Gullivers on Khao San Road closed??

CG1 Blue

Hi

Over the years I have often spent a night in KSR during my trips to Thailand. Since my first ever trip over 15 years ago I've always spent a good part of the night in Gullivers, but when I was in KSR in March it was closed and looked a bit derelict.

Does anybody know if this is a permanent closure, or if it was just temporary?

Thanks 

The tipical TV/user would rather be found dead as found on that road. From what I recall-no garantee- is that it has moved out to better or more lucrative surroundings-of course somewhere near the lower Sukhumvits. Dontknow if it survives there or maybe has changed name. At least 2 yrs ago by now or so. Nearly all Thai places that take themselves seriously have some fb-page-try to find it.

I don't know. Been in Thailand 20 years or so and very occasionally enjoy a stroll and a beer down Khao San Road. Great to see young people coming to Thailand for the first time and enjoying it. Just like me 20-odd years ago. Long may it continue. 

31 minutes ago, cms22 said:

I don't know. Been in Thailand 20 years or so and very occasionally enjoy a stroll and a beer down Khao San Road. Great to see young people coming to Thailand for the first time and enjoying it. Just like me 20-odd years ago. Long may it continue. 

Totally agree, only probably go there once a year or so, but always enjoy an evening sitting in one of the road side restaurants having a couple of beers watching the comings and goings. Makes me reminisce on the first days when i arrived in Thailand many years ago and spent a few drink fueled days around KSR.

Last time i went was a few months ago and Gullivers did look pretty run down so not sure it was open. However i have seen fairly recent photos of people inside drinking. They used to have one on Suk soi 5 or 7, and another one on beach road in Pattaya close to the Amari. Not sure either of them are still open.

4 hours ago, Blackheart1916 said:

KSR Gulliver's been closed for years, the Suk Soi 5 one was still open last time I stuck my head in, about 2 years ago I think.

Was in Soi 5 Gullies last night...up & running.

4 hours ago, Blackheart1916 said:

KSR Gulliver's been closed for years, the Suk Soi 5 one was still open last time I stuck my head in, about 2 years ago I think.

The one on Suk Soi 5 is still going strong.

Tired now though IMO.  Hardly ever any atmosphere in the place the last few times I've been in.  Varying times / days too.  Dull as dishwater early on and so so service.  Won't order Guinness there now for sure given it's been crap on several occasions :post-4641-1156693976:

6 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Totally agree, only probably go there once a year or so, but always enjoy an evening sitting in one of the road side restaurants having a couple of beers watching the comings and goings. Makes me reminisce on the first days when i arrived in Thailand many years ago and spent a few drink fueled days around KSR.

Last time i went was a few months ago and Gullivers did look pretty run down so not sure it was open. However i have seen fairly recent photos of people inside drinking. They used to have one on Suk soi 5 or 7, and another one on beach road in Pattaya close to the Amari. Not sure either of them are still open.

This is exactly why I go there!  I go about once a year, sit in somewhere like Centre Bar and watch the world go by.  Seeing all the first time travellers excited about their 1st Thailand experience, as I was 16 years ago or so.  It's a lovely bit of nostalgia for me.

Gullivers was where we used to hang out later on in the night back then, and I have always gone back there.  Sad to see it go.

Thanks for the replies.  I notice some of you say Gullivers KSR closed a long time ago, but it was definitely open in 2016 - because I spent a whole night in there last year.

I have been to Gullivers in Sukhumvit a couple of times, but as I say above, the one in KSR was always a nice nostalgia trip for me. Oh well!

12 hours ago, asanee said:

The tipical TV/user would rather be found dead as found on that road. From what I recall-no garantee- is that it has moved out to better or more lucrative surroundings-of course somewhere near the lower Sukhumvits. Dontknow if it survives there or maybe has changed name. At least 2 yrs ago by now or so. Nearly all Thai places that take themselves seriously have some fb-page-try to find it.

With all due respect, we all like different things.  If we all wanted to be typical TV users it would be a pretty boring place...

7 hours ago, Blackheart1916 said:

Gullivers at Suk 5 is Still open and doing fine !!!

