How do they do it?

whitethai

A few people have said to me their friends work for six months in UK then go to Thailand for six months then come back and get a job etc. etc.

I mean with this little money how do they do it?

It costs £450 odd for the flight alone.

The average monthly wage is like 1 thousand pounds.

I was there and spent a lot over a year so I know how money goes and it was very very sparing too.

They must have a condo to start with which cuts a lot of accommodation cost out  but then the nightlife etc. still is pretty costly

Not only that it takes time to get a job and the aging person even for unskilled jobs will find it very hard to get a job again.

Any inputs about this?

Some will have been drawing Uk benefits

as disabled this that and the other. whilst in Thailand.

Some will  go back,   to go on the Rob.

Some will go back and continue drug dealing

Some are just talking Bs, they did it for one year only.

A very few will go back and do real self employed work. :thumbsup:

Ps   I know 1 person that does this , but he must work for 8 months in uk,  he does not live in Pattaya

he has a home in the uk all paid for,  and home up country in Thailand all paid for. his just over 60, his plan is to rent the uk home out, when he gets to draw a uk state pension,  and stay full time here

i think he will struggle with money latter on.

Edited by onemorechang

47 minutes ago, whitethai said:

A few people have said to me their friends work for six months in UK then go to Thailand for six months then come back and get a job etc. etc.

Average monthly wage in the UK is a lot higher than that - more like double.

Self-employed plumbers, electricians, taxi drivers, fitters, and many more can earn multiples of the average wage in the UK without breaking sweat.

30 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

Ps   I know 1 person that does this , but he must work for 8 months in uk,  he does not live in Pattaya

he has a home in the uk all paid for,  and home up country in Thailand all paid for. his just over 60, his plan is to rent the uk home out, when he gets to draw a uk state pension,  and stay full time here

Much depends on where he lives in the UK; renting can be lucrative. If he plans to live up country in Thailand he will not have the same outgoings as he would in a city. Also, the UK home could be sold and proceeds could be invested.

29 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Self-employed plumbers, electricians, taxi drivers, fitters, and many more can earn multiples of the average wage in the UK without breaking sweat.

IT is true I should have NOT messed around at school. Unfortunately I am not skilled at these self employed jobs.

21 minutes ago, champers said:

Much depends on where he lives in the UK; renting can be lucrative. If he plans to live up country in Thailand he will not have the same outgoings as he would in a city. Also, the UK home could be sold and proceeds could be invested.

I rented before but it was stressful wondering what the hell people were doing in my house. Also most of that rent as paying the remortgage back. Then there as the fact of paying for storage.

Yes its violins time

Edited by whitethai

23 minutes ago, champers said:

I could have bought a condo in 2007 for 22 grand. However you know the red tape and underhand dastardly deeds associated with foreigner buying in Thailand I presume?

Edited by whitethai

If you can't make it work, you probably don't earn enough money back home. I'm a self employed builder, I work 6 months then take 4 months in Phuket. It's easy. Change your situation. Learn a trade and bank the money. Sell all your belongings, never spend on things you don't need. Find a residual income. How desperate are you?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

11 hours ago, whitethai said:

I could have bought a condo in 2007 for 22 grand. However you know the red tape and underhand dastardly deeds associated with foreigner buying in Thailand I presume?

You can still buy in Thailand for a lot less than that?

I've been doing this for 15 years (although working in Australia). All you need is an understanding employer who would rather take you back every year than lose you alltogether. Maybe not so easy to find but if you work hard and are loyal then there's no need for luck.
I also have two mates in the next village who have been doing it in the UK for longer than me. Sometimes they have to work 8 months but they come back here with coin and relax. New cars and thier own pools. It's very do'able. The hard part is being away from the kids for such a long time but I sure make up for it when I'm home.

I have a couple of friends been doing this forever, both drive trucks in the UK, they work for an agricultural haulier, so they go back for the harvest and haul stuff all over the UK.

They basically live in their trucks for 6 months, work their asses off, save their money and come back here before winter at home sets in :thumbsup: 

Both have houses and kids here, the kids go to good schools, so yes it is doable, you just need the motivation.

Hope that helps :whistling: 

14 hours ago, whitethai said:

I was there and spent a lot over a year so I know how money goes and it was very very sparing too.

They must have a condo to start with which cuts a lot of accommodation cost out  but then the nightlife etc. still is pretty costly

Not only that it takes time to get a job and the aging person even for unskilled jobs will find it very hard to get a job again.

Any inputs about this?

I have friends (Husband and wife, with 10 year old son), who run a seasonal business in Adelaide, Australia.    They work for 6 months (4 really) and then they pack up their business and from April to September they travel to a different part of the world.   Last year they spent 6 months in Europe where they bought a small yacht and sailed around, this year they are going back to spend more time sailing.

They make around 3 million baht in the 4-6 months they run their business.   Which is more than enough for them to travel for 6 months.   They also own their house in Adelaide and have plenty of money in the bank.

I did 4 months in Thailand and then 4 months UK did this for 16 years without any problems owned my own house with no mortgage also ran my own industrial electrical contracting business in the UK [ not drug dealing or collecting DHSS payments ]  with very good dependable staff and still do, but now due to the busy work load we have just now I have sold up my property in Thailand keep one rented condo in Bangkok  and relocated back home with my Thai wife in a more permanent basis to Scotland I will be retiring in a few years’ time and if the junta is gone from government by that time I will probably return on a permanent basis once again to Thailand.

