visa/30 day query

What are the current laws? I read from the Thai embassy website about a 30 day extension if somebody wants to stay longer than 30 days:

thai embassy and this site: for us citizens but i was told that the situation may have changed.  somebody was asking me about how long they can stay if they are a USA citizen without getting a visa. They might want to go for 2 months.. Can you help verify this information?

Edited by JoshuaCaleb

A 30 day visa exempt entry can be extended for 30 days at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

The only problem is that the airline might not allow them to board their flight to here without a ticket out of the country within 30 days. A low cost one way ticket to a nearby country can meet that requirement though.

5 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

On the subject of 30 days, I entered on 29 March and was given a visa exempt stamp to 27 April. Is that right? I thought it would be 28 April.

The day you enter the country is day one of the 30 days so the 27th of April is correct.

I could be wrong but I believe now you are limited to 2 visa exempt entries per year now.

Each one can be extended for another 30 days for a fee of 1900 Baht.

Myself, I had a fall and broke my arm.

Had an operation to reset the bone and am now on a 60 day medial rehabilitation  extension until 27 May 2017.

Same 1900 Baht fee for the medical extension.

7 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

I could be wrong but I believe now you are limited to 2 visa exempt entries per year now.

That is only for visa exempt entries at a land border crossing not by air.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2017 at 11:15 PM, ubonjoe said:

A 30 day visa exempt entry can be extended for 30 days at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

The only problem is that the airline might not allow them to board their flight to here without a ticket out of the country within 30 days. A low cost one way ticket to a nearby country can meet that requirement though.

so, if they want to extend it, they need to go to an immigration office to do so, but they may need to buy another ticket? Is it better then to apply for a visa prior to entering Thailand?

6 minutes ago, JoshuaCaleb said:

so, if they want to extend it, they need to go to an immigration office to do so, but they may need to buy another ticket? Is it better then to apply for a visa prior to entering Thailand?

Another ticket would not be needed for the extension. A onward ticket within 30 days may be needed to board the flight to here but that can be a cheap one way ticket to a nearby country.

Best to get at least a single entry tourist visa before arriving if you plan on staying longer than 30 days.

On 4/10/2017 at 11:42 PM, ubonjoe said:

Another ticket would not be needed for the extension. A onward ticket within 30 days may be needed to board the flight to here but that can be a cheap one way ticket to a nearby country.

Best to get at least a single entry tourist visa before arriving if you plan on staying longer than 30 days.

i don't really understand. why might they need an onward ticket to a nearby country? If they originally may have purchased a return ticket back to the USA, might they need to purchase a new return ticket, or is it possible to have an airline change the date? what is a single entry tourist visa? if they visit a neighboring country then go back to Thailand within the allowed time, to they need to do anything?