PM: Public must "understand" taxi drivers who refuse fares

webfact

1 hour ago, ThaiCitizen said:

He's usually on his way home from a 12 hour shift and looking for a quick fare. If it's in the opposite direction he doesn't want it. Chris, it ain't rocket science. Quite right PM.

No one put a gun to his head and forced him to become a taxi driver. Do your job or lose your license. That should be the rule.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

His a funny man this leader not long ago he was up the taxi drivers now he is asking the public to be more understandind everything is not cut and dried ! Totaly agree that goes for everything ! You can see he is getting more and more frustrated when he is finished with Pattaya there will be a lot more frustrated !

30 minutes ago, Monomial said:

If you have never received the message "No drivers are currently available" when trying to use Uber or Grab, then you are either very lucky or just don't have enough experience with it.

Ive also been stood by a road, waiting ages for a taxi to drive by .

If there is a shortage of Uber cars, then the solution is to make all Taxis get on the Uber system 

It would be so convenient for everyone, drivers, passengers and other road users

Going to the airport with a family : Drag all your luggage to a main road , wait by the road in the hope that a taxi goes by empty , then try to explain your destination .

Either that, or sit at home, order a an Uber car agree on the destination, fare and time of pick up, and sit at home waiting for him to arrive

So much more convenient for everyone 

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Singapore has it sussed, the taxis have smart rooftop signs, if they are going off shift the sign shows where they are headed, easy eh?

singapore_taxi_signs.jpg

Here are some suggestions for Thai taxi equivalent:

"Somtam", "Machete", "Issaan Music", "No Change", "Huh!", "Phone Call"

:smile:

I moved out of Bangkok to avoid the taxis (Reason *1 & *3)

Really: in particular; I got tired of depending on drivers to/from the airport.

There are a few decent drivers but the bad/crooked ones are a real pain.

I wish them well/farewell.

I may still need to be in Bangkok as there are no direct flights to Nakon Phanom. Hopefully; there would be other arrangements if i need to leave the airport.

3 Reasons for leaving Bangkok:

*1 Bangkok taxis

*2 Bangkok road traffic

*3 still Bangkok taxis

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Public must "understand" taxi drivers....

I'm going to give it a try......they are selfish, greedy, prowlers looking for easy, selective prey, and they don't at all consider themselves to be in the business of providing a public service. 

5 minutes ago, Sphere said:

I'm going to give it a try......they are selfish, greedy, prowlers looking for easy, selective prey, and they don't at all consider themselves to be in the business of providing a public service. 

I don't even mind them being selfish and greedy. What I DO mind is refusing to do their job simply because they don't want to take you to a particular destination, They are being offered MONEY. Most working people do not have the luxury of refusing money.

2 hours ago, ThaiCitizen said:

He's usually on his way home from a 12 hour shift and looking for a quick fare. If it's in the opposite direction he doesn't want it. Chris, it ain't rocket science. Quite right PM.

In Singapore drivers on the way home at the end of a shift have a sign saying where they are heading so a potential passenger knows whether it is worth flagging him down. It ain't rocket science

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Singapore has it sussed, the taxis have smart rooftop signs, if they are going off shift the sign shows where they are headed, easy eh?

singapore_taxi_signs.jpg

No! No! No! Learning from other countries (aka smart thinking) is frowned upon. Naughty boy Crossy, wash your mouth out with soap!! :jap:  

In Singapore; it is not a perfect system.

Only can say that the drivers earn their money most of the time.

Much better record than recent politicians paid millions who are not doing their job.

Used to be ok; imagine a driver that does not send you to your desired destination and yet collect money.

Most governments are useless; some more useless than others.

Most taxi drivers are useful; a few are in Bangkok.

if the public "has" to understand the reason for taxi's not to pick up passengers, than what is the established law for? if you are not going to enforce it, get rid of it.  As for the PM, I have watched  some his nightly programs with english subtitles, and I have to admit that he does have the Thai people's well being in mind. he makes a lot of sense with his speeches, but it will be very for him to get all his good ideas in action. best of luck to him.

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

singapore_taxi_signs.jpg

Singapore has gotten many things right. I guess it's due to strict enforcement and punishment such as caning. They should bring that here, a few good slaps from the belt will help Somchai undahstaand what the rules are.

3 minutes ago, captspectre said:

if the public "has" to understand the reason for taxi's not to pick up passengers, than what is the established law for? if you are not going to enforce it, get rid of it.  As for the PM, I have watched  some his nightly programs with english subtitles, and I have to admit that he does have the Thai people's well being in mind. he makes a lot of sense with his speeches, but it will be very for him to get all his good ideas in action. best of luck to him.

Satire or real? Maybe late April Fool joke. Maybe the Thailand heat too? 

Whipping a taxi driver..my my..

We have had a few where they stop to pick us up, then 2km later pull into a station to fill up, one did ask and he stopped the meter, no car in front of him. One other picked us up just pulled in, didn't say a word, 5 cars in front of him, left meter running so we stepped out, my wife gave him the 60 baht fare which I said no! He should of filled up before and not even stopped if he had to fill up. In the last few months only got turned down twice NO REASON! just said no!

11 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Singapore has gotten many things right. I guess it's due to strict enforcement and punishment such as caning. They should bring that here, a few good slaps from the belt will help Somchai undahstaand what the rules are.

For the Capt..from Glocesterman 555

18 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Singapore has gotten many things right..

Used to...get things right.

Now kind of living off foundation from Raffles/Harry Lee & Team.

Poor Lee Jr: nobody asked if he wanted the PM job. Maybe he did not wish to be an army general too.

Once you start...what else can a uniform wearing stars do for career progression?

Yes this is usually the reason but it doesn't make it right.  Either you turn off your meter/taxi available light or be prepared to accept passengers wherever they need to go.

I just started using uber and no problems yet.  Done with the taxi lottery.  Is he going to accept?  Is he going to drive the best route? Is he going to use the meter?  Is he going to say I'm ugly? (previous article).  That stress is gone.  If an uber vehicle isn't available, then i can wait or try my luck with a taxi.  Haven't had to yet.

Taxis in bkk are awful and a lot of them just want the Base fare for a quick job nice and easy and it springs to mind that they do this possibly because if they go on a longer journey they may be stop checked. Let's face it a GOOD portion of them are hiding something be it a record not spent or a gun not registered. Also a lot of em are renting the cab from the real taxi driver who cannot be bothered to do the job he's registered to do. This chap Prayut is way off the mark.