Be a man of peace, Pope urges Prince Charles

webfact

Be a man of peace, Pope urges Prince Charles

REUTERS

r3.jpg

Pope Francis exchanges gifts with Britain's Prince Charles and his wife Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, as they arrive for a private audience at the Vatican, April 4, 2017. REUTERS/ Vincenzo Pinto/Pool

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Pope Francis met Britain's Prince Charles on Tuesday at the Vatican, telling him to be a man of peace.

The Prince of Wales and his wife the Duchess of Cornwall spoke in private for about 30 minutes with the pope in one of his studies near the Vatican's large audience hall.

"Wherever you go, may you be a man of peace," Francis told Charles during the public part of the audience, in which the three had their pictures taken and exchanged gifts. Francis gave him a small bronze figure of an olive branch.

"I'll do my best," said the heir to the British throne, who is on a tour of Romania, Italy and Austria with his wife.

Charles gave the pope a basket of home-made foods from his Highgrove country estate and indicated that the pope would likely donate it to others, as he usually does.

"Someone else might like it," Charles said.

Both are strong defenders of the environment. Francis gave Charles a copy of his 2015 encyclical letter Laudato Si (Praised Be), which called for urgent action to deal with climate change.

The two are also strong backers of the 2015 Paris Agreement to curb world temperatures, which U.S. President Donald Trump has threatened to abandon.

(Reporting by Philip Pullella; Editing by Alison Williams)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-04-05

52 minutes ago, humqdpf said:

That showed that well-known war-mongerer, Prince Charles! (for those with a sense of humour limit, this is meant to be ironic)

The Pope may be alluding to the proposed royal visit to Israel this year:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/palestinian-campaign-israel-royal-visit-israel-netanyahu-israel-prince-charles-a7620251.html

I have no time for the Pope, but feel sorry for him to the extent that his job involves meeting so many important/famous etc. etc. people, that it must be difficult coming up with anything to say that is relevant.

Its funny though when his 'briefing' is so non-existent (or his memory so bad) that he's left spouting platitudes - that are then reported by the press :smile:!

1 hour ago, oldgent said:

30 minutes .. wonder what they talked about ? could,nt have been about

the Wives.

The pope made nervous small talk to cover up the embarrasment caused by Camilla turning up in the same frock he was wearing.

On 4/5/2017 at 8:05 PM, Beats56 said:

It will be sad day when the Queen is gone. Saw her when I was a wee lad In Canada in an parade in my home town. That was a long time ago. Never forgot that.

Why? William should make an excellent king, and his wife is easy on the eye.

As for her, I doubt she has smiled since the annus horribilis.