Thai Contribution To The Humanity Progress

Adjan

Everywhere in the world people did discover or invent many things, even the littlest tribe in Africa.

Anyone knows any invention made by any Thai ? :o

They are more creative than most people in many countries I have lived in....and have learnt to make do and enjoy with what they got. That, in itself is admirable. :D

Everywhere in the world people did discover or invent many things, even the littlest tribe in Africa.

Anyone knows any invention made by any Thai ?  :o

They are more creative than most people in many countries I have lived in....and have learnt to make do and enjoy with what they got. That, in itself is admirable. :D

and......what have they invented?

Anyone knows any invention made by any Thai ?

From a simple 15 minute yahoo query .... I'm sure that more about Thai inventors could be found with a more detailed search.

Maybe there aren't any potential Nobel laureates ... but it doesn't seem as though everyone is either 3rd world hill tribe or pattya butterfly ....

http://www.feer.com/articles/2001/0112_20/.../p036innov.html

http://www.lerson.net/ipr/2003TLO/resources/TLO%20Talk.pdf

http://www.sanco.co.th/about/

http://www.gtzth.org/service/ppp3.php

http://www.immunitor-info.com/thai_inventors_claim.html

http://www.consultgurus.com/policyresearch.html

http://www.tiac.or.th/tiacweb/cas02_feb.html

tried to google some inventions.

are a silk bullet proof vest: Sujira Khojimate of the Bangkok-based Rajamangala Institute of Technology

a lightweight sampling loom: Sathit Putachaiyong, deputy-director for research and training at the Rajamangala Institute of Technology at Bangkok

Royally-granted Chaipattana Aerator": His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej

see aerator

Thai Automated Inspection and Punching Machine:Dr.Korntham Sathirakul, Mr.Bantoon Srisuwan and Mr.Singha Leeraphan, an MTEC's researcher: Dr. Wannee Chinsirikul

text related to :

Foreigners often think that because Thai people, like many other Southeast Asian people, tend to keep silent, smile and act politely in the presence of foreigners, that they do not have any ideas of their own and the lack of inventions fits this stereotype.

This is a little bit unfair since as David Wyatt points out in his book, Siam in Mind, poor Thai people have been creative in using bamboo and their own bodies to create traps and martial arts to find ways to protect themselves against armed invaders. People in Thailand also accurately calculated the calendar at an early date, before many European peoples, so that they would know when the monsoon was due to arrive. However, the long-tail boat is considered to be the last such invention that is internationally known.

more here

darknight;Thai Automated Inspection and Punching Machine:Dr.Korntham Sathirakul, Mr.Bantoon Srisuwan and Mr.Singha Leeraphan, an MTEC's researcher: Dr. Wannee Chinsirikul"

So now you know where the quality control is of all those high quality Thai products that do not work when you get them home.

I bought some foil encased insulation last week,each bag had a quality control persons stamp on the bottom,and some of the foil was not sealed and the glass was sticking out.

all threaded Thai pipe and fittings that I have bought have had over size straight thread in the females and under size straight thread on the male fittings,more like machine thread than tapered pipe thread.

the quality control kinda reminds me of Japan oproducts in 1950s and 60s.

the tuk-tuk.

You have obviously never seen an Ape (made by Piaggio industries in Italy, BTW "ape" means "bee"). Ape has made the history in the rural parts of Italy shortly after WWII.

It is an invention of the Italian engineer Corradino d'Ascanio, the father also of the world famous Vespa.

BTW it seems the Vespa is a fav there in LOS (first time I saw a historic Vespa gathering in Walking Street I was dying with laughters), crazy prices are asked for old models which are thrown around pretty much everywhere in car-wreckers here in Italy :D

In LOS, I have even spotted several restored Lambretta (the historic "enemy" of the Piaggio scooter, made by Innocenti, also in Italy).

Even up in Udon Thani they sell Vespa designer clothes and have Vespa gatherings.

