Any good schools teaching English language to adults?

funlovinkid

Over the past few months, I've become rather fond of a young Lao woman, and we've reached the point where I would like to put her into a good English language school here in the Pattaya area.  Also, since she's Lao, I understand that a 1-year educational visa is available, which I'd like to pursue.

I know of at least three schools in the area that teach English, but I have no idea how good they are.  I think it's important for her to be taught by native English speakers (rather than Thais), for obvious reasons.  Does anyone have any good experiences with any such schools here?  Many thanks for any input.

Excel school just outside Big C south Pattaya is the lowest priced at 17,000 baht/year. Anyone introducing a new customer is paid 10% in cash immediately upon full payment.

I cannot vouch for the quality of the lessons although I have seen/heard many people with English as second language enrolled at Excel. 

7 hours ago, NYGuy816 said:

Have you tried checking out AUA?

AUA will only accept you if you can at least read and understand the English alphabet 

1 hour ago, stravers said:

Anyone introducing a new customer is paid 10% in cash immediately upon full payment.

Any language school that offers a bounty would not be my first choice 

4 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

AUA will only accept you if you can at least read and understand the English alphabet 

Any language school that offers a bounty would not be my first choice 

My understanding is AUA at the first level is taught by a Thai teacher. Beyond that Native English Speakers. Understanding anything isn't/wasn't required. 

Prepayment is always the goal with most things of this sort in Thailand, be they long term dental work or private English schools. So many drop out of the English schools, well you get the point. I wouldn't call it a bounty, more like a commission on a sale which we all know will most likely result in a drop out or be, well again, many drop out after a couple lessons or of course, once the "relationship" goes sour due to the farang not understanding her family and basic need of 40,000. Baht a month, not 10,000. Baht a month. Good luck to the OP and his partner and God Bless you both. Lao women are certainly much different than Thai, Khmer, or Philippine women. 

ps: Pre Payment of one year's worth of English lessons for a Lao lady at a language school? Think it through....and you can only conclude one thing...

22 minutes ago, BruceMangosteen said:

My understanding is AUA at the first level is taught by a Thai teacher. Beyond that Native English Speakers. Understanding anything isn't/wasn't required.

All I can do is report what AUA told me when I wanted to send my girlfriend to their Korat  branch and they pretty much said the Pattaya location followed the same rules:

Ideally she would need to be able to read and write the very basics of English. She should know at least the ABC's, numbers and things such as "My name is, I am from, How old are you, I am ...." etc. 
If she can read a very simple passage from a book and write a few lines about herself, she more than likely would be able to start at AUA Korat's level 1. I beleive the starter course in Pattaya is for those who cannot meets these requirements and  then teach them to be literate first off. Most of the time this is for students who have not met our Matyom 4 requirement. This means that all AUA student must complete Matyom 3 before they are allowed to study.