Gullivers on Khao San Road closed??

CG1 Blue

On 4/5/2017 at 8:29 AM, CG1 Blue said:

This is exactly why I go there!  I go about once a year, sit in somewhere like Centre Bar and watch the world go by.  Seeing all the first time travellers excited about their 1st Thailand experience, as I was 16 years ago or so.  It's a lovely bit of nostalgia for me.

Gullivers was where we used to hang out later on in the night back then, and I have always gone back there.  Sad to see it go.

I know this is an old thread, but this why i used to go to gullivers for the nostalgia. As a 21 year old, 15 years ago I spent a few drunken nights there. I went back 6 years later and it had turned into a bit of a seedy place.

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 5:04 AM, BangkokTony said:

Similar clientele can now be found 50 metres down the road at a large bar on the same side.

For some reason I didn't see all these comments from May.  You say a large bar on the same side, actually in KSR, and a similar clientele??

The last time I was in KSR all the drinking seemed to be on the street.

1 hour ago, Richb81 said:

I know this is an old thread, but this why i used to go to gullivers for the nostalgia. As a 21 year old, 15 years ago I spent a few drunken nights there. I went back 6 years later and it had turned into a bit of a seedy place.

Yep, a real shame. It seemed to have a winning formula back in the day. It seems they've paid the price for changing what didn't need changing.

6 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

For some reason I didn't see all these comments from May.  You say a large bar on the same side, actually in KSR, and a similar clientele??

The last time I was in KSR all the drinking seemed to be on the street.

Khao San Center bar is where some of the girls have moved on to. Not so many older guys.  Only 3 or 4 there last night.   Me and another guy.

8 minutes ago, BangkokTony said:

Khao San Center bar is where some of the girls have moved on to. Not so many older guys.  Only 3 or 4 there last night.   Me and another guy.

Ok.  I used to eat in Centre bar, the one with the pool table inside and quite a few tables outside, near D&D Inn?  I always saw that place as an eating joint, or maybe for a couple of beers at the end of the night. Maybe it's taken on a new role since the changes in KSR?

• 2 weeks later...

Why is there so much KSR bashing? We are all different, just because you don't like something doesn't mean somebody else won't. KSR is usually the first place westerners arrive on their trip to Thailand and gives them an amusing and reasonably safe introduction. I can only think that because most people enjoying themselves there are 18-30 years old, that the fat bald and ugly lot don't like it so stay on Sukhumvit where they will be amongst similar types.

The first time I arrived in Thailand, I had a hotel booked in Soi Rambuttri. I was 27, and had been heavily into weight training for 10+ years so had a truly awesome time.

17 hours ago, pr9spk said:

Why is there so much KSR bashing? We are all different, just because you don't like something doesn't mean somebody else won't. KSR is usually the first place westerners arrive on their trip to Thailand and gives them an amusing and reasonably safe introduction. I can only think that because most people enjoying themselves there are 18-30 years old, that the fat bald and ugly lot don't like it so stay on Sukhumvit where they will be amongst similar types.

The first time I arrived in Thailand, I had a hotel booked in Soi Rambuttri. I was 27, and had been heavily into weight training for 10+ years so had a truly awesome time.

Are you reading the same thread as I am?

• 1 month later...

Was Gullivers the place with the swimmingpool? I also have good old memories about that place.

But since last years many restaurant invested a lot in large terraces with nice statues/waterfalls/chairs and so...looks much better than before.

I also visit once a year to have dinner and walk around the area...there are still the same frogvendors around, same indian tailors who have touts standing in your walkway..all the cheap tshirts and so..

But the neighbourhood improves every year i think, it's more fun than any soi downtown around sukhumvit where the old guys are staying.

It's fun to see those green backpackers and their manners. Last time there i was searching for a good kebab, (not from a cart with chicken) but still couldn't find it...

In general the food is good around KSR and so is the beer. I only don't like the diseased soidogs who are allowed to come into the restaurants.

On 5/19/2017 at 12:04 PM, BangkokTony said:

I have close ties with Khao San road and can confirm it closed about a year ago and is still closed today.

It was very busy 5 years ago and it was difficult to walk to the toilet  from the entrance due to the mass of bodies encountered. One had to squeeze past many clientele; some times I did not mind doing so.  It was packed with young Thai ladies and younger male tourists and also older males, of which I was one, and I knew many of the ladies who frequented the establishment.

In the last few years it went downhill due to, perhaps , bad reviews on TA, charging persons of colour entance money. Whether true or not I don't know.  See link....https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g293916-d546026-r135767210-Gullivers-Bangkok.html

It did not help that they did not have a happy hour to entice the early customer. It would never get busy til after 11pm or later.  Eventually it never got busy. Small beers were priced at 110 baht for most Thai brands.

Similar clientele can now be found 50 metres down the road at a large bar on the same side.

the cover charge for africans happened at soi 5 sukhumvit. 

not khao san

1 hour ago, HooHaa said:

the cover charge for africans happened at soi 5 sukhumvit. 

not khao san

A very silly tripadvisor review.

"Gullivers", "Ko Shan" with a map of Sukkumvit area.

If I wasn't too lazy I would report it.

Or where is this Ko Shan (island) :sleep:

Archived