14 hours ago, onemorechang said:

Well, not everyone lives from paycheck to paycheck. Offshore workers regularly spend half their time in Thailand and the other half working. I worked for years on overseas contracts--after completing one, I would party for up to two years before going back to work.  Of course, the secret is, you gotta go back to work before you get broke and it helps to make good wages; I always did. A thousand pounds a month is a paltry sum, no wonder you can't make it on that. I also know others who scrimp at home for six or eight months--eating Ramin noodles and sharing a small flat with four others--so they can come here and make like they have money. An American man and his Thai wife I have known for years are licensed home health care assistants in Florida--you know, a glamorized bedpan changer, pill-giver and babysitter with six-weeks worth of State certified health care training, a State license, and making $12-15/hr each. They live with his parents in Florida, even eating the parent's food and sucking up on the parent's utilities Then, they come back to Thailand for several months a year and make like they have money--not my way of living.    

15 hours ago, onemorechang said:

The fall back position (plan B) would be the house, i.e. he can sell it at anytime if he needs too and probably will when he finds out that it wouldn't be worth holding onto when he pays tax on the income which might even effect his pension, i.e. reducing it, and other costs such as water/council rates, home and tenant insurances, agents fees, maintenance and vacancy factor, if any, then there's the capital gains tax issue, isn't there ?

Personally I couldn't do it, back and forth, I used to come for 4 weeks, then 8 weeks, and once for 12 weeks, the only reason I couldn't do it for longer is I knew I was losing a minimum of couple of grand a week in wages (self employed contractor), which I would make up by pushing my boundary's when I returned, i.e. working weekends and public holidays, suffice to say I am content with my decision as 10 years down the track, having sold and purchased property in that period in Sydney with prices going up, at one stage more than 60% in 3 years, gave me the leap in years to retire at age 55.

I know blokes who do 6 months here and 6 months back in Oz, no kids, Thai partner, one has a townhouse in Phuket and the other a condo in Pattaya, but both live in their parents garages that they converted to a self contained flat, i.e. 16m2 roof with ensuite and kitchenette directly under the parents houses roof line, damp and dark, no windows because if council got a whiff they would be in trouble.

To have to return to that life for me would be like selling my soul to the devil, I would rather eat a bowl of rice 3 times a day. 

1 hour ago, Jim walker said:

I did 4 months in Thailand and then 4 months UK did this for 16 years without any problems owned my own house with no mortgage also ran my own industrial electrical contracting business in the UK [ not drug dealing or collecting DHSS payments ]  with very good dependable staff and still do, but now due to the busy work load we have just now I have sold up my property in Thailand keep one rented condo in Bangkok  and relocated back home with my Thai wife in a more permanent basis to Scotland I will be retiring in a few years’ time and if the junta is gone from government by that time I will probably return on a permanent basis once again to Thailand.

It is worth noting, Jim, that military coups are part an parcel of life here. 2 bloodless coups already this century but strongarm tactics have led to extreme brutality in the not too distant past. The recent coup does not seem to have greatly impacted the majority of Thais; daily life goes on; but social media has galvanised opposition to authoritarian regimes in other parts of the world. Would or could that happen in Thailand? Who can say?

21 hours ago, whitethai said:

IT is true I should have NOT messed around at school. Unfortunately I am not skilled at these self employed jobs.

So what are your skills please?

Trades man is one route but I know administration assistants who earn £450 a week working for them self and the Internet has really empowered people to earn a crust and you do not need mega IT skills or even half decent skills to pull a wage off the internet. Peopleperhour upwork elance all sorts of jobs advertised for all types of skills. It's sites like mentioned above that has got people in a twist about digital nomads and I think they should review that type of work in line with visas cos it's only going one way.

Even on minimum wage you earn 1000 GBP a month full time. Obviously most earn more. Also many do overtime or work a second job. I doubt if many minimum wage people live part time in Thailand, and certainly would struggle to retire here. I know one chap who does this as a Taxi driver. Just goes back to earn enough for the next 12 months, when his visa expires he goes back to earn a bit more.

On 4/3/2017 at 2:01 AM, chickenslegs said:

I know a friend who live in Scandinavia. He is a taxi driver and as he mentioned they make good money. He do the same he work for few months and take holidays for few months. Whenever he go back the job will be ready for him.

When you have a seasonal job, be it in Australia, or for example France, it's easy to do. I live on the cote d azur  where the towns are most busy from April to end of september. Lots of businesses close down for the winter months. In the high season, jobs are generally well paid, so you can save much more. Most of the people  I know, do like myself, work hard for 6/7 months, then leave for the Caribbean or Thailand for  example. I've been doing this for 35 years. When you are very busy in the high season working, you spend very little money. Also easier if you own your own home. For me it's the perfect way to live, as you then have the best of two worlds. . 

I know many people doing 6 months in Thailand and 6 months work.

Many tradesmen like roofers. They don't do a lot in the European winters so why not get some R&R.

Some guys do it and have a limited company. It's possible as a director to pay yourself a low wage and dividends thereby reducing tax liabilities.

My mate is a Slater in Scotland with a good reputation for quality work. He works through the summer then comes here Nov-April. His boss is happy with that.

I work 28-28 on the rigs.

Its possible to come here and live. You just need a plan.

Any inputs about this?

I think the average wage was 1k GBP a month when I graduated.... 29 years ago. It's probably double that now.

Not everyone is poor.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I have another question.

UK post.

IF you have no relatives etc. to hold your post then how do you handle that if you go for six months to thailand or actually move there?

I mean a P.O box is only valid for a few months 

I have another question.

UK post.

IF you have no relatives etc. to hold your post then how do you handle that if you go for six months to thailand or actually move there?

I mean a P.O box is only valid for a few months 

Most things are now done via email or online banking etc.

Whats so good about working like a dog for 6 to 8 months? Relaxing for like a month is nice but it seems to be a deadend life unless you are retired

Working for 6 or 8 months gives you either 6 or 4 months off....not bad compared to Normal Holidays.....plus the weemin....