13 hours ago, asanee said:

the tipical [sic] TV user will be dead soon anyways.

and gullivers did not move the sukhumvit branch has been there for at least 10 years

1 hour ago, HooHaa said:

the tipical [sic] TV user will be dead soon anyways.

and gullivers did not move the sukhumvit branch has been there for at least 10 years

Yes, I was going to say that about the Sukhumvit Gullivers - it wasn't moved there from KSR :saai:

On 4/5/2017 at 7:18 AM, cms22 said:

I heard it was closed for the Songklan? I always had a great time there...

Gulliver's KSR has always been packed

On 4/5/2017 at 2:32 PM, CG1 Blue said:

Thanks for the replies.  I notice some of you say Gullivers KSR closed a long time ago, but it was definitely open in 2016 - because I spent a whole night in there last year.

I have been to Gullivers in Sukhumvit a couple of times, but as I say above, the one in KSR was always a nice nostalgia trip for me. Oh well!

Yes it was still open last year but was getting pretty shabby. Despite that, it was always packed out when I have been there late at night.

I can't confirm but I think they had issues involving the Police, West Africans and substances. Being located spitting distance from Chanasongkhram Police Station probably didn't help matters.

It's a shame because it had a certain character that I haven't seen anywhere else on KSR - not that I have looked very hard. Anyone know a similar pub style place around there?

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 5:32 PM, thedemon said:

Yes it was still open last year but was getting pretty shabby. Despite that, it was always packed out when I have been there late at night.

I can't confirm but I think they had issues involving the Police, West Africans and substances. Being located spitting distance from Chanasongkhram Police Station probably didn't help matters.

It's a shame because it had a certain character that I haven't seen anywhere else on KSR - not that I have looked very hard. Anyone know a similar pub style place around there?

I totally agree, it was different from all the other places on KSR, and it's a real shame it's gone. Given that it was always packed, I fear you're right, that it must have been a police issue.

When I was there last month I couldn't find anything similar in the area, but then I only had one night to find somewhere, and I was unprepared not knowing Gullivers was closed. Ended up drinking with the crowds out on the street, which was a bit sh1t to be honest...

• 1 month later...
On 2017-4-8 at 3:54 PM, 6thST said:

I heard it was closed for the Songklan? I always had a great time there...

Quite possibly that's all that's happened.

Although it did close some time ago, it re-opened. When it re-opened it didn't really have the same Gulliver's format, ie instead of being open all day for food and everything else, it was now a nightclub, opening after 21:00. Whenever I went in there it was pretty dead and I wonder if the new, possibly misconceived format was in fact the end-doing of the place, if it has closed for good. Maybe it has just closed for Sonkran, or perhaps the low season.

I think it also had fire damage. It certainly lost the smoking area a long time ago, that used to be a bit of a balcony. The tuk tuk above the door went a while ago, and the signage and lots else has gone and covered by suit seller's scaffolding etc.

I don't think we'll ever see it back to a proper Guillivers, and that is a shame, as it was a place where the less smelly non-hippie type with a few quid could enjoy aircon and beer.

On 4/5/2017 at 7:43 AM, pest said:

seems they have 5 pubs in Thailand

http://www.gulliverbangkok.com/branch.php

Their website still lists KSR as one of their locations. But then again, their website also shows a 1996 copyright. So I'm guessing it's safe to assume, the website is long out-of-date. The way whomever built it, not so easy to simply remove one of their (original) location listings.

13 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Their website still lists KSR as one of their locations. But then again, their website also shows a 1996 copyright. So I'm guessing it's safe to assume, the website is long out-of-date. The way whomever built it, not so easy to simply remove one of their (original) location listings.

I had assumed the same, I don't think that website will ever be updated. The website also lists the Mayompuri Gullivers... remember that anyone?? A huge, swanky Gulliver's bar, literally just around the corner from the Khao San Road establishment. That closed ages ago and will not be opening again either. I doubt many ever even knew that existed, but it will no doubt be captured forever on the website which will clearly never be updated ever again, TiT.