My wife wanted one but seeing how it's nowadays regarded by the youngsters here she has changed her mind and we stick to our Piaggio NRG... :o

She was also disappointed to learn how I sold my grandpa's Lambretta Li 125 (year 1956!) for 350 euro and how I have recently owned myself a Vespa (but the newest model) for a summer :D

Thai food....taking the world by storm. So much so, that even that little village in Africa now has a Thai restuarant! :o

Not quite really!

I am really amazed at the high regard a lot of folks have for Thai food!

Anyway, I have to say that they usually are from anglo saxon countries.

Not that many French or Italians crazy for Thai food, for example.

In Italy there are very few Thai restaurants (and very few american fast foods I might add), the only ones I know of are in Rome and Milan and cater mainly to... Thais! :D

Your line on "even that little village in Africa now has a Thai restuarant" I think should be truer if changed as "even that little village in Africa now has an Italian restuarant"... :D

The food and the weather are two of the biggest CONS of Thailand to me!

I don't like the question very much it seems very condecending and suggests that Thais have not invented anything even when compared to tiny African tribes. I cannot find anything on Google or anywhere regarding the inventiveness of little African tribes and I am pretty sure that I know why.

Inventions are not necessarily a good thing!

BBC LEAST FAVOURITE INVENTIONS:

Atomic/Nuclear Weapons - 31.5%

Car alarms - 6%

Internal Combustion Engine - 11%

Landmines - 21.5%

Mobile Phones - 7%

Plastic Bags - 8%

Sinclair C5 - 2%

Speed Cameras - 7.5%

Television - 3.5%

Tetrapack© Cartons - 2%

In terms of inventions the British stand head and shoulders above all nations and account for c 5% of the World economy. The Japanese are notoriously uninventive and account for c12% of the world economy.Of course the Americans have both inventiveness and the drive to develop them commercially and account for c38% of the world economy.Why are the people so much nicer in Thailand and they seem to be much happier than the general populace in other countries.

QUOTE (taxexile @ Mon 2004-05-03, 11:38:27)

the tuk-tuk. 

You have obviously never seen an Ape (made by Piaggio industries in Italy, BTW "ape" means "bee"). Ape has made the history in the rural parts of Italy shortly after WWII.

It is an invention of the Italian engineer Corradino d'Ascanio, the father also of the world famous Vespa.

then i stand corrected, i have seen those things on the streets of europe,much smaller and less powerful than the tuk-tuk, but nevertheless tuk-tuk like.

so the tuk-tuk is just another thai copy, but a pretty iconic copy though, almost a national symbol.

Anyone knows any invention made by any Thai ? :o

nothing of earth shattering proportions , Thais are not taught to think for themselves at school , creative thinking just doesnt figure in their minds.

then they dont have the financial resources to develop any original ideas ,or the inclination .

Anything they might figure is original isnt, because they dont travel enough to know what going on around the world, so they are not clued up .

even the bamboo products are lacklustre and poor , a whole load of original bamboo designs are coming out of China but not Thailand .

They are like sheep ,maybe its a product of their political system ,the old military command not so long ago ,meant that you kept your mouth shut and kept in line.

Free thinkers werent encouraged and everyone knew their place.

Original creative thinking comes with full democracy ,westerners seem to forget that Thailand until recent times has had a military controlled political system .

maybe the long tailed boat ?

:D

Didn't they invent the sick buffalo ?

oh yeah and the Begging letter , "My Granny is dead please send money for funeral "

hard copy and email versions .....

how about the Tora Tora massage ???

and the "ladyboy "

and the "cheap charlie"

and "no money no honey "

and THE BAR FINE !!!!

A surgeon friend tells me that Thai doctors have developed an international reputation for innovation in sexual reassignment surgery. I guess that means you could say they perfected the man-made vagina. So take that and stick it up your light blub, Thomas Edison.....