Govt prepares measures to reduce road accidents during Songkran

webfact

Govt prepares measures to reduce road accidents during Songkran

BANGKOK, 3 April 2017 (NNT) - Deputy Prime Minister ahd Defense Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwan has chaired the meeting to oversee law enforcement and accident prevention measures during this year’s Songkran Water Festival. 

The meeting discussed measures to prevent terror attacks at prominent tourist destinations and Songkran locations, as well as ways to reduce road accidents. 

Meanwhile, military and police officers joined officials from the Department of Land Transport to inspect over 1,000 vans at Bangkok’s Southern Bus Terminal, paying special attention to the vehicles' electrical systems, gas tanks, fire extinguishers, safety hammers, seat belts, and navigation systems. 

Director of Bangkok’s second district transport office Somwang Thongkhao affirmed that all vans at the Southern Bus Terminal have been equipped with GPS tracking devices that will alert the office should the vehicle exceed 90 kilometers per hour. The tracking device also ensures that drivers spend no more than eight hours a day behind the wheel and take a 30-minute break between four-hour shifts. 

Vehicles without GPS tracking are prohibited from public service. Violators are subject to fines up to 50,000 baht. Drivers who fail to scan their licenses before leaving the terminal will be fined up to 5,000 baht, while those who are caught speeding will also be fined up to 5,000 baht. All drivers are required to take an alcohol test. Starting April 5th, officials will also strictly enforce the 13-seat limit for vans. 

Mr Somwang expressed confidence that the measures will reduce road accidents during the Songkran festival. He also advised the public to call the 24-hour hotline 1580 to report reckless or impolite driving.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-04-03

At last some sensible ideas being put into action. I suspect the office will be receiving a rather large amount of exceeding 90 kmh alerts.

Fines at a level that will actually hurt is good. The success of this is going to depend though on the enforcement, which were it functional on current laws, would probably have made the roads much safer already.

Having said that, I welcome any initiative that can reduce the daily death toll on the roads.

19 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

So none of us should be overtaken by any minivans this Songkran, if we stick to the 90kph limit on highways !!!

Haha Haha.... Right :shock1:

Interestingly I had noticed a number of what appeared to be the regular commuter vans on Highway 7 this last week that were travelling around the 90 mark. Noticed because they were not speeding and overtaking wherever possible. So just maybe it's a start....................:unsure:

22 hours ago, darksidedog said:

At last some sensible ideas being put into action. I suspect the office will be receiving a rather large amount of exceeding 90 kmh alerts.

Fines at a level that will actually hurt is good. The success of this is going to depend though on the enforcement, which were it functional on current laws, would probably have made the roads much safer already.

Having said that, I welcome any initiative that can reduce the daily death toll on the roads.

Exactly.

This (and only this) way was how it finally worked back home ... some 25 or 30 yrs ago though. 

Edited by jollyhangmon

27 minutes ago, 01322521959 said:

It'll all be forgotten about in a month.
Having lived here and used the roads for 20+ years standards have got worse not better.
Being a cynical negative bugger nothing will change

Sent from my i-mobile_i-STYLE_219 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, but imagine what the road toll would really be if they could find someone who could count that high.

Offer a reward of 50 baht to traffic police for every ticket they write for a serious traffic offence.

In less than 6 months you will accomplish the following results.

1 : every traffic police will be rich.

2. government debts will be not existing any more

3. road traffic fatalities will be reduced by at least 50%

I think the Army should insist that the police have each officer breath-alizered for booze every 2 hours and documented...... My wife has 2 older brothers up north of Korat and they are "drunk as skunks" every night and unable to go out and perform any duties........ That is why all the accidents, Because no cops in sight and Thai's know they are not a threat. If Thai drivers would see a cop in action every few miles, they would be more cautious. So many Thai rural cops are drunk after dark (the ones on the night shifts) and that is when they need to be seen out there on the roads (when most accidents). 

The Army should go around to rural stations at night with an alcohol breath test and pull surprize inspections on each officer who is on the roster as 'working' (being sure to find all on the roster who may be at friend's houses drinking)......... They could even produce some 'Award Certs" to give to the ones that pass the tests.......... They shouldn't need so many 'certs'........ LOL

Not just my wife's 2 brothers but many of their mates on the same shifts........ Usually some 2 or 3 younger cops will be required to stay sober, just in case...........

34 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

I think the Army should insist that the police have each officer breath-alizered for booze every 2 hours and documented...... My wife has 2 older brothers up north of Korat and they are "drunk as skunks" every night and unable to go out and perform any duties........ That is why all the accidents, Because no cops in sight and Thai's know they are not a threat. If Thai drivers would see a cop in action every few miles, they would be more cautious. So many Thai rural cops are drunk after dark (the ones on the night shifts) and that is when they need to be seen out there on the roads (when most accidents). 

The Army should go around to rural stations at night with an alcohol breath test and pull surprize inspections on each officer who is on the roster as 'working' (being sure to find all on the roster who may be at friend's houses drinking)......... They could even produce some 'Award Certs" to give to the ones that pass the tests.......... They shouldn't need so many 'certs'........ LOL

Not just my wife's 2 brothers but many of their mates on the same shifts........ Usually some 2 or 3 younger cops will be required to stay sober, just in case...........

Certificates for not being drunk/passing alcohol test? Maybe there would be greater impact if those failing the test were summarily dismissed from the force.

2 minutes ago, joebrown said:

Certificates for not being drunk/passing alcohol test? Maybe there would be greater impact if those failing the test were summarily dismissed from the force.

Sorry.......... I thought that would be assumed 'automatically'

Yes........ ALL the drunks punished severely and made examples of..............

Mini vans not going over 90kmp would be a very good start!Let's hope this works.

They have to start some where, i read 85% of accidents were caused by speeding vehicles.

I will be travelling in one of those next week and i hope this GPS is installed and working.