess I will be blocked. If you don't, then your inappropriate comments are only meant to impress your friends on this site. Being new, I am unfamiliar with bm. Is that inappropriate as well?

Truly excellent post. You state you're not looking for friends. You've treated others on the board so as to meet your objective. 

[bm = board member]

Truly excellent post. You state you're not looking for friends. You've treated others on the board so as to meet your objective. 

[bm = board member]

Your original reply was just as friendly, especially towards a newcomer. I have found that old-timers belittling anyone new is very common on this forum. Way to go, I did feel very welcomed. So much misleading information and sarcasm on this site. I just follow suit in my own way same as you.

4 hours ago, timkeen08 said:

Your original reply was just as friendly, especially towards a newcomer. I have found that old-timers belittling anyone new is very common on this forum. Way to go, I did feel very welcomed. So much misleading information and sarcasm on this site. I just follow suit in my own way same as you.

I'm not an old timer. I wasn't belittling anyone; no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

Misleading information? I've found most BMs to be helpful, even when they've been strict or critical about my postings.

Those who aren't gentlemanly or remain overly critical (non-constructive) can easily be dealt with by using the "ignore" function.

It's nice to be nice, and most BMs do that. Extending the olive branch can work.

Edited by Ramen087