On 08/04/2017 at 5:32 PM, thedemon said:

gullivers went through various reincarnations through the years, at one time it was an excellent place to meet local ladies looking for fun with foreigners; not for money, not for a relationship, just simple fun. i had many memorable times with such ladies and  watched england win the rugby world cup there with a little cutie sitting on my knee.

i popped in now and then over the years. towards the end it became a haunt for working girls and then a sort of night club place.  at it's height it would be rammed but latterly not. i never saw any drugs dealt there, in fact a policeman i know used to work security there.

the number and popularity of cheap street drinking places on KSR must have contributed to its downfall.

KSR is nowhere near the same now as 20+ years ago when I arrived on my first trip. Very few people are doing the backpack/travelling thing these days, it's more 'extended trips' or 'gap years' so they have more cash to play with (or Daddy's credit card) than I first went and people were on budgets until they picked up work somewhere in Asia.

As above, I do remember it being a pretty cool place to meet local women, girls from the Uni and generally curious Thais hanging out amongst the 'bohemian' farang vibe or something like that.

Met a fair few women in there and was pretty cool for a few years. This is probably more than 10 years back though, maybe more. Fast forward a few years after that and there was a hell of a lot of hookers hanging out in there and it had become a lot more sukhumvit-y.

So many bars opened down KSR these days. I can do a couple of days on a trip there but the youngsters seem to get stupider every year and they annoy me. If not them the cheap teachers wanting to expound their views on all things Thai after their 8 month stint living in Banglumphoo ...

It can be fun though, drinks pretty cheap but I think Rambuttri probably a better place to eat and drink these days or for a long time now. I think that film The Beach really really made a huge difference in bringing these gap year kids and people being supported by their parents in coming over and certainly changed KSR a lot.

I always marvel at that street side bar 'very strong drinks, we don't check ID' as the police stroll up and down without a care in the world :ph34r:

You see some young Thais hanging out in those street places cause maybe they can't get in the nearby bars or late night clubs

I have close ties with Khao San road and can confirm it closed about a year ago and is still closed today.

It was very busy 5 years ago and it was difficult to walk to the toilet  from the entrance due to the mass of bodies encountered. One had to squeeze past many clientele; some times I did not mind doing so.  It was packed with young Thai ladies and younger male tourists and also older males, of which I was one, and I knew many of the ladies who frequented the establishment.

In the last few years it went downhill due to, perhaps , bad reviews on TA, charging persons of colour entance money. Whether true or not I don't know.  See link....https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g293916-d546026-r135767210-Gullivers-Bangkok.html

It did not help that they did not have a happy hour to entice the early customer. It would never get busy til after 11pm or later.  Eventually it never got busy. Small beers were priced at 110 baht for most Thai brands.

Similar clientele can now be found 50 metres down the road at a large bar on the same side.

On 2017-5-19 at 2:04 PM, BangkokTony said:

In the last few years it went downhill due to, perhaps , bad reviews on TA, charging persons of colour entance money. Whether true or not I don't know.  See link....https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g293916-d546026-r135767210-Gullivers-Bangkok.html

I highly doubt charging an African an entrance fee had any contribution to it's demise. We all know most of the African dudes walking up and down Khaosan are dealers ready to deal and chase girls.

On 2017-5-19 at 5:04 AM, BangkokTony said:

I have close ties with Khao San road and can confirm it closed about a year ago and is still closed today.

It was very busy 5 years ago and it was difficult to walk to the toilet  from the entrance due to the mass of bodies encountered. One had to squeeze past many clientele; some times I did not mind doing so.  It was packed with young Thai ladies and younger male tourists and also older males, of which I was one, and I knew many of the ladies who frequented the establishment.

It did not help that they did not have a happy hour to entice the early customer. It would never get busy til after 11pm or later.  Eventually it never got busy. Small beers were priced at 110 baht for most Thai brands.

Similar clientele can now be found 50 metres down the road at a large bar on the same side.

Thanks. We got a solid answer in the end, I've been asking for a while and no one knew for sure. I remember it 5+ years ago, those were the days for some shenanigans.

